Lol

Old Crock, you lied, you stated zero emissions

There are no CO2 emissions from geothermal energy

Of course Old Crock will ignore the truth and Old crock will ignore his own double speak.

Are there emissions or are there no emissions, what is old crocks position? You cant have it both ways, you either lied or you dont know what you are talking about, which is it?

Old Crock, I wont follow your links, you dont read them so why should anyone else.

Coal

Estimated emissions of CO2 produced by coal-fired generation of electricity were 1,788 million metric tons in 1999 (Table 1), 0.7 percent less than in 1998, while electricity generation from coal was 0.4 percent more than the previous year. The divergent direction of generation and emissions changes may reflect a combination of thermal efficiency improvements, changes in average fuel characteristics, and variances associated with both sampling and nonsampling errors. CO2 emissions from coal-fired electricity generation comprise nearly 80 percent of the total CO2 emissions produced by the generation of electricity in the United States, while the share of electricity generation from coal was 51.0 percent in 1999 (Table 3). Coal has the highest carbon intensity among fossil fuels, resulting in coal-fired plants having the highest output rate of CO2 per kilowatthour. The national average output rate for coal-fired electricity generation was 2.095 pounds CO2 per kilowatthour in 1999 (Table 4).

Coal-fired generation contributes over 90 percent of CO2 emissions in the East North Central, West North Central, East South Central, and Mountain Census Divisions and 84 percent in the South Atlantic Census Division (Table 2). Nearly two-thirds of the Nation's CO2 emissions from electricity generation are accounted for by the combustion of coal for electricity generation in these five regions where most of the Nation's coal-producing States are located. Consequently, these regions have relatively high output rates of CO2 per kilowatthour.

CO2 Emissions Report

Old crock still goes off half cocked, old crock lied, old crock stated zero emissions.

Old Crock is a political hack, posting countless links to distract us from the real issue, we can spend hours reading the link old crock "cut and pasted" in seconds.

Imaging dumbass old crock, sitting at the computer, not reading nor understanding a thing, just "cut and paste", "cut and paste", its a political hack strategy, confound the opponent with bullshit to keep em busy chasing a "wild goose".

Trees eat C02 for breakfast, tomato plants die without C02, wheat will not grow without C02, C02 is what feeds the world, C02 is food.

Thats right, C02 is food for all life, without C02 food will die. Liberal/Marxist want us to die, look at the books they write:

The World Without Us - Alan Weisman

From places already devoid of humans (a last fragment of primeval European forest; the Korean DMZ; Chernobyl), Weisman reveals Earth's tremendous capacity for self-healing. As he shows which human devastations are indelible, and which examples of our highest art and culture would endure longest, Weisman's narrative ultimately drives toward a radical but persuasive solution that doesn't depend on our demise. It is narrative nonfiction at its finest, and in posing an irresistible concept with both gravity and a highly-readable touch, it looks deeply at our effects on the planet in a way that no other book has.

Yes we must find a way to eliminate all C02 from earth, than there will be no food, no plants, no crops, no animals, and finally humans will die.

C02 is food for all of mankind, not pollution.

Old Crock cant even get geothermal right, Old Crock is a liar and political hack.

This is old crocks lie, this is old crocks ignorance, this is old crock being a moron.

I have shown three sources proving old crock wrong yet do we see old crock humbled, nope, as a fool he continues the "cut and paste" like a monkey in a cage earning his bananas

Last edited:
Old crock still goes off half cocked, old crock lied, old crock stated zero emissions.

Old Crock is a political hack, posting countless links to distract us from the real issue, we can spend hours reading the link old crock "cut and pasted" in seconds.

Imaging dumbass old crock, sitting at the computer, not reading nor understanding a thing, just "cut and paste", "cut and paste", its a political hack strategy, confound the opponent with bullshit to keep em busy chasing a "wild goose".

Trees eat C02 for breakfast, tomato plants die without C02, wheat will not grow without C02, C02 is what feeds the world, C02 is food.

