Longitudinal Study in the UK Shows Some Fascinating Stuff

Oct 8, 2009
So, I was reading this article Sleeplessness: A Hidden Impact of the Global Recession? and it shows some interesting snippets about sleep deprivation.

Now, I suffer from insomnia so I totally relate to the impact and know only too well how shit this condition can be. But there's some really interesting stuff linking socio-economic background and sleeplessness.

Apparently, the smarter you are, the better you sleep. That doesn't say much for me! :lol::lol: I sleep really badly and, theoretically, have a high IQ so I guess the researchers are glad I'm not part of their study. I'd screw up their results. :lol:

Also, I didn't know the link between sleep and health issues such as strokes and heart problems. :eek:

I so need to break this pattern of not sleeping. :(

Here's a little snippet from the article but it's an interesting read... and there are links to the actual study for those who want a more detailed look.

One of the many impacts of the recent global recession may be an increase in health related issues such as sleep deprivation. Charlotte Brontë put it thus, “A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow” and it appears that Charlotte was decades ahead of her time with this line. Recent research from the UK’s Understanding Society study analyzes sleep patterns of its 40,000 participants with some interesting results.

Can’t Sleep, Can’t Think
The impacts of broken sleep patterns, or sleep deprivation, are well known. A short period of sleeplessness can make an individual tired and, perhaps, short tempered. However, sustained periods of a lack of sleep can have worse consequences. It can affect an individual’s ability to think, it impairs judgment and can cause accidents.

A research result, reported in the Guardian, from an Annals of Neurology study at Université de Montréal suggests a link between a deprivation of sleep and issues such as sleepwalking. That study finds links between such issues as sleepwalking and those of accidents and aggressive behavior.

If you want to Sleep Better, Get a Job that Makes you Happy
‘Understanding Society’ finds that those least likely to suffer from deprivation of sleep are those who are either employed or self employed. An unsurprising outcome of the report is that those who are unemployed suffer the highest level of insomnia.

Managerial level participants report worse sleep patterns that those with fewer work related responsibilities. Importantly, job satisfaction and hours worked also plays a role in sleep. Those who sleep the best are those who are happiest in their work and those who work long hours reported the worst sleep.

• Banned
Dang!. I thought this was going to be a thread about Greenwich and the Prime Meridian.

You maybe need to google 'longitudinal study' and find out what the term means. Basically, it's a long term (in this case it has funding for 20 years) returning to the same individuals to track their life course. It includes cross sections of society so that social science researchers can predict how people will live from studying them as they go through life. This one, from what I understand, is working with a study in the US to coordinate research and compare findings.

I find this kind of stuff interesting.

Dang!. I thought this was going to be a thread about Greenwich and the Prime Meridian.

You maybe need to google 'longitudinal study' and find out what the term means. Basically, it's a long term (in this case it has funding for 20 years) returning to the same individuals to track their life course. It includes cross sections of society so that social science researchers can predict how people will live from studying them as they go through life. This one, from what I understand, is working with a study in the US to coordinate research and compare findings.

I find this kind of stuff interesting.

I have a sail boat and a helmsmans certification. Longitude only means one thing to me....which way to go to get out of the way of a storm...chuckle

Forum List

Back