Longshoremen's union threatens more thuggery

Just fire them and hire the ones who can actually do the job back at 80% of their prior wage.

Failure to adapt means the end of unions in the usual sense spoon. Half the states down, half to go.

Nah, people are getting wise to you...

Half these teabagging idiots who to put in during 2010 will be going right back out in 2014. Snyder, Kascich, Scott, Walker, they all trail potential democratic opponents....

Yes, that is why not single right to work bill has failed. :lol:

We are headed for a double dip recession, the rest will fall into line very quickly.

If we do, it will be because the GOP let us go off the Fiscal Cliff. Tarring and feathering will follow.

[

Oh would you please just stop it!
We are SICK of these dopey anecdotes. Nobody believes you.
Nobody cares. And no one in their right mind would agree that 100% union would be a good thing.
Oh, do you REALLY believe that a labor collective would have stopped these alleged terminations? C'mon. Grow up.
At any time, a business can for cause discharge a worker as long as the transgressions that resulted in discharge are documented in a report. Union or no union...

You see Joe, a union is really powerless if an employer really wants somebody to leave their company

And i have no problem with firing an employee who commits real transgressions.

None of those cases I cited involved real transgressions. The gay chick had been at that company for 14 years and had recently been promoted and had gotten an excellent employee review at the end of the year.

Sorry, I think 100% unionization would be a wonderful thing. Employers who aren't douchebags wouldn't have a problem.

[

What the hell are you talking about?
State legislatures are taking on unions and organized labor in general because taxpayers have demanded they rein in public worker unions and private business leaders have told these forced union states that they stand little chance of attracting new business.
Legislators MUST find ways to encourage the private sector to locate in their respective states because these politicians MUST help create a job friendly environment.
This is precisely why Michigan went to Right to Work. Same for Ohio and Indiana. Along with 21 other states.

The teabaggers are making scapegoats of public employees, but people are wising up that these are their neighbors who are getting screwed, not some faceless bureaucrat.

Going to a race to the bottom on wages, safety and workers rights is not going to bring jobs back to this country..

because, honestly, there will always be a third world shithole that will have people work for less.

Half these teabagging idiots who to put in during 2010 will be going right back out in 2014. Snyder, Kascich, Scott, Walker, they all trail potential democratic opponents....

We are headed for a double dip recession, the rest will fall into line very quickly.

If we do, it will be because the GOP let us go off the Fiscal Cliff. Tarring and feathering will follow.

The fiscal cliff was created by Democrats and Republicans. Boehner's plan was actually pretty close to what Obama wanted. It protected $250,000 to 999,999 folks, but that was probably your more successful small business owners. The JOB creators. It was stupid of Obama not to rally some of the Dems to support it and we would be done before Christmas.

The teabaggers are making scapegoats of public employees, but people are wising up that these are their neighbors who are getting screwed, not some faceless bureaucrat.

Going to a race to the bottom on wages, safety and workers rights is not going to bring jobs back to this country..

because, honestly, there will always be a third world shithole that will have people work for less.

The public isn't happy about paying taxes to support their neighbor's job that pays more than theirs for the same type of work. Then there's teh benefit package that the faceless neighbor gets with the state that is better too. Small concessions by the unions when jobs started going overseas would have minimized the exodus. Didn't happen.

[

The fiscal cliff was created by Democrats and Republicans. Boehner's plan was actually pretty close to what Obama wanted. It protected $250,000 to 999,999 folks, but that was probably your more successful small business owners. The JOB creators. It was stupid of Obama not to rally some of the Dems to support it and we would be done before Christmas.

The problem is, Boenher couldn't get his own guys to vote for his plan. So Boehner's plan is irrelenvent.

If you are making $250,000, you can afford to put aside another 4% for taxes. Sorry, you just can.

The problem is, Boenher couldn't get his own guys to vote for his plan. So Boehner's plan is irrelenvent.

If you are making $250,000, you can afford to put aside another 4% for taxes. Sorry, you just can.