Thats right, C02 is food for all life, without C02 food will die. Liberal/Marxist want us to die, look at the books they write:

From places already devoid of humans (a last fragment of primeval European forest; the Korean DMZ; Chernobyl), Weisman reveals Earth's tremendous capacity for self-healing. As he shows which human devastations are indelible, and which examples of our highest art and culture would endure longest, Weisman's narrative ultimately drives toward a radical but persuasive solution that doesn't depend on our demise. It is narrative nonfiction at its finest, and in posing an irresistible concept with both gravity and a highly-readable touch, it looks deeply at our effects on the planet in a way that no other book has.

Yes we must find a way to eliminate all C02 from earth, than there will be no food, no plants, no crops, no animals, and finally humans will die.

Old Crock cant even get geothermal right, Old Crock is a liar and political hack.

This is old crocks lie, this is old crocks ignorance, this is old crock being a moron.

I have shown three sources proving old crock wrong yet do we see old crock humbled, nope, as a fool he continues the "cut and paste" like a monkey in a cage earning his bananas

Not to be a buttinski here, but must you be so abrasive? It's as easy to state a point of view without an insult as it is to state a point of view with an insult. Maybe easier.

As was proven by the Romans about 2000 years back, killing the messenger does not always kill the message. Your arguments may be persuasive, but I have difficulty reading past the insulting approach.

Not to be a buttinski here, but must you be so abrasive? It's as easy to state a point of view without an insult as it is to state a point of view with an insult. Maybe easier.

As was proven by the Romans about 2000 years back, killing the messenger does not always kill the message. Your arguments may be persuasive, but I have difficulty reading past the insulting approach.

One does not speak with trolls the same as one speaks with a prince.

Old Crock has insulted me many a time, Old Crock posts bullshit, Old Crock lies, am I to pet a rabid dog? Should I say good pouch?

Should my post be dry and devoid of humor, shall I sit and be insulted and not dish it back?

I will not engage an idoit, a fool, a political hack with the same respect I reserve for those who wish to exchange ideas, thoughts and facts with.

If you cannot get past my insults, which actually are not insults at all, they are descriptive adjectives than my posts are not meant for you.

If old crock cares to treat everyone with respect and if old crock cares to engage in the exchange of ideas than I am more than ready, the constant cut and paste of articles and sources is more than a big bore, so I am more than ready to engage on a civil level.

Old Crock is not an insult, it is my way of saying a "crock of shit", as in what Old Crock posts is nothing more than bullshit. Sorry, I aint got a more eloquent way to state this.

Stating Old Crock goes off half cocked is not an insult either, I mean it literally, to go off "half cocked" means Old Crock is not thinking before he posts.

Calling Old Crock a dumbass, well that is an insult, its meant to get the idiot mad enough to go back to thread he lied in and post, in this case old crock stated a geothermal plant I am familiar with has a design flaw, the dumbass has yet to give me the name hence Old Crock is being an ass and being dumb, hell, dumbass is not an insult when directed at Old Crock.

Old Crock is a political hack, not an insult, that is what Old Crock is. Hack meaning someone who does things half-assed and without a grasp of what they are doing.

So, I can stay out of the gutter for only so long, I can take only so many insults, I can tolerate only so many lies posted against my facts by any user before I take it down to the gutter. Eventually maybe Old Crock will get it and quite being a dumbass and actually try and use some intellect, maybe old crock wont get it, maybe old crock will get tired of being insulted and quit insulting others, maybe old crock will get tired of insults posted in response to old crocks endless cut and pasting of political propagandaand quit posting.

Either way I will not address a fool with respect thus giving said fool a bit of credibility by engaging said fool as if said fool is a person of intellect, reason, and of a position worthy of consideration.

I hope you understand that I have not posted insults simply as insults.

I had one last great line but I reveal too much.

Oregon Technical Institute in Klamath Falls, Oregon, is a very good source of information on geo-thermal projects and data;

GEO-HEAT CENTER

So what Old Crock, I am sure they are a great source, I am also sure you have no idea why, I am also sure you have not studied at the Technical Institute. Further you have not posted anything that indicates you understand what they teach and how that relates to geothermal.

So how about the name of the plant that Old Crock stated has a design flaw. Old Crock cannot even back-up or even debate one post old crock makes, something that should be simple to explain after a week.

