LONDON-Shoot Would Be Bomber, Surrounding Mosque

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Just awoke to lots of news! One suicide bomber dead, mosque in East London surrounded. No details on the mosque yet, but both CNN and FOX reporting:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050722/ap_on_re_eu/britain_explosions_shooting
Police Shoot Man at London Subway Station

1 minute ago

LONDON - Police shot a man wearing a thick coat at a London subway station on Friday, a day after the city was hit by a second wave of terror attacks in two weeks. The circumstances of the shooting were not immediately clear, nor was the man's condition.

British Transport Police said the Northern and Victoria Tube lines, which pass through Stockwell, were suspended because of shooting.

Passengers said they saw police pursuing a man who appeared to be of Pakistani or Indian descent. Some said police shot him when he tripped.

But one witness told the British Broadcasting Corp. that police "pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him."

"He looked like a cornered fox. He looked pertrified," Mark Whitby said.

Whitby said it didn't look like the man was carrying anything but said he was wearing a thick coat that looked padded.

Another witness said there were at least 20 police officers involved in the chase.

"The next thing I saw was this guy jump over the barriers and the police officers were chasing after him and everyone was just shouting, 'Get out, Get out!'" said Chris Wells, 28.

Subway passenger Briony Coetsee said she heard gunshots shortly after the shouts to get out.

Alistair Drummond, of the London Ambulance Service, said paramedics had been called to the station at 10:10 a.m.

taff said:
Also the house from one of the suicide bombers on 7/7 has been firebombed a few hours ago in Leeds.

Wow Taff, the police or a crime? How is London doing? For that matter, you?

Kathianne said:
Wow Taff, the police or a crime? How is London doing? For that matter, you?
Crime.Police and fire services called at 6:30am to their property.Thankfuly im well away from it as i live in Wales.

taff said:
Crime.Police and fire services called at 6:30am to their property.Thankfuly im well away from it as i live in Wales.

I knew that, about Wales. Not thinking, dang TV awoke me with an 'alert.' I probably will go back and see what is cooking on news in a few, still nothing on net about the mosque.

I thought they were still going through those houses, perhaps just the one they thought a 'bomb factory?' I hope no one was hurt.

I dont know if anybody was hurt, events in London this morning have put the story on the back burner so i havent heard anymore.They are saying the area in Leeds that the bombers came from is like a powder keg at the moment.

taff said:
I dont know if anybody was hurt, events in London this morning have put the story on the back burner so i havent heard anymore.They are saying the area in Leeds that the bombers came from is like a powder keg at the moment.

Considering what's been going on, I can understand why. I'm going to check what I can find, then go back to telly. Glad you are safe. ;) Well relatively speaking, as are we all.

Taff, not finding one story on the Leed's house. Do you have a link?

From sky teletext -

An area around the home of suicide bomber Germaine Lindsay has been sealed off after an arson attack.
Thames valley Police said they were called to the house in Aylesbury,Bucks (sorry not Leeds), shortly after 6:30am after reports of a strong smell of petrol.
Lindsay,19, blew himself up on a Piccadilly Line train on July 7, killing 26 people in the most deadly of the four terrorist attacks that day.
His wife, Samantha Lewthwaite, who is currently staying at the house, has condemned her husband's attack as "horrific".

Thanks Taff, found this from BBC, seems the wife and child no longer living there. Good:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/beds/bucks/herts/4707277.stm

Attempted arson at bomber's house
Germaine Lindsay
Germaine Lindsay has been named by police as one of the bombers
Arsonists are believed to have attacked the family home of the 7 July London suicide bomber Germaine Lindsay in the early hours of Friday morning.

Police were called to the unoccupied house in Northern Road, Aylesbury, Bucks, at 0630 BST after report of a strong smell of petrol in the street.

Houses in the immediate area have been evacuated while police and fire services examine the situation.

Police said the incident is being treated as an attempted arson attack.

Police are appealing to anyone who was in the area on Thursday night or in the early hours of Friday morning to contact them.

Lindsay, 19, died in 7 July bomb attack on the Piccadilly Line London Underground train, which killed 26 people.

Scene of bus explosion
Lindsay's wife Samantha Lewthwaite has expressed her horror

Last week, officers of the Metropolitan police and Thames Valley Police began a search of the semi-detached house on Northern Road, which Lindsay had shared with his wife, Samantha Lewthwaite.

Ms Lewthwaite, who is not currently at the house, last week condemned her husband's attack as "horrific".

Supt Carole Haveron said: "The substance was found around the family home of the fourth London bomber which is currently unoccupied.

"To conduct a premeditated attack like this is in itself a crime that puts the lives of innocent people in Northern Road at risk who themselves are united against the atrocities that took place in London.

"We would urge anyone who may have information about the person or people who carried out this act to contact us as soon as possible."

Forum List

Back