Long Wave that Union Jack

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Comrade, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    And don't look back!

Eight Terror Suspects Seized Near London

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040330/ap_on_re_eu/britain_terror_arrests_4

Cheers you blokes! Jolly Good Show!!!

Not to use this board as a glorified press release, but damn if this couldn't very well have been:

"Massive truck bombing in London kills hundreds, national emergency declared"

I'm seeing a half-ton of ammonium nitrate in storage that would have been mixed with fuel just days prior to Thursday, 10 June 2004, now no longer able to punish the UK electorate. I'm seeing a silver lining among the storm clouds gathered over Spain. I'm sending out a "hell yah!" to our British chaps across the ocean today.

And if I have to post something for debate, which I should, it's that the people of the UK would not fold and withdraw from Iraq in the same manner as Spain, even if such an attack were to succeed. The mettle of Britannia and the will of the people all trace back to a bunch of tribes fighting for survival in a cold, hostile land. You peeps are BAD ASS! And smart as a whip!

Good f’cking job!

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Bravo, UK! :clap:

3. Atticus

Atticus Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Reading your email with interest. I find it almost impossible to understand the US shoot first ask questions later response to anything that bothers them.

I am UK citizen who grew up during a terrorist conflict in Northern Ireland. In this small country it is possible to see and understand the whole dreadful issue of terrorism in the round.

I watched for 18 years while my country tore itself to pieces with terrorist groups often funded by US organisations like NORAID.

There is a real misconception that this is like a conventional war. It is not. The evils of terrorism often are routed in extremely pressurised societies. Increasing the pressure simply increases the tendency to violent reaction.

One of the most galling aspects of UKs involvement in this US governments Iraq adventure is that our Tony Blair our Prime Minister recognised that the way to reach a solution to the 30 year terrorists problems in Northern Ireland was through dialogue and by trying to reach cross party agreement.

Yet here the UK is riding out with The Dubya posse to extinguish the fires of middle eastern terrorism with cans of gasoline.

Your own lovely Dick Cheney has said that this is a conflict that could take 50 years or more. Think. This is not just you. It is your children and your children's children.

The people of Spain have shown a willingness to consider all options. They have resisted a long term campaign of terror by ETA and will have drawn their own lessons from this.

Atticus

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    That is correct. So that our grandchildren and their children don't have to live in a society where terrorists are negotiated with and allowed to roam free.

5. Atticus

Atticus Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

You just dont get it do you.

What Northern Ireland shows us is that you can arrest the terrorists, you can kill them, but that increases the problem.

How many of the terrorists held in Guantanamo bay have sons, fathers, brothers, cousins who will simply see that you are holding their family and want revenge against USA, UK etc.

I watched it happen in my country.

Terrorism is a grey area.

There are no winners, and no losers. When conditions arrise in a community that spawn terrorism there is a choice. You can either engage with the community and find out about the issues then try and resolve them or you can go in guns blazing and make the whole thing worse.

Bear in mind in, it is our soldiers on their streets not the other way round. You might ask yourself how many Iraqi civilians have died? If this was your family how would you react?

Atticus

6. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    And Israel is proof you HAVE to have guns blazing. The war cannot be won because it is a religious war, not any conventional war. Until people understand that, they will have no grasp of the situation.

7. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    What do you suggest be done then? Should we just give up and allow them to have a free pass to excercise their terroristic ways?

8. Atticus

Atticus Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You need the best intelligence.

You need to stand with your friends (yes that includes France and Germany) because all eyes are needed.

But you need to find out what the root cause of the problem is or it expands infinitely.

Do not confuse terrorists with the communities from which they come. The citizens of these communities if they trust you are your best defence because believe it or not they are normal people who want normal lives and in normal circumstances will not tolerate terrorism in their midst.

Be determined be informed

Atticus

9. Atticus

Atticus Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, that Israeli approach really works.

Yes sir, see that success every week with more bodies on the TV screen.

Atticus

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I certainly see the success of Israel's 'get tough' policy :rolleyes: