London 2012 Olympics Stuff

Well, I watched the whooooooole thing. I'm glad I watched but I sure wouldn't want to watch it again. I suspect all that played much better and more impressively in the stadium than it did on TV. Really fast parade of nations though. I enjoyed that. And I enjoyed the lighting of the Flame. But all and all, a rather lack luster television spectacular and I suspect that had a lot to do with the way NBC handled it.

Well, I watched the whooooooole thing. I'm glad I watched but I sure wouldn't want to watch it again. I suspect all that played much better and more impressively in the stadium than it did on TV. Really fast parade of nations though. I enjoyed that. And I enjoyed the lighting of the Flame. But all and all, a rather lack luster television spectacular and I suspect that had a lot to do with the way NBC handled it.

I watched the whole as well. Kind of pissed about it now, there were a couple of news stories I wanted to catch on KOAT...

What crack-head came up with the idea for the riding bikes with glowing wings? That was cringe-worthy.

The London cauldron was impressive. Apart from that, I wish I'd gone to the pub instead of endure that cringe-fest. I don't think I've seen an Olympic ceremony with such a heavy UN presence up until last night, either.

The London cauldron was impressive. Apart from that, I wish I'd gone to the pub instead of endure that cringe-fest. I don't think I've seen an Olympic ceremony with such a heavy UN presence up until last night, either.

Other than that ridiculous 'homage' to the NHS, I thought it was very good. Very British. Understated, well thought out, well executed and cute. Pity that the rest of the world won't understand the chimneys rising from the fields and shit. The figure of Isambard Kingdom Brunel will float gently over their heads... :lol:

The Opening Ceremony was not as good as Sydney's was!

Location: Australia. Yea, we can see you're totally unbiased view.

London wasn't competing with other Olympics. They did things their own way... they aren't flashy like the US and Australia.

Well, from reading multiple headlines this morning, to reading some of the posts here ... I'm not at all disappointed that I missed the opening ceremonies.

I agree, during the parade of nations even the announcers seemed bored. I hate when they trot Ali out for these things. He has nothing to do with England. Lighting the Cauldron was impressive, I just thought they should have had a famous British Olympian do it. Sebastian Coe was my favorite. Paul McCarneys singing was horrible.

Overall, I'd give them a B-

I agree, during the parade of nations even the announcers seemed bored. I hate when they trot Ali out for these things. He has nothing to do with England. Lighting the Cauldron was impressive, I just thought they should have had a famous British Olympian do it. Sebastian Coe was my favorite. Paul McCarneys singing was horrible.

I'm sure the collective heart of Britain is broken by your grading of their opening. They did have their greatest Olympian (Steve Redgrave, not Seb - the arrogant ass - Coe), carry the torch into the sadium... but they opted to give potential future Olympians the honor of lighting the flame. I thought that was very British.

I agree about McCarthy. Someone really ought to suggest he retire gracefully.

Other than that ridiculous 'homage' to the NHS, I thought it was very good. Very British. Understated, well thought out, well executed and cute. Pity that the rest of the world won't understand the chimneys rising from the fields and shit. The figure of Isambard Kingdom Brunel will float gently over their heads... :lol:
Yeah, that NHS stuff was cringeworthy. Propaganda much?

Otherwise, I loved it! Paul's voice is bad, though. We all get old eventually, if we are lucky. Awesome parade of nations.

I'm sure the collective heart of Britain is broken by your grading of their opening. They did have their greatest Olympian (Steve Redgrave, not Seb - the arrogant ass - Coe), carry the torch into the sadium... but they opted to give potential future Olympians the honor of lighting the flame. I thought that was very British.

I suspect the reviews of last night's performance will convince him. If that's the best he's got, then he hasn't got it anymore.

I would have given the Atlanta Olympics a C. These opening ceremonies are turning into Busby Berkely production numbers and are just getting out of hand.

Actually never heard of Englands greatest Olympian. But then again, I don't follow rowing. Roger Bannister is their most famous athlete. Even more famous than ship captain Beckham

Just an aside, did anyone notice in the opening ceremony that Hong Kong are representing themselves, independently from China? I know the Chinese encourage Hong Kong's free market and treat it as an economic enclave, but I didn't think Hong Kong enjoyed that level of autonomy from the mainland. Can anyone shed any light on that?

Just an aside, did anyone notice in the opening ceremony that Hong Kong are representing themselves, independently from China? I know the Chinese encourage Hong Kong's free market and treat it as an economic enclave, but I didn't think Hong Kong enjoyed that level of autonomy from the mainland. Can anyone shed any light on that?

I didn't notice that. Good question.

I wondered about that too.

And... sorry to see Cavendish lose out on the Gold in the cycling today. Gutted for the Brits. You so deserved the Gold... for that incredible performance in the Tour de France! Amazing shit! Sadly, the countries that would usually help you to victory decided not to. Bastards!

Forum List

Back