Look Who Came to Visit Me

Thats awesome.... I had a huge hawk come visit me over the weekend and my 9 yr old was blown away at how big that bird was!

Here's where he turned and looked directly at me. I was kinda hanging out the front door. Right in front of him is our pecan tree aka his dining room.

img0184dv-1.jpg

nice? cooper's hawk?

I'm not sure about that either. I posted him on facebook and some say he is a red tailed hawk. I just know he's beautiful and he landed right on my fence and sat there posing for pictures.

A couple of days ago I was hunting coyotes when a large red-tail lit in a tree about 100 yards away. I quickly pulled out a crow call and had a LONG, fun "conversation" with the hawk, who sat there for about 30 minutes calling for his buddies, but no one ever came. Eventually he got bored and flew off.

LOVE watching them, the eagles, and the occasional falcon we get here.

nice? cooper's hawk?

I'm not sure about that either. I posted him on facebook and some say he is a red tailed hawk. I just know he's beautiful and he landed right on my fence and sat there posing for pictures.

Doesn't really look like a red-tail to me. If it is, it has to be a very young one, but the head isn't right for a red tail.

Last edited:
Yesterday I drove back from PA to Maine and thus I drove across the Delaware and Hudson and CT river Valleys.

I saw so damned many hawks yesterday. Must have ten or so. Redtails, I think.

And they were huge, too.

Seriously, one of them looked as big as an eagle.

Magnificent birds, those.

They make me glad not to be a small mammal.

Last edited:
He's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the pix!

nice? cooper's hawk?

That's what I was thinking, red eyes would have been one indication of an adult Cooper's Hawk. Time of the year, age, sex and location can make a lot of hawks look similar but the red eyes are pretty distinguishable as a Cooper's. I used to work with a wild bird rehabilitation group 25 years ago in Louisiana, not as sharp at identifying as I used to be. Doesn't look like a red tail though. The shape of the head and darkness on top in the first shot made me think Cooper's also.

Last edited:
I remember standing in line at Petsmart in Colorado behind a woman with a little Yap dog, Chihuahua I believe. I asked her if she let that thing outside by itself. She said yes and why. I told her that any decent sized female Red Tail, a Great Horned Owl or worse, a Golden Eagle wouldn't think twice about snatching it in front of her. The look of shock and realization on her face was obvious but that was just a few predators that a little dog like that could fall prey to.

Forum List

Back