Great, go find something out about geothermal and specifically find something about what you already posted, hell Old Crock, why not start this converstation by reading your own Scientific America article, admit what is wrong, maybe we could actually discuss what you beleive and how you came to your wrong conclusions, would that not be more interesting instead of your endless references to sources old crock has not read.

Why dont we Start with you Scientific America article, why does the article not support what Old Crock claimed, why not we start with something you, you old crock, have already posted.

I aint just posting links and sources, I am telling you what is happening and the facts you have no idea about. if you do not wish to discuss this than your agenda is simply to post political propaganda.

Old Crock has provided more than enough sources, how about Old Crock disccuss at least one of Old Crock's qoutes and sources, lets start wth the SA article.

Wanted: A Geothermal Pump That Can Handle the Heat: Scientific American

"Energy from geothermal resources is affordable and abundant," said Patrick Maloney, senior program officer at Lemelson. "But the problem to date has been harnessing it. This report will hopefully provide companies and individual innovators the parameters needed to solve a key part of that problem."

The report is a result of a meeting held earlier this year at Stanford University that brought together 20 top experts in the field, including representatives from government, academia and the private sector, to look for ways to reduce fossil fuel use through an expanded adoption of geothermal.

Pump companies, universities and inventors are being asked to compete for a $5 million prize purse to be awarded in 2015. The winning firm will also receive an advance market commitment for 100 pumps, a $75 million order designed to serve as the chief incentive to innovators.

It would seem, according to this article in the Scientific American, that Geothermal is shaping up to be our cheapest source of energy. Clean, cheap, and 24/7.

Can Geothermal Power Compete with Coal on Price?: Scientific American

Although the environmental benefits of burning less fossil fuel by using renewable sources of energy—such as geothermal, hydropower, solar and wind—are clear, there's been a serious roadblock in their adoption: cost per kilowatt-hour.

That barrier may be opening, however—at least for one of these sources. Two recent reports, among others, suggest that geothermal may actually be cheaper than every other source, including coal. Geothermal power plants work by pumping hot water from deep beneath Earth's surface, which can either be used to turn steam turbines directly or to heat a second, more volatile liquid such as isobutane (which then turns a steam turbine).

Nothing wrong with developing Geo - but it will be years/decades in the making.

No reason not to utilize our vast coal and and natural gas resources NOW - and fast track increasing our nuclear power capacity as well.

Old Crock, whats your deal, you forget this entire thread, too much pot smoke out there on the left coast or are fucking with me. I got to scratch my head and wonder if your an idiot are you just have to get the last word in. So this again proves Old Crock goes off half cocked and for fun I will respond once again by this time I will simply qoute the same article with no cherry picking of the article. Old Crock, boy are you dumb, next time you post something Old Crock you should not be so lazy and read the whole article, or maybe you should use the scroll bar, on the right of the window, its used to scroll to writing and words that dont fit on your computer screen.

So to help I will post the entire first page of Old Crocks article, first old crocks original cheery picked paragraph.

It would seem, according to this article in the Scientific American, that Geothermal is shaping up to be our cheapest source of energy. Clean, cheap, and 24/7.

Can Geothermal Power Compete with Coal on Price?: Scientific American

Although the environmental benefits of burning less fossil fuel by using renewable sources of energy—such as geothermal, hydropower, solar and wind—are clear, there's been a serious roadblock in their adoption: cost per kilowatt-hour.

That barrier may be opening, however—at least for one of these sources. Two recent reports, among others, suggest that geothermal may actually be cheaper than every other source, including coal. Geothermal power plants work by pumping hot water from deep beneath Earth's surface, which can either be used to turn steam turbines directly or to heat a second, more volatile liquid such as isobutane (which then turns a steam turbine).

Now the whole 1st page of old crocks article.

Combine a new U.S. president pushing a stimulus package that includes $28 billion in direct subsidies for renewable energy with another $13 billion for research and development, and the picture for renewable energy—geothermal power among the options—is brightening. The newest report, from international investment bank Credit Suisse, says geothermal power costs 3.6 cents per kilowatt-hour, versus 5.5 cents per kilowatt-hour for coal.

