Longshoremen's union threatens more thuggery

I believe Truman tried that with U.S. Steel. The Supreme Court shot him down.

Truman did not have the Patriot Act to back him up.

A strike at US Steel also did not threaten to essentially SHUT DOWN the eastern seaboard and Gulf coast! We're talking about MORE THAN HALF THE PORTS in the country here! Now that I think about it, won't it also shut down many river ports?

Yep, I do believe you have that right.

Gee, that might cost a lot of union and nonunion workers quite a bit. How is this helping the American people? That is what union leaders keep telling us they accomplish.

Gee, that might cost a lot of union and nonunion workers quite a bit. How is this helping the American people? That is what union leaders keep telling us they accomplish.

The only help is that the union thugs get to stand on ceremony and they "get their respect".

The International Longshoreman's Association(ILA) which is the union that represents 14,000 port workers on the East Coast is threatening a port shut down.
The ILA has perhaps the most expensive and inefficient work rules of any trade union in the US. The union was offered a new deal with increased productivity rules and other concessions to lower the cost of distribution. The union is going to strike which in the long run will result in it's demise.
» Malkin: What the Looming Port Strike Is Really About » Commentary -- GOPUSA
We cannot have economic growth in this country until these types of inefficient and archaic issues are eliminated.

Where's the thuggery?

Hyperbole much?

Shhhh... whenever working people don't kiss the employers boots, it's thuggery to Spoonhead.

He probably has his three minimum wage employees do that every day when they aren't making fun of him behind his back.

I had a short stint as a Teamster for a summer job during college. Any illusions I may have had regarding how unions benefit workers was quickly destroyed. The Teamsters is run for the benefit of the Teamsters' leadership and their cronies.

Period.

End of story.

Again, I've seen the other side of it....

I've seen employees fired because they got sick or pregnant. (The former happened to me.)

I've seen an employee fired because his ex-girlfriend traded up to a manager (who was married).

I've seen an employee fired because she brought her girlfriend to the Holiday Party, and her girlfriend wore a suit, just so no one would miss the point...

In short, I've seen so much bad behavior on the part of employers, I think every shop should be REQUIRED to have a union.

oh, come on. not every shop. i want my kids to go down in the mines when they are 11 y.o. and get paid by the ton and hope they have saved enough bucks to pay for the doc when they are coughing their lungs out at 40. i just hope he doesn't get crushed by his wife jumping out of the 10th story window of a garment factory to avoid being burned to death because the fire exits were locked.

Sorry I can't rep you for pointing out to people like Spoonie why we have unions in the first place.

The International Longshoreman's Association(ILA) which is the union that represents 14,000 port workers on the East Coast is threatening a port shut down.
The ILA has perhaps the most expensive and inefficient work rules of any trade union in the US. The union was offered a new deal with increased productivity rules and other concessions to lower the cost of distribution. The union is going to strike which in the long run will result in it's demise.
» Malkin: What the Looming Port Strike Is Really About » Commentary -- GOPUSA
We cannot have economic growth in this country until these types of inefficient and archaic issues are eliminated.

Where's the thuggery?

Hyperbole much?

Shhhh... whenever working people don't kiss the employers boots, it's thuggery to Spoonhead.

He probably has his three minimum wage employees do that every day when they aren't making fun of him behind his back.

Ok..I will play along...
To respond to your insipid speculations....They can snicker all they want. I'm the one with the money and I OWN the jobs.
I am not in business to be "liked"...I am in business to turn a profit which allows me to put a roof over my head, etc. If the plebes don't like the way I do business, the door swings in the other direction.

I had a short stint as a Teamster for a summer job during college. Any illusions I may have had regarding how unions benefit workers was quickly destroyed. The Teamsters is run for the benefit of the Teamsters' leadership and their cronies.

Period.

End of story.

I've seen employees fired because they got sick or pregnant. (The former happened to me.)

I've seen an employee fired because his ex-girlfriend traded up to a manager (who was married).

I've seen an employee fired because she brought her girlfriend to the Holiday Party, and her girlfriend wore a suit, just so no one would miss the point...

In short, I've seen so much bad behavior on the part of employers, I think every shop should be REQUIRED to have a union.

oh, come on. not every shop. i want my kids to go down in the mines when they are 11 y.o. and get paid by the ton and hope they have saved enough bucks to pay for the doc when they are coughing their lungs out at 40. i just hope he doesn't get crushed by his wife jumping out of the 10th story window of a garment factory to avoid being burned to death because the fire exits were locked.