It isn't illegal to cross the aisle Joe. I know some Democrats would have to agree to spending cut in order to do that, but the fact remains. Democrats could help pass the bill.

How do you know the financial status of a $250,000 earner? $10,000 might be the difference between adding a new job or not. Maybe it was part of a severance package from another job and the new one doesn't pay as well.

It isn't illegal to cross the aisle Joe. I know some Democrats would have to agree to spending cut in order to do that, but the fact remains. Democrats could help pass the bill.

How do you know the financial status of a $250,000 earner? $10,000 might be the difference between adding a new job or not. Maybe it was part of a severance package from another job and the new one doesn't pay as well.

Why should they?

The taxes are going up on the rich regardless. Obama's been generous to raise it to 400K, which I think is excessive, given most working class folks are going to see a tax increase when the SS Holiday expires.

If your business is so week 10K makes the difference between hiring or not, you probably shouldn't be in business.

Time for the nuclear option. If the union does close the ports, they should be rounded up and arrested as terrorists. Under the Patriot Act, one definition of terrorism is an organized attempt to disrupt the economy. This would qualify.

I believe Truman tried that with U.S. Steel. The Supreme Court shot him down.

Truman did not have the Patriot Act to back him up.

The International Longshoreman's Association(ILA) which is the union that represents 14,000 port workers on the East Coast is threatening a port shut down.
The ILA has perhaps the most expensive and inefficient work rules of any trade union in the US. The union was offered a new deal with increased productivity rules and other concessions to lower the cost of distribution. The union is going to strike which in the long run will result in it's demise.
» Malkin: What the Looming Port Strike Is Really About » Commentary -- GOPUSA
We cannot have economic growth in this country until these types of inefficient and archaic issues are eliminated.

Where's the thuggery?

Hyperbole much?

That's the narrative the MSM is going with.
The fact is Obama and the democrats WANT ALL taxes to rise.
Obama is responsible.
Oh, the talking points of the left will be hot and heavy. Obama will get the blame for nothing. Even though he allowed this to happen.
It's all symbolism. Obama wants these taxes to go up for show because as the math works out, it's only enough to run the govt for two business weeks. Big fucking deal.
I have an idea. If you think government is in need of more money, feel free to write a check.

What the fuck does that have to do with the ILA and their criminal intent?

[

Oh would you please just stop it!
We are SICK of these dopey anecdotes. Nobody believes you.
Nobody cares. And no one in their right mind would agree that 100% union would be a good thing.
Oh, do you REALLY believe that a labor collective would have stopped these alleged terminations? C'mon. Grow up.
At any time, a business can for cause discharge a worker as long as the transgressions that resulted in discharge are documented in a report. Union or no union...

You see Joe, a union is really powerless if an employer really wants somebody to leave their company

And i have no problem with firing an employee who commits real transgressions.

None of those cases I cited involved real transgressions. The gay chick had been at that company for 14 years and had recently been promoted and had gotten an excellent employee review at the end of the year.

Sorry, I think 100% unionization would be a wonderful thing. Employers who aren't douchebags wouldn't have a problem.
Unions are unrealistic in their demands. That is their Waterloo.
The first issue is that a labor collective's leaders believe they are in a position to demand ANYTHING.
The other fact is that unions cost too much. Unions drive up the cost of labor to unrealistic and unsustainable levels.

[

What the hell are you talking about?
State legislatures are taking on unions and organized labor in general because taxpayers have demanded they rein in public worker unions and private business leaders have told these forced union states that they stand little chance of attracting new business.
Legislators MUST find ways to encourage the private sector to locate in their respective states because these politicians MUST help create a job friendly environment.
This is precisely why Michigan went to Right to Work. Same for Ohio and Indiana. Along with 21 other states.