That does not mean companies are rushing to build geothermal plants: There are a number of assumptions in the geothermal figure. First, there are the tax incentives, which save about 1.9 cents per kilowatt-hour. Those won't necessarily last forever, however—although the stimulus bill extended them through 2013.

Second, the Credit Suisse analysis relied on what is called the "levelized [sic] cost of energy," or the total cost to produce a given unit of energy. Embedded within this figure is an assumption that the money to build a new geothermal plant is available at reasonable interest rates—on the order of 8 percent.

In today's economic climate, that just isn't the case. "In general, there is financing out there for geothermal, but it's difficult to get and it's expensive," Geothermal Energy Association director Karl Gawell told ScientificAmerican.com recently. "You have to have a really premium project to get even credit card interest rates."

That means very high up-front costs. As a result, companies are more likely to spend money on things with lower front-end costs, like natural gas–powered plants, which are cheap to build but relatively expensive to operate because of the cost of the fuel needed to run them.

"Natural gas is popular for this reason," says Kevin Kitz, an engineer at Boise, Idaho–based U.S. Geothermal, Inc, which owns and operates three geothermal sites. "It has a low capital cost, and even if you project cost of natural gas to be high in future, if you use a high [interest rate in your model] that doesn't matter very much."

Natural gas, which came in at 5.2 cents per kilowatt-hour in the analysis, is also popular because it can be deployed anywhere, whereas only 13 U.S. states have identified geothermal resources. Although this limits the scalability of geothermal power, a 2008 survey by the U.S. Geological Survey estimates that the U.S. possesses 40,000 megawatts of geothermal energy that could be exploited using today's technology. (For comparison, the average coal-fired power plant in the U.S. has a capacity of more than 500 MW.)

Old Crock's article explains that the Credit Suisse report is flawed, that geothermal is more expensive than stated, so thanks old crock.

OLD CROCK PROVES GEOTHERMAL IS TOO EXPENSIVE.

There is something wrong with devoloping geothermal, one it is expensive, two exenspensive equals disproportunate use of earths natural resources to develop, extremely polluting.

Quick note on pollution, while I searched for informaiton on this most articles and a lot of reports are very specific in refering to "emissions" as in air emissions. Very few speak of the solid toxic waste that is produced. A second point is almost all the reports speak of emmissions at the plant, the well head is not included as part of a plant but remember each plant is unique so this is not true of every plant. A third point is that the majority of the reports does not mention normal maintenance when the plant is not operating, each plant must be shutdown and have systems inspected, repaired, and cleaned, scheduled maitenance. Fourth no mention is made of un-scheduled maintence, no mention of emmisions at the well head, no mention of emmissions when pipes burst and systems fail.

There is a reason not to develop geothermal energy, Geothermal is a mature technology developed and refined over a hundred years, the first geothermal power plant was built 100 hears ago.

There is not much if anything else to know, you sink a well with the same rig used for oil, pump deadly toxic brine to the earth, flash the steam in a heat exchanger and drive a turbine.

Geothermal brine destroys all it touches and that makes geothermal use 1000's of tons of steel pipes, the energy used to smelt steel is not renewable hence a geothermal plant needs fossil fuel to supply new pipes on a daily basis, the work never ends, constantly replacing miles of pipes.

Geothermal is not renewable, its expensive, polluting, and a tired old form of energy.

Last edited:
Articles

Geothermal Brine Well: Mile-Deep Drill Hole May Tap Ore-Bearing Magmatic Water and Rocks Undergoing Metamorphism
Donald E. White 1, E. T. Anderson 2, and Donald K. Grubbs 3
1 United States Geological Survey, Menlo Park, California
2 O'Neill Geothermal Inc., Midland, Texas
3 University of Virginia, Charlottesville

Hmmmm.......... Energy, gold, silver, copper, zinc, and other valuable minerals, pump the remaining fluid back into the formation, after using the heat to produce electricity. Sounds like a real win/win idea.

