Longshot...anyone use incremental copy software?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I have used GRSync for years on the Linux side to incremental backup, free and works flawless.
I need to do this on the Windows side but GRSync for Windows has more problems than it is worth.

I have about 600GB of total data to copy, and the files are changed often...so the backup must be incremental as to not take 6 years every time it runs.
I do not want the software to create a proprietary image file, I want the real files/folders copied.

Long shot someone here does this...who knows.

I have used GRSync for years on the Linux side to incremental backup, free and works flawless.
I need to do this on the Windows side but GRSync for Windows has more problems than it is worth.

I have about 600GB of total data to copy, and the files are changed often...so the backup must be incremental as to not take 6 years every time it runs.
I do not want the software to create a proprietary image file, I want the real files/folders copied.

Long shot someone here does this...who knows.
:dunno: Sorry.

I may have it figured out, been toying around with the many GRsync options..and believe I have it. A bit slow though.
That's the difference between the Linux version and the Windows version...you have a question on the Linux app and there are 17,000 people ready with an answer...Windows...not so much.

I may have it figured out, been toying around with the many GRsync options..and believe I have it. A bit slow though.
That's the difference between the Linux version and the Windows version...you have a question on the Linux app and there are 17,000 people ready with an answer...Windows...not so much.
Well you do have the Windows virtual online support....... which never has your problem listed...... so is of no help at all........
Not to mention the email tech help which directs the person to the online virtual assistant...... then it takes a day and a half to locate the phone number for live tech support only after sacrificing an unblemished lamb at the altar of Bill Gates and when you get a live person they tell you it's not a Microsoft problem then refer you to a vendor who wants to charge hundreds of dollars to tell you they can't fix it.

Never mind..........

I ended up giving up...my fix was to change hot folders from some application servers away from an external drive...then took that drive and put it on a Linux server...and of course all of the backups work just fine using the same application. And much faster.
Linux is 100 times more platform friendly than Windows. These files are both Mac and PC stored on a Linux file server. Which drives windows insane,

I ended up giving up...my fix was to change hot folders from some application servers away from an external drive...then took that drive and put it on a Linux server...and of course all of the backups work just fine using the same application. And much faster.
Linux is 100 times more platform friendly than Windows. These files are both Mac and PC stored on a Linux file server. Which drives windows insane,
79f.jpg

I am a storage engineer and use NetBackup, CommVault, and Avamar backup solutions. These are all Enterprise level though and very expensive. For my own PC, I just have an external hard drive and take weekly backups. Have you looked at the built in windows backup utilities? For something as small as 600GB, you could also look at cloud backup solutions like Carbonite or Azure.

I am a storage engineer and use NetBackup, CommVault, and Avamar backup solutions. These are all Enterprise level though and very expensive. For my own PC, I just have an external hard drive and take weekly backups. Have you looked at the built in windows backup utilities? For something as small as 600GB, you could also look at cloud backup solutions like Carbonite or Azure.

The key here really is to be able to access previous versions between backups. So for instance someone is using a file, screws up and saves over something else etc. They can simply go to the backup and retrieve the "old" (never older than 3 days) version and start over.
So the purpose is both for disaster backup, and retrieving previous version.
But, I got it solved like I say.....but thank you for your response. :)

The key here really is to be able to access previous versions between backups. So for instance someone is using a file, screws up and saves over something else etc. They can simply go to the backup and retrieve the "old" (never older than 3 days) version and start over.
It's amazing how backups are just an afterthought to most folks. I have mine set up to do a monthly full backups on the first weekend of the month, differential incremental backups each weekday, and cumulative incremental backups every subsequent weekend. That's pretty good coverage - only thing I miss are files that are created and deleted between backups.

It's amazing how backups are just an afterthought to most folks. I have mine set up to do a monthly full backups on the first weekend of the month, differential incremental backups each weekday, and cumulative incremental backups every subsequent weekend. That's pretty good coverage - only thing I miss are files that are created and deleted between backups.
I have a great "back up" system, I reinstall my OS from scratch at least once a year backing up to the time I first installed it, whatever was on my computer at the time I reinstall is gone proving it really wasn't that important to me..........

I have a great "back up" system, I reinstall my OS from scratch at least once a year backing up to the time I first installed it, whatever was on my computer at the time I reinstall is gone proving it really wasn't that important to me..........
I was like that until I lost some personal and important data. Since then, whenever I build a system, I have a separate data disk and regular backups. If windoze crashes, as it is prone to do, my data is safe.

I was like that until I lost some personal and important data. Since then, whenever I build a system, I have a separate data disk and regular backups. If windoze crashes, as it is prone to do, my data is safe.
I don't keep personal and important data on my computer(s).

Forum List

Back