LOL - McCain's got a preacher problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you? This thread wouldn't exist if McCain hadn't rejected Hagee's endorsement. Right? The only implication of coziness is the one you dreamed up.

Your first sentence is nonsense. Obama is a candidate for the US Presidency. Of course his personal religious views have something to do with your, and everyone else's lives, and THAT is a coziness that exists.

You can brush off a political endorsement because you don't agree with the beliefs of the organization doing the endorsing. You can't brush off your personal pastor of 20+ years and expect anyone capable of rational thought to buy it.

Again, the comparison doesn't exist without having to invent it.

You and I are going to keep going around and around on this. If you think the Rev Wright thing makes me happy, it doesn't. And if McCain were the person he was in 2000, I might well have cast my vote for him. Hagee is just a symptom of what ails him, IMO. And I think it's clear from the policy positions he's taking that McCain has traded a chunk of his soul to the good rev's Hagee and Parsley. And for me, that's a deal-breaker. Obviously, other issues are more relevant to you. Don't think for a second that the Rev Wright issue doesn't trouble me. Don't think for a second that I'm comfortable with it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me cringe. But the question I ask is this: Is Rev Wright going to shape U.S. policy? The answer's no. Are Hagee and Parsley? Well, yes, why do you think they have a relationship with McCain (the guy who called them "agents of intolerance") in the first place?

Yeah, they're both retarded, but, one's a personal relationship that has nothing to do with my life. The other is a political relationship of choice and implies a coziness with the radical religious right that this country needs to get away from. Not to mention the fact that the whole Hitler was doing G-d's work thing is just wacko nutso out there...

you do understand the difference, right?

Then you must have a problem with Obama when he said that he was blessed the other day. Lol.

You know, some people attend church and don't even subscribe to the basic teaching that Jesus rose from the dead.

I realize a slavish right-wing follower can't understand how independent thought works, as it is foreign to your own experience, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

jreeves and misquoted by dogger said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreeves
yada, yada, yada, yada, . . .

Please stop misusing the USMB quote function.

The quote function is in place to quote individual posts, or parts of posts. It is not present to misquote or misrepresent the words of others.

yap, yap, yap, yap, blippity, bloppity, do . . .

I often don't repeat a post because I feel it does not merit repeating. I replace nonsense with "blah, blah, blah" or the equivalent to show my disdain for the original post. No one seriously believes jreeves said that, so no one was misled. If you are saying that you've been misled, I'd suggest that you are being deliberately obtuse.

When I feel a post does not merit repitition, the quote function still clarifies which post I'm responding to, and enables readers to locate it quickly. So it serves a useful purpose.

This is exactly why as a McCain supporter I refused to pile on Obama for Rev. Wright.

This is guilt by association at its worst. I did not join the witch hunt with Obama and I certainly will not join the Vigilante's seeking to hang McCain.

This remains a silly issue pimped by a silly news media consumed with pettiness and advertising revenue, than meaningful issues with substance.

that is a refreshing statement Good Shepard...

seriously concentrating on what McCain, Obama and Clinton actually have to say rather than the words of their associates (or lol, associates of associates) makes perfect sense.

still i gotta say this one is a heck of good chuckle for me. Love the whitewash on it...McCain merely courted the guy for year...but...but .but

:rofl:

This is exactly why as a McCain supporter I refused to pile on Obama for Rev. Wright.

This is guilt by association at its worst. I did not join the witch hunt with Obama and I certainly will not join the Vigilante's seeking to hang McCain.

This remains a silly issue pimped by a silly news media consumed with pettiness and advertising revenue, than meaningful issues with substance.

I agree. You're the rare republican who wasn't spiking the ball in the end zone over reverend wright. But, I agree with you. Making preachers an issue in a national election is beyond lame.

As a devout Roman Catholic, I favored Sen. Brownback of course. But he dropped out. Senator McCain will continue our President's policies, and that's why I wholeheartedly support him. But now this Catholic issue comes up. Rev. Hagee called the Catholic Church whores and the Pope anti-Christ and such. So I was a bit confused about this. However, Senator McCain said he disagrees with Rev. Hagee's statement that we are whores in a false cult from Hell. Also, Dr. Donahue of the Catholic League said it's still fine to support Senator McCain. So I will.

Whether or not someone holds all the values of a church is irrelevant. I never said they couldn't attend, I just don't think they should be our President.

jreeves wrote the above as part of a discussion about my statement, "You know, some people attend church and don't even subscribe to the basic teaching that Jesus rose from the dead."