Geothermal Brine Well: Mile-Deep Drill Hole May Tap Ore-Bearing Magmatic Water and Rocks Undergoing Metamorphism -- White et al. 139 (3558): 919 -- Science
A deep geothermal well in California has tapped a very saline brine extraordinarily high in heavy metals and other rare elements; copper and silver are precipitated during brine production. Preliminary evidence suggests that the brine may be pure magmatic water and an active ore-forming solution. Metamorphism of relatively young rocks may also be occurring within accessible depths.

Not a pipe dream, either. Already being done successfully.

http://geoheat.oit.edu/bulletin/bull21-2/art1.pdf

On January 31, 1999, CalEnergy Operating Corp.
(CalEnergy) unveiled a $400 million expansion of their
geothermal power complex on the shores of the Salton Sea in
southern California’s Imperial Valley. The new construction
includes nearly 60 megawatts (MW) of new geothermal electrical
capacity, and a unique project to “mine” commercialgrade
zinc from geothermal brine produced for power
generation. CalEnergy is a subsidiary of Mid-American
Energy Holdings Co. (Des Moines, IA).
CalEnergy currently operates eight geothermal power
plants with a capacity of 288 net MW at the Salton Sea.
Construction underway for completion by late-July includes
Unit 5, a 49-MW facility that will utilize high-temperature
waste brine from four of the company’s existing power plants
to fuel the minerals recovery project and produce electricity.
In addition, a 10-MW turbine will be on-line by mid-March to
upgrade power production at CalEnergy’s Del Ranch and
Vulcan power plants. Construction companies heading up the
projects include Stone & Webster Engineering Corp. (Denver,
CO) and Kvaener U.S., Inc. (San Ramon, CA), which are
subcontracting work to local firms.
Funded entirely by CalEnergy, the $200-million
mineral recovery project will produce 30,000 metric tonnes of
99.99-percent pure zinc annually for Cominco Ltd. under a
contract signed last September.

There is one field in the Salton Sea that has pollution problems due to inadaquete design.

Old Crock I asked you to state which plant had the design flaw so that I could make you look like a fool. Seriously, you have no memory or are a big moron. Watch how easy it is show Old Crock is a moron (as well as anyone who comes to green energy's defence).

Yes there is one plant with a design flaw, I know that, the challenge was simple, provide the name of the plant so we could discuss the problem.

Old Crock has now inadvertently provided the plant, a 400,000,000 dollar waste of money to produce 60 megawatts of power, that is extremely expensive showing your earlier "Suisse credit" figure to be a gross error.

This is the plant that Old Crock refered to that has the design flaw, the mineral recover plant failed and now sits idle. This makes the new 400 million dollar 60 megawatt geothermal power plant the most expensively produced power in the world.

On January 31, 1999, CalEnergy Operating Corp.
(CalEnergy) unveiled a $400 million expansion of their
geothermal power complex on the shores of the Salton Sea in
southern California’s Imperial Valley. The new construction
includes nearly 60 megawatts (MW) of new geothermal electrical
capacity, and a unique project to “mine” commercialgrade
zinc from geothermal brine produced for power
generation.

I wonder if Old Crock can get dumb ass Chris to help out.

Over and over Old Crock proves that Old Crock is stupid beyond beleif.

First Old Crock attempts to discredit my facts by stating off-the-cuff one of the Cal Energy Geothermal plants I am discussing has a design flaw. Old Crock when challenged does not know which plant so Old Crock failed to support Old Crock's comment. Than Old Crock provides the plant with the design flaw to show Geothermal is successful, Old Crock searched all this time and found an article ten years old. Too bad Old Crock did not check to see if the Zinc/Mineral recovery was a success, its not.

Old Crock is an Old Joke. but maybe Chris can help.

Here is a link to one source showing that Old Crock posted an old article that is irrelevant.

The zinc recovery project was put online in 2002,
but was shut down in 2004 due to technical problems

In 2002, a zinc-extraction plant was completed in the
Imperial Valley of California. It used electricity from
geothermal power plants for the recovery of metal from
geothermal brines (Clutter, 2000). The $400-million zinc
project by MidAmerican Energy Holding Co. was supposed
to extract 30,000 tonnes of zinc annually. The wastewater
from eight power plants, having 600 ppm of zinc was
utilized. Unfortunately, the plant, which ran until 2004,
produced less than 50% of capacity and lost $69 million on
the project (GRC, 2004d). It is now shut down and being
dismantled due to poor economics and technical problems.
MidAmerican is now looking at silica extraction.

