Looking for a Counterpoint

Gem

Rookie
Aug 11, 2004
NBC's comedy depiction of talkradio king Rush Limbaugh passed-out in vomit from drug abuse ignited backstage outrage at SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.

The animated sketch left one senior production source stunned and outraged, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

"Would we have done this to [John] Belushi? [Chris] Farley?" the source said on Sunday from New York.

The source asked not to be identified fearing retribution from SNL's executive producer Lorne Michaels.

"We've had more fu**ing drug addicts on this show through the years... more tragedy. I have lost count. Did we ever have some laughs about Robert Downey Jr.'s serious drug addiction?"

The crass montage which aired on NBC featured Limbaugh vomiting from drugs on a bathroom floor, in an apparent overdose.

Last year, Limbaugh announced to his radio audience that he was seeking treatment for an addiction to pain medication.

Ok, my take on this is very similar to the outraged source's take on it...they never did skits mocking Belushi or Farley when they were living, even though their drug use and alcoholism were well known (and occassionally joked about backstage). They have had hosts ranging from Ozzie Ozbourne and his children, to Robin Williams, all former (or present) drug users who remained unmocked in the manner in which Limbaugh was.

Is there any LOGICAL way to look at this other than the liberal SNL crew's desire to mock Limbaugh in a this tactless manner? Does anyone here honestly believe that they would show Kelly or Jack Osbourne (Ozzy's drug-addicted kids) face down in their own puke as a "cute and funny" sketch??? Does anyone here honestly believe that there wouldn't be an immediate outcry from the liberal community about the insensitivity of such a skit?

manu1959 said:
SNL is still on TV???????????
no shit!!

but, as everyone knows, nothing is sacred anymore. i was in spencers the other day and seen a posable Jesus figurine

Gem said:
Ok, my take on this is very similar to the outraged source's take on it...they never did skits mocking Belushi or Farley when they were living, even though their drug use and alcoholism were well known (and occassionally joked about backstage). They have had hosts ranging from Ozzie Ozbourne and his children, to Robin Williams, all former (or present) drug users who remained unmocked in the manner in which Limbaugh was.

Is there any LOGICAL way to look at this other than the liberal SNL crew's desire to mock Limbaugh in a this tactless manner? Does anyone here honestly believe that they would show Kelly or Jack Osbourne (Ozzy's drug-addicted kids) face down in their own puke as a "cute and funny" sketch??? Does anyone here honestly believe that there wouldn't be an immediate outcry from the liberal community about the insensitivity of such a skit?

It's no secret SNL exists not to make people laugh anymore but as an hour and a half infomercial against Bush, Christians, conservatives etc... with maybe a few innocous skits thrown in for good measure. I stopped watching because I can't stand Tina Fey's rendition of a liberal smug anchorwoman (loosely used) using what is sarcastic diatribe against mostly Bush, Rumsfeld etc...with a few benign jabs at others........

They hate Rush period because he's tremendously sucessful and influential as they are not. I think he should be flattered that they devoted a whole skit to him in the hopes of making him look bad to those that already despise him, and in the process made themselves look like Jackasses!!!!!!!!!

Said1 said:
I'm sorry, but I found Will Farrel's Bush impersonations really funny. Other than that the show really sucks.

please don't ding me :)

Quite the opposite luv, you get points for having good taste, I like Will Farrel, and also Chris Katan when he does the whole Goth kids thing.... very funny...........

I loved the old SNL, but I NEVER watch SNL these days. Haven't in years. I like MAD TV but even it has started getting political over the last year. Not nearly as bad as SNL though, so I can stomach it.

I just love getting stoned and watching MAD TV! :dance:

Perhaps the difference between Belushi and Limbuagh is the hypocrisy level.

Limbaugh is a person who takes high moral ground against others, now revealed all the while to have been committing criminal acts and engaging in sinful, recreational drug abuse (or fighting an addiction, which is how liberals would prefer to see it). Belushi was a party animal who happily promoted partying.

It's like when they followed some traffic court judges driving home, and found them speeding. It made the front page, because of the hypocrisy of it.

The thing that makes the most angry about the Limbaugh case is that when a wealthy person like him has an addiction, he can afford all the private rehab he wants. All the while, advocates of cutting social spending are denying poorer people those same rehab benefits. We have waiting lists for rehab now even in Massachusetts.

Mariner.

freeandfun1 said:
I loved the old SNL, but I NEVER watch SNL these days. Haven't in years. I like MAD TV but even it has started getting political over the last year. Not nearly as bad as SNL though, so I can stomach it.

I just love getting stoned and watching MAD TV! :dance:

I was going to say the same thing about Mad TV, they used to be really funny, but even they are getting too political.

Mariner said:
The thing that makes the most angry about the Limbaugh case is that when a wealthy person like him has an addiction, he can afford all the private rehab he wants. All the while, advocates of cutting social spending are denying poorer people those same rehab benefits. We have waiting lists for rehab now even in Massachusetts. .
People are angry that Limbaugh can pay for his own rehab??

Mariner said:

Limbaugh is a person who takes high moral ground against others, now revealed all the while to have been committing criminal acts and engaging in sinful, recreational drug abuse (or fighting an addiction, which is how liberals would prefer to see it). Belushi was a party animal who happily promoted partying.

