Long after death, Confederate spy honored in Ark.

Do you want to be able to own slaves again Dissent? I bet it'd be mighty convenient for you. You could spend your time on so many other things!

Own them again? When did I own them to begin with? Damn that is something I must have missed...I don't believe in the ownership of other human beings just as I don't believe in a strong central government dictating the every move of the citizens like we have now...

Oh please explain I did go to history class and am fully aware of the events leading up to the civil war and what all these "states rights" arguments were over. I am aware that the victors write the history but two things are not in dispute, the war really began over slavery in bleeding Kansas and that the only real difference in the us constitution and the Confederate constitution slavery was formally and prominently enshrined in the confederate constitution as a god given right.

If that was the case you would know damn well it wasn't fought over slavery but over independence and the north trying to tax the south into submission and you also realize it states in the DOI that when a government becomes out of control its our right and duty to do away with it and start anew. Maybe you need to go back and read it.Or do you do like most folks and use it to fit your idea of things and how they should be but when it doesn't fit your idea its a useless piece of paper...by your brilliant logic our founding fathers were traitors and committed treason by declaring independence from England.

Oh please explain I did go to history class and am fully aware of the events leading up to the civil war and what all these "states rights" arguments were over. I am aware that the victors write the history but two things are not in dispute, the war really began over slavery in bleeding Kansas and that the only real difference in the us constitution and the Confederate constitution slavery was formally and prominently enshrined in the confederate constitution as a god given right.

"States rights" is what they say when they don't want to say "slavery".

Do you want to be able to own slaves again Dissent? I bet it'd be mighty convenient for you. You could spend your time on so many other things!

Own them again? When did I own them to begin with? Damn that is something I must have missed...I don't believe in the ownership of other human beings just as I don't believe in a strong central government dictating the every move of the citizens like we have now...

The ability to own slaves again, retard.

You may not believe it, but your beloved southern confederates did. And that's why they fought and fought so hard.

Even if they didn't own slaves or believe in slavery themselves, they were certainly cajoled or threatened by those who did, into fighting for the cause.

Last edited:

"States rights" is what they say when they don't want to say "slavery".

I don't believe in slavery I do believe in freedom and we don't have that.

The ability to own slaves again, retard.

You may not believe it, but your beloved southern confederates did. And that's why they fought and fought so hard.

Even if they didn't own slaves or believe in slavery themselves, they were certainly cajoled or threatened by those who did, into fighting for the cause.
Confederate History - Dispelling The Myths

MYTH - Only Southerners owned slaves.

FACT - Entirely untrue. Many Northern civilians owned slaves. Prior to, during and even after the War Of Northern Aggression.

Surprisingly, to many history impaired individuals, most Union Generals and staff had slaves to serve them! William T. Sherman had many slaves that served him until well after the war was over and did not free them until late in 1865.

U.S. Grant also had several slaves, who were only freed after the 13th amendment in December of 1865. When asked why he didn't free his slaves earlier, Grant stated "Good help is so hard to come by these days."

Contrarily, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed his slaves (which he never purchased - they were inherited) in 1862!!! Lee freed his slaves several years before the war was over, and considerably earlier than his Northern counterparts. And during the fierce early days of the war when the South was obliterating the Yankee armies!

Lastly, and most importantly, why did NORTHERN States outlaw slavery only AFTER the war was over? The so-called "Emancipation Proclamation" of Lincoln only gave freedom to slaves in the SOUTH! NOT in the North! This pecksniffery even went so far as to find the state of Delaware rejecting the 13th Amendment in December of 1865 and did not ratify it (13th Amendment / free the slaves) until 1901!

If that was the case you would know damn well it wasn't fought over slavery but over independence and the north trying to tax the south into submission and you also realize it states in the DOI that when a government becomes out of control its our right and duty to do away with it and start anew. Maybe you need to go back and read it.Or do you do like most folks and use it to fit your idea of things and how they should be but when it doesn't fit your idea its a useless piece of paper...by your brilliant logic our founding fathers were traitors and committed treason by declaring independence from England.

The timeline does not fit, the first real tariff on southern export goods did not pass until 1861, there was an earlier one in the 1830s but it was all but uncollectable and unenforced, try again.

MYTH - The South revered slavery.