There are more problems with the unreliable Geothermal energy, imagine a geothermal power plant producing such a tiny amount of power having an uncontollable event. The uncontrollable event was the brine eating through a 48" pipe until it literally explodes spilling toxic brine all over the imperial valley's Asparagus fields.

On July 10, 2003, the Salton Sea IV Project’s 40 megawatt turbine went out of service due to an uncontrollable force event.
Such uncontrollable force event ended, and the Salton Sea IV Project’s turbine returned to service, on September 17, 2003.
Edison failed to recognize the uncontrollable force event and, as such, has not paid amounts otherwise due and owing under
the Salton Sea IV power purchase agreement totaling $2.5 million. Salton Sea Power Generation, L.P., with Fish Lake Power
LLC, owner of the Salton Sea IV Project, served notices of error on Edison for such unpaid amounts

So from a "win, win" to a multi-million dollar loss, Old Crock I must say if you prove anything its that Green Energy is too expensive.

Hey, check out the amount of time this power plant was down, Old Crock you did not calculate this time into your costs either. Looks to me that Geothermal is too expensive and unreliable.

Now how about how much energy and what types does it take to produce one ton of fiberglass.

Last edited:
Ineresting, that chart stops at 2009. A bit has happened since then. Like record ocean temperatures.

In hot water: World sets ocean temperature record (Update)

The water temperature was 72 degrees - more like Ocean City, Md., this time of year. And Ocean City's water temp hit 88 degrees, toasty even by Miami Beach standards.

Kramer, 26, who lives in the seaside town of Scarborough, said it was the first time he's ever swam so long in Maine's coastal waters.

It's not just the ocean off the Northeast coast that is super-warm this summer. July was the hottest the world's oceans have been in almost 130 years of record-keeping.

The average water temperature worldwide was 62.6 degrees, according to the National Climatic Data Center, the branch of the U.S. government that keeps world weather records. June was only slightly cooler, while August could set another record, scientists say. The previous record was set in July 1998 during a powerful El Nino.
They are liars Old Crock, your crusty old link says the warm water will give us stronger hurricanes. That is a fact, right? Florence, was that even a hurricane when it hit land? If ocean water was warm as the article says this would of been a cat 5 hurricane. It was not so they are either liars, idiots, or?

Ineresting, that chart stops at 2009. A bit has happened since then. Like record ocean temperatures.

In hot water: World sets ocean temperature record (Update)

The water temperature was 72 degrees - more like Ocean City, Md., this time of year. And Ocean City's water temp hit 88 degrees, toasty even by Miami Beach standards.

Kramer, 26, who lives in the seaside town of Scarborough, said it was the first time he's ever swam so long in Maine's coastal waters.

It's not just the ocean off the Northeast coast that is super-warm this summer. July was the hottest the world's oceans have been in almost 130 years of record-keeping.

The average water temperature worldwide was 62.6 degrees, according to the National Climatic Data Center, the branch of the U.S. government that keeps world weather records. June was only slightly cooler, while August could set another record, scientists say. The previous record was set in July 1998 during a powerful El Nino.
They are liars Old Crock, your crusty old link says the warm water will give us stronger hurricanes. That is a fact, right? Florence, was that even a hurricane when it hit land? If ocean water was warm as the article says this would of been a cat 5 hurricane. It was not so they are either liars, idiots, or?

Lol..... it's funny reading some of the posts by Old Rock's here... from almost 10 years ago.

It just proves these people live in a completely different reality than the rest of us. Some in here are pushing an agenda.... but some really believe all this crap!:deal:

Sometimes I hate pointing out how wrong old crock is cause after he simply disappears. It is pretty funny reading his stupidity. Almost as funny as all the idiots like madMOOT that supports and agrees with everything old crock posts.

New Topics

Forum List

Back