Looking Ahead

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
This year has certainly been a better year for the economy than last year and economists are looking for more gains next year. If the downtrend in unemployment continues through 2012, it will certainly help the Democrats.

The long-suffering job market is ending the year better off than it began. The number of people applying for unemployment benefits each week has dropped by 10 percent since January. The unemployment rate, 8.6 percent in November, is at its lowest level in nearly three years.

Factory output is rising, business owners say they’re more optimistic about hiring and consumer confidence has jumped to its highest level since April. Even the beleaguered housing market is looking slightly better.

Modest economic growth, fewer layoffs points to steady hiring gains next year - The Washington Post

Yes, this is encouraging news. I hope the trend continues. However, this is probably not good news for Obama haters.

IF unemployment goes down, Obama's chances of winning the election are pretty good.

Otherwise?

I doubt he has much chance.

My sales were down by 6% in 2011 overall. However, my 4th qtr year on year numbers are up by 8%.

I am optimistic regarding the prospects for my business in 2012. I would very much appreciate it if you nutters could begin forcing your GOP legislators to be honest brokers in Washington. We need those idiots to work together to keep the recovery going. We need them to stop trying to frighten their lemmings and, instead, find ways to promote consumer confidence.

My sales were down by 6% in 2011 overall. However, my 4th qtr year on year numbers are up by 8%.

I am optimistic regarding the prospects for my business in 2012. I would very much appreciate it if you nutters could begin forcing your GOP legislators to be honest brokers in Washington. We need those idiots to work together to keep the recovery going. We need them to stop trying to frighten their lemmings and, instead, find ways to promote consumer confidence.

Prostitution is a crime...well, not in DC...but everywhere else.

This year has certainly been a better year for the economy than last year and economists are looking for more gains next year. If the downtrend in unemployment continues through 2012, it will certainly help the Democrats.

The long-suffering job market is ending the year better off than it began. The number of people applying for unemployment benefits each week has dropped by 10 percent since January. The unemployment rate, 8.6 percent in November, is at its lowest level in nearly three years.

Factory output is rising, business owners say they’re more optimistic about hiring and consumer confidence has jumped to its highest level since April. Even the beleaguered housing market is looking slightly better.

Modest economic growth, fewer layoffs points to steady hiring gains next year - The Washington Post

Lets hope it continues.

As for the politics, it doesn't need to be good news v. bad news. But I would be shocked if Obama were to put his arm around John Boehner and make a joint statement about bipartisanship.

The older I get, the more I admire the aspect of the English system where the "ruling party" basically is able to run the country until they are voted out. This gridlock that is now built in to the system will eventually cripple the nation if it hasn't already. The gridlock isn't self-imposed by the Constitution; it is the product of party politics and nothing else.

Theres plenty of hypocrisy to go around as far as "honest brokers" are concerned on both sides of the aisle. But in terms of the macro debate White House v. Congress...you're spot on.

Theres plenty of hypocrisy to go around as far as "honest brokers" are concerned on both sides of the aisle. But in terms of the macro debate White House v. Congress...you're spot on.

I expect LOYAL dissent and opposition from the party that does not occupy the WH. Having an impact on Presidential politics should not be a stated goal of the opposition. That is what i refer to when I say call for honest brokers.

"I expect LOYAL dissent and opposition from the party that does not occupy the WH. Having an impact on Presidential politics should not be a stated goal of the opposition. That is what i refer to when I say call for honest brokers."

And some times Santa leaves a piece of coal in the stocking...

If you guys think Obama is going to get re-elected you're only fooling yourselves. He's history... very bad history.

I think you are being optomistic.

The drop from 9.0 to 8.6% was because of seasonal hiring and because a lot of people just gave up on looking.

Factory output is rising because factories have found ways to be more productive with the people they have.

And there are a shitload of places where the economy could still go south next year. The EuroZone could collapse, or the Iranians could block the straights of Hormuz.

And frankly, if it's a Romney vs. Obama contest, I don't have a dog in that fight, so I don't care.

I expect LOYAL dissent and opposition from the party that does not occupy the WH. Having an impact on Presidential politics should not be a stated goal of the opposition. That is what i refer to when I say call for honest brokers.

I think that is wise.

However, I expect Congress to introduce legislation that is--and I know this is Pollyanna--good for the country in their view, that it be voted on by both houses and, if passed; get sent to the President for his or her consideration. Then it is signed into law or vetoed. At which it either becomes law or sent back to Congress for a potential override.

The ability of one party in either house to block legislation from even being considered is , in my veiw, against the American ideal. Harry Reid should be ashamed of himself....just have the vote. You'll win or you'll lose but...get this....YOU WOULD HAVE DONE YOUR JOB...THE JOB THE PEOPLE OF NEVADA SENT YOU TO WASHINGTON TO DO.

Anyone who embraces the TEA Party ideals cannot possibly think that the woman they sent up to run against Reid in 2010 served the Country well given the absolutely shitty shenanigans this guy has pulled in the last 2 years.

I think you are being optomistic.

The drop from 9.0 to 8.6% was because of seasonal hiring and because a lot of people just gave up on looking.

Factory output is rising because factories have found ways to be more productive with the people they have.

And there are a shitload of places where the economy could still go south next year. The EuroZone could collapse, or the Iranians could block the straights of Hormuz.

And frankly, if it's a Romney vs. Obama contest, I don't have a dog in that fight, so I don't care.
A year ago unemployment was 9.8%. If 2012 is no better than 2011, it will be 7.5% by the end of 2012. Most economist see a slightly better year in 2012 so an unemployment near 7% seems likely.

Unemployment was 7.6% when Obama took office. If it falls below 7.5%, unemployment which has been a problem for Obama will become an asset in his campaign.

A year ago unemployment was 9.8%. If 2012 is no better than 2011, it will be 7.5% by the end of 2012. Most economist see a slightly better year in 2012 so an unemployment near 7% seems likely.

Unemployment was 7.6% when Obama took office. If it falls below 7.5%, unemployment which has been a problem for Obama will become an asset in his campaign.

So that's going to be his big accomplishment? Unemployment was messed up throughout my whole term, but it's only as messed up now as it was when I started?

Seriously, he's going to go with that?

I think that is wise.

However, I expect Congress to introduce legislation that is--and I know this is Pollyanna--good for the country in their view, that it be voted on by both houses and, if passed; get sent to the President for his or her consideration. Then it is signed into law or vetoed. At which it either becomes law or sent back to Congress for a potential override.

The ability of one party in either house to block legislation from even being considered is , in my veiw, against the American ideal. Harry Reid should be ashamed of himself....just have the vote. You'll win or you'll lose but...get this....YOU WOULD HAVE DONE YOUR JOB...THE JOB THE PEOPLE OF NEVADA SENT YOU TO WASHINGTON TO DO.

Anyone who embraces the TEA Party ideals cannot possibly think that the woman they sent up to run against Reid in 2010 served the Country well given the absolutely shitty shenanigans this guy has pulled in the last 2 years.
It's Pollyanna. Traditionally less gets done by Congress during an election year when power is shared between the two parties. I expect in 2012 even less will get done, just another fight over the president's budget and the raising the debt ceiling. Anything House Republicans can do to slow the economy down will help elected a Republican president and I expect they will continue those efforts through 2012.

Forum List

Back