Yes. Because the US workforce is just 7% union, all of what you described is happening as we speak.

[

Ok..I will play along...
To respond to your insipid speculations....They can snicker all they want. I'm the one with the money and I OWN the jobs.
I am not in business to be "liked"...I am in business to turn a profit which allows me to put a roof over my head, etc. If the plebes don't like the way I do business, the door swings in the other direction.

Or they can vote for people who will make you play fair...

I don't think it's possible for you to be liked. YOu really do seem like kind of a douchebag who lives in mortal fear of a fair fight.

Sorry I can't rep you for pointing out to people like Spoonie why we have unions in the first place.
Newsflash....We DON'T have unions anymore. At least 93% of us don't.
Unions have lost their grip. They are DONE.

[

Ok..I will play along...

I don't think it's possible for you to be liked. YOu really do seem like kind of a douchebag who lives in mortal fear of a fair fight.

Vote? What the fuck does that have to do anything?
Fair? What's fair? Nothing. Life is not fair. No one is entitled to equality of outcome.
We are all responsible to ourselves FIRST.
I have no great need to be liked. So what.
Oh, there are no rules in a street fight. Blink and you're going down. Why should I give someone who is trying to hurt me a fair chance. Nope...Golden Rule of combat...Do unto others before they get a chance to do unto you.
If that blows your perception of what's fair out of the lagoon, so be it. My money, my house, my rules. Don't like it? There's the fuckin door.

Fair? What's fair? Nothing. Life is not fair. No one is entitled to equality of outcome.
Oh, there are no rules in a street fight. Blink and you're going down. Why should I give someone who is trying to hurt me a fair chance. Nope...Golden Rule of combat...Do unto others before they get a chance to do unto you.
If that blows your perception of what's fair out of the lagoon, so be it. My money, my house, my rules. Don't like it? There's the fuckin door.

That you see your employees like this is kind of telling... Man, you really are an evil douchebag, aren't you?

Yes. Because the US workforce is just 7% union, all of what you described is happening as we speak.

That is still 7% too much

Why? Because you don't like the thought they can negotiate for better wages and working conditions? Seriously?

That you see your employees like this is kind of telling... Man, you really are an evil douchebag, aren't you?

To the core, daddy! To the core!
Hey, do you hear that clicking noise?

Why? Because you don't like the thought they can negotiate for better wages and working conditions? Seriously?

Negotiate and union do not and never have belonged in the same sentence.
Just another reason why unions are rapidly on their way to joining the dinosaurs.

[

Ok..I will play along...

I don't care who I work for, if a better opportunity comes along, I'm out the door, if the company I currently for changes direction, I'm out the door.

That is the fact of life, I know to look out for myself and the company has the same right. I'm not going to bitch to some union asshole rep to keep me on where I'm not wanted or needed.

or they can vote for people who will make you play fair...

I don't think it's possible for you to be liked. You really do seem like kind of a douchebag who lives in mortal fear of a fair fight.

vote? What the fuck does that have to do anything?
We are all responsible to ourselves first.
Oh, there are no rules in a street fight. Blink and you're going down. Why should i give someone who is trying to hurt me a fair chance. Nope...golden rule of combat...do unto others before they get a chance to do unto you.

i don't care who i work for, if a better opportunity comes along, i'm out the door, if the company i currently for changes direction, i'm out the door.

That is the fact of life, i know to look out for myself and the company has the same right. I'm not going to bitch to some union asshole rep to keep me on where i'm not wanted or needed.
bingo!

Negotiate and union do not and never have belonged in the same sentence.
Just another reason why unions are rapidly on their way to joining the dinosaurs.

Actually, Unions are the only way to have meaningful negotiations. Which is why they are needed.

I don't care who I work for, if a better opportunity comes along, I'm out the door, if the company I currently for changes direction, I'm out the door.

That is the fact of life, I know to look out for myself and the company has the same right. I'm not going to bitch to some union asshole rep to keep me on where I'm not wanted or needed.

Not everyone has that option.

Also, as a practical matter, jumping to another company is often jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

This notion that you are getting over on employers by jumping jobs is kind of silly. Again, there is no substitute for strong worker's rights.

That's the truth! I have never figured out why someone would either stay where they are obviously not wanted, or stay on a job that they felt the need to constantly complain about. If you are that miserable, move on! Some people seem to think that using union thugs to browbeat management will somehow improve their lot.

Forum List

Back