FACT - A very interesting fact on slavery is that at the time the War of 1861 -1865 officially commenced, the Southern States were actually in the process of freeing all slaves in the South. Russia had freed it's servants in 1859, and the South took great note of this. Had military intervention not been forced upon the South, a very different America would have been realized then as well as now.

Lincoln Studies: Joseph T. Glatthaar, "General Lee's Army"

He finds that 10.27 percent of enlistees in the Confederate army in 1861 personally owned slaves (p. 19). While just 4.95 percent of whites owned slaves in the Confederacy, one might conclude the average Confederate enlistee was more than twice as likely to be a slave owner as a common citizen in the Confederacy. However, the conclusion fails to tell the whole story.

Less than 5% of whites owned slaves....what's that again about owning slaves is why it was fought....

The timeline does not fit, the first real tariff on southern export goods did not pass until 1861, there was an earlier one in the 1830s but it was all but uncollectable and unenforced, try again.

1861 is when the war started.....how do you know that had nothing to do with it? Why was the south discussing secession before Lincoln was elected? Obviously they knew what was coming and it wasn't freeing the slaves...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Lincoln-Abraham-Unnecessary/dp/0761536418]The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln,His Agenda,and an Unnecessary War: Thomas DiLorenzo: 9780761536413: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

EVERY person needs to read that book.

The states formed the union, they have every right to disolve it, Linclon did to the south what king George could not do to the colonies. In my opinion the states to this day has the right to withdraw from the union if they so choose. After all isn't that what freedom is all about?

FACT - A very interesting fact on slavery is that at the time the War of 1861 -1865 officially commenced, the Southern States were actually in the process of freeing all slaves in the South. Russia had freed it's servants in 1859, and the South took great note of this. Had military intervention not been forced upon the South, a very different America would have been realized then as well as now.

Lincoln Studies: Joseph T. Glatthaar, "General Lee's Army"

He finds that 10.27 percent of enlistees in the Confederate army in 1861 personally owned slaves (p. 19). While just 4.95 percent of whites owned slaves in the Confederacy, one might conclude the average Confederate enlistee was more than twice as likely to be a slave owner as a common citizen in the Confederacy. However, the conclusion fails to tell the whole story.

Less than 5% of whites owned slaves....what's that again about owning slaves is why it was fought....

Wealth has always been concentrated, especially in the south, all those poor white fighting men were promised land and slaves in the west after they finally won the right to export slaves and the institute of slavery to the new western territories that the south intended to be theirs as well as the eventual annexation of northern Mexico and conquest of the entire south American contenent.

FACT - A very interesting fact on slavery is that at the time the War of 1861 -1865 officially commenced, the Southern States were actually in the process of freeing all slaves in the South.

That's the biggest load ever. Let me refer you to just ONE piece of evidence to the contrary:

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union.

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

Read the rest here:

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Mississippi Secession

The states formed the union, they have every right to disolve it, Linclon did to the south what king George could not do to the colonies. In my opinion the states to this day has the right to withdraw from the union if they so choose. After all isn't that what freedom is all about?

We'll drag you the fuck back into the union. It's not in your right or your capacity to separate from the union, weakening the rest of us.

OkTexas said:
After all isn't that what freedom is all about?

No.

No, freedom is not all about rebelling against your country because your country is threatening your right to own slaves.

Texas did it twice, btw, once when it broke away from Mexico, which had just abolished slavery, and once more from the United States.

Nazi.Essentially what you are cowman...

No. I good sir, am an American.

It seems to me that quickly, such a term is becoming worse than Nazi to individuals like yourself. You're turning against your country, abandoning all you once loved and fought for.

Last edited:
Long after death, Confederate spy honored in Ark. - Yahoo! News

As he should be. Great men who fought for the right to determine our own fate,interesting how 150 years later we still have morons in the msm who still think the war was fought over slavery...wonder why they don't make such a huge fuss over white slaves from Britain? I don't agree with slavery and indeed my family as far as I know never owned a slave just like a good majority of Confederate soldiers did not they fought for their homeland and their freedom...today more than ever I do wish we had succeeded.

Slavery is the DIRECT cause of the Southern States leaving the Union. Most if not all of them said SO in the letters they proclaimed their right to leave. The Civil war was fought over slavery.

The supposed State right that the Southern States were protesting was the RIGHT to slavery. They said so in just about every state that left the Union.

Your refusal to understand facts and reality are amusing.

Forum List

Back