Lol

nbdysfu,
I think the 'concept' of a UN is a wonderful idea, but then so was the 'League of Nations'. The 'multi-lateralist' Europeans certainly bought into Wilson's ideal more thoroughly than the US people or Congress ever did. However, when trouble was brewing, it was the Europeans who refused to have the League seriously deal with Hitler. They also ignored the rules of the League regarding debt and reparations. The League died due to proven ineffectualness.

I find those mistakes interesting in light of what is going on today in the UN. Particularly regarding French and German high-handed ability to ignore the budget provisions in the EU, which they themselves helped to draw up. Then there are the nearly 20 UN resolutions regarding Iraq, where serious implementation was not cosidered, until the US and UK decided to make it so. Then came the brazen afterwar projects, and like 'Little Red Hen's' friends, they come running, while it was 'debt', not reparations, one could wonder how much of the debt was 'legal' in light of the UN sanctions, which were not being enforced.

While the UN had its time, it seems it is past time to consider something more workable, though at the present time, with the present constitution/charter of the UN, I don't think it will be accomplished.

Forum List

Back