It's like when they followed some traffic court judges driving home, and found them speeding. It made the front page, because of the hypocrisy of it.

The thing that makes the most angry about the Limbaugh case is that when a wealthy person like him has an addiction, he can afford all the private rehab he wants. All the while, advocates of cutting social spending are denying poorer people those same rehab benefits. We have waiting lists for rehab now even in Massachusetts.

Mariner.

In the previous years leading up to the airing of his addiction Rush Limbaugh had changed his position to "We need more rehab programs."

The whole hypocrisy factor is only in the eyes of those who didn't listen to him. At one time he had the position that they should all go to jail, but some time around 1998 he began talking about working on the problem of addiction rather than constantly putting those people in jail.

There is some assumption as to his beliefs on the issue from those that do not listen or care to listen to what he actually says, but there is little if any hypocrisy in his rehab.

I once heard somebody say that Rush had never said he did the drugs because he liked them. I listened to his program for three days after he got back from his rehab and heard him say those very words repetitively. He also apologized, another thing many say he hasn't done, and took responsibility for the addiction. He was clearly working on his 12 steps.

Mariner said:

LOL Hypocrisy coming form liberals is the order of the day!

Limbaugh had back surgery and took a prescription to pain medication that is well known for being highly addictive, just ask anyone in Hollywood about that. He got clean and is dealing with his back pain without medication as of now. Regarding Belushi, yes so all murderers who come right and say they are murderers should be praised for having the guts to be honest??? REALLY LOL

Well that's life isn't it. Rush worked hard to get where he is now, and yes he can afford the best care............so what
The government has programs galore, the fact that there are waiting lines for treatment means people need to be more responsible for themselves and governement is not the answer to all our problems.

dilloduck said:
All in the Family is still funny ! :teeth:

It is.... however, Archie makes some good points but it's always couched in the context of bigotry and ignorance taking away any validity of them.

Well, it's nice to hear conservatives defending the need for rehab programs, and admiring a drug abuser rather than condemning him to hell. It's quite liberal of y'all, and refreshing : )

Now I hope you put your money where your mouth is, and oppose further tax cuts that will force budget cuts in rehab programs.

Mariner.

Mariner said:
Well, it's nice to hear conservatives defending the need for rehab programs, and admiring a drug abuser rather than condemning him to hell. It's quite liberal of y'all, and refreshing : )

Now I hope you put your money where your mouth is, and oppose further tax cuts that will force budget cuts in rehab programs.

Mariner.

I am not a Conservative as you would define it. I believe the war on drugs is a fallacy and expensive in the extreme and that treatment is the solution rather than an afterthought. However I think that rehab is better led at the State Level rather than the Federal Level especially since it is most often the State officers and courts that deal with the addicts.

Mariner said:

I don't admire anyone who is a drug abuser, but I do respect them when they get help for their problem and not make it anyone else's problem.........

But wait a minute I thought the deficit was the real issue and that budget cuts were the way Bush could fix this?????

Sorry, Mariner...but this is crap.

Limbaugh became addicted to a drug he was being prescribed by a doctor for chronic pain. As his addiction grew, he needed more of the medicine to deal with the pain...he did not take it for a buzz...he took it to get through with his day to day life.

Farley, Belushi, the Ozbourne kids and father....all took drugs to get high, for the buzz...and ended up addicted afterwards.

HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Yet here we see the liberals, the kind, compassionate, understanding party...treating this man as if he had been trading blow jobs for smack on the street corner.
Actually, thats not true... most liberals treat people trading blow jobs for smack BETTER than they treated/are treating this man who became addicted to pain medication because he was in constant pain.

And why? Because several years ago he took a hard line on drug users? Nevermind that he had altered his opinion since then, nevermind that the drug users he was discussing were not those who had become addicted while taking the medically prescribed doseage of pain meds and found they needed increasing amounts for the same amount of pain relief later on, nevermind that his civil rights have been thrown out the window during this case.

How many rockers, movie stars, etc. have come out and said drugs are bad, only to be discovered later as having massive drug problems? Aerosmith did one or two anti-drug ads before they all cleaned up. There was a famous model awhile back who did a no-drugs, self-esteem public service message only to put out an article in a woman's magazine about how she did drugs to keep her weight down and was so addicted to them that she couldn't get off of them even when the doctors said she might have a heartattack at 26 if she didn't. I must have missed the SNL where they mocked these people by showing them puking in a toilet surrounded by pills, huh? Ozzy and his kids stated numerous times that drugs were bad on the first few seasons of their reality show...strangely enough, SNL wasn't doing nasty little skits about them when Jack and Kelly Ozbourne ended up in drug rehab for the same drug Limbaugh was using (except they were using it recreationally, and he was using it to cope with pain.)

Sorry, Mariner...but I don't even LIKE Rush Limbaugh, and the behavior of many on the left has disgusted me throughout the whole scandal. For a party of forgiveness, caring, understanding, and moral relativity...they were practically drooling, chomping at the bit, and giggling maniacally at this man's pain...and apparently, as SNL demonstrated, they aren't done yet.

Bonnie said:
It is.... however, Archie makes some good points but it's always couched in the context of bigotry and ignorance taking away any validity of them.

LOL. And Meathead plays the stereotypical liberal role to a tee! He was such a little suck. :D

Forum List

Back