Wrong! Take a look at property taxes in these states. THAT is why public worker unions are being reined in.
The taxpayers have HAD IT!
For too long, public worker union bosses have had their way with union friendly politicians.
It's nothing more than a money laundering scheme.
The unions collect dues. Part of the money goes into the coffers for democrat politician's reelection campaigns. Meanwhile these same politicians make laws favorable to unions.
Here are the issues.
1. Public workers get virtually FREE medical care for life. And in some instances their spouses and dependent children as well. The taxpayers are forced to fund this.
2 public workers contribute VERY LITTLE toward their pensions. Pensions which they should not have in the first place. The taxpayers are forced to fund this as well.
3 Public workers get automatic COLA increases. The taxpayers do not.
4 Public workers are permitted to "bank" sick time and vacation time and upon retirement or their termination( HA! good luck with THAT) ....That practice is ABSURD.
5. Public workers get WAY too many holidays and other paid time off.
All of these things are no longer sustainable nor is the public willing to accept them any further.
No one is asking public workers to be poor. The demand from the taxpaying public is there needs to be a balance between the needs of public workers and the people who pay the bills.
Newsflash...There is NO MORE MONEY...It is time for public workers to make BIG sacrifices. They have had it their way and too easy for too long.

Why should they?

The taxes are going up on the rich regardless. Obama's been generous to raise it to 400K, which I think is excessive, given most working class folks are going to see a tax increase when the SS Holiday expires.

If your business is so week 10K makes the difference between hiring or not, you probably shouldn't be in business.

Bullshit. You have NO RIGHT even thinking about what it takes to run a business. All you think is every business owner is out to screw as many people as possible. You know SHIT.
You are one of these schmucks that would DIE if you didn't have a "job"....You are too weak to even consider taking a risk to make your own mark.
All you know is "I work here. You OWE ME."

Unions don't prevent that bub. We already have laws against discrimination based on gender, race, etc.

Department of Labor and OSHA have replaced the Union and they don't charge dues.

All the unions do is funnel money to politicians in exchange for mutual protection and enrichment.

An if you don't see this, you are either blind or part of the problem.

The International Longshoreman's Association(ILA) which is the union that represents 14,000 port workers on the East Coast is threatening a port shut down.
The ILA has perhaps the most expensive and inefficient work rules of any trade union in the US. The union was offered a new deal with increased productivity rules and other concessions to lower the cost of distribution. The union is going to strike which in the long run will result in it's demise.
» Malkin: What the Looming Port Strike Is Really About » Commentary -- GOPUSA
We cannot have economic growth in this country until these types of inefficient and archaic issues are eliminated.

Where's the thuggery?

Hyperbole much?

Thuggery. Use of force.
When a collective of people uses force to shut down an entity such as the Ports, and will use violence to ensure the shut down is enforced, that is thuggery.
All collective organizations use thuggery to get what they want.

I had a short stint as a Teamster for a summer job during college. Any illusions I may have had regarding how unions benefit workers was quickly destroyed. The Teamsters is run for the benefit of the Teamsters' leadership and their cronies.

Period.

End of story.

Again, I've seen the other side of it....

I've seen employees fired because they got sick or pregnant. (The former happened to me.)

I've seen an employee fired because his ex-girlfriend traded up to a manager (who was married).

I've seen an employee fired because she brought her girlfriend to the Holiday Party, and her girlfriend wore a suit, just so no one would miss the point...

In short, I've seen so much bad behavior on the part of employers, I think every shop should be REQUIRED to have a union.

oh, come on. not every shop. i want my kids to go down in the mines when they are 11 y.o. and get paid by the ton and hope they have saved enough bucks to pay for the doc when they are coughing their lungs out at 40. i just hope he doesn't get crushed by his wife jumping out of the 10th story window of a garment factory to avoid being burned to death because the fire exits were locked.

Time for the nuclear option. If the union does close the ports, they should be rounded up and arrested as terrorists. Under the Patriot Act, one definition of terrorism is an organized attempt to disrupt the economy. This would qualify.

I believe Truman tried that with U.S. Steel. The Supreme Court shot him down.

Truman did not have the Patriot Act to back him up.

A strike at US Steel also did not threaten to essentially SHUT DOWN the eastern seaboard and Gulf coast! We're talking about MORE THAN HALF THE PORTS in the country here! Now that I think about it, won't it also shut down many river ports?

Forum List

Back