The "some people" I had in mind included deists James Madison, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington. These men belonged to traditional Christian denominations such as Presbyterian and Episcopalian churches, but did not believe in the divinity of Christ. According to jreeves, George Bush is qualified to be President while these founding fathers are not.

Uh-oh.

McCain had to bail on ANOTHER crazy wingnut pastor. The prominent Rod Parsley, who said this nation was founded to destroy Islam.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/22/rod-parsley-mccains-other_n_103178.html

McCain probably spent over a year courting Hagee and Parsley, and his campaign knew full well the outrageous and bigoted comments these pastors have said over the years.

So, McCain courted and gladly accepted their endorsements, only to bail on them when the mainstream media revealed what bigoted jerks they are.

I am LMAO

Uh-oh.

McCain had to bail on ANOTHER crazy wingnut pastor. The prominent Rod Parsley, who said this nation was founded to destroy Islam.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/22/rod-parsley-mccains-other_n_103178.html

McCain probably spent over a year courting Hagee and Parsley, and his campaign knew full well the outrageous and bigoted comments these pastors have said over the years.

So, McCain courted and gladly accepted their endorsements, only to bail on them when the mainstream media revealed what bigoted jerks they are.

I am LMAO

I'm surprised he bailed on Parsley. I thought that was a common belief among the far right wing...I guess he's going for the moderates? What does Rush have to say about this?

I often don't repeat a post because I feel it does not merit repeating. I replace nonsense with "blah, blah, blah" or the equivalent to show my disdain for the original post. No one seriously believes jreeves said that, so no one was misled. If you are saying that you've been misled, I'd suggest that you are being deliberately obtuse.

When I feel a post does not merit repitition, the quote function still clarifies which post I'm responding to, and enables readers to locate it quickly. So it serves a useful purpose.
Second warning. Please stop misusing the USMB quote function. There are many instances when an individual has not read an entire thread. There is no way to tell that you are obnoxiously mocking the poster and misquoting his original post. Stop misusing the USMB quote function.

I can smell the Liberal Elitism coming from some of the comments and "disdains" on this topic.

Now on to the real topic.

There is a clear difference between an endorsement and something that attributes to your life / lifestyle.

Senator McCain (who was NOT my choice) received an endorsement. Whether he went after it or not doesn't matter. It is someone choosing to give a candidate the nod, and persuade the people in their "sphere of influence," as well as other undecideds to vote for the person whom they want.

Senator Obama went to a church with a lot of anti-American, anti-white teaching, and stayed there for 20 years. Pastors (like in my church)
teach according to doctrine and beliefs. They don't sway with what the public thinks, they preach what they believe, and what they feel what their congregation believes. As in any church, the congregation stays in a church in which they believe preaches the message they want to hear, or what they believe. When congregates disagree with the pastor over a bulk of issues (even if it takes a year), they will eventually leave. I have seen it happen in my church and in other churches.

Obama went to this church for over 20 years. If Obama heard these statements, which have been preached to that church many times, and if he disagreed with them, he would have eventually left. But that did not happen, did it? He stayed at that church, showing his agreement and support for the preaching, teaching, and doctrine coming from that church.

Comparing Obama's Church issues with McCain's pastoral endorsements is like trying to compare a lamp and a shoe. There is no comparison here. The media is trying to clean up a mess that THEY STARTED IN THE FIRST PLACE, so they tried to create a problem for McCain, like they created and FORGED the Texas Air National Guard records to give Bush a problem. Oh how history repeats itself....

dude.. don't vote for Obama then. It's really as simple as that. If YOU think his preacher, whose outlook is the direct product of American History, is worse than a man whose dogma rages from demonizing catholics to pawning jews in some bat shit crazy hope for his version of end times doctine then so be it. Hell, for that matter, feel free to flaunt the endorsement of Fred Phelps too. Lamps and shoes, right?

dude.. don't vote for Obama then. It's really as simple as that. If YOU think his preacher, whose outlook is the direct product of American History, is worse than a man whose dogma rages from demonizing catholics to pawning jews in some bat shit crazy hope for his version of end times doctine then so be it. Hell, for that matter, feel free to flaunt the endorsement of Fred Phelps too. Lamps and shoes, right?

Oh here we go. White man keeping the Black man down. How many years and how many times must we apologize before blacks move on? I'm not a racist (before any liberals here say I am). It is time for the black Americans to stop whining and complaining on how their granddad was treated, or what happened to them in school. Playing the race card will not further an agenda. When it was a valid issue, it did. Now its just another way for someone to make something out of nothing.

If Obama truly thinks that the whites in this nation are mostly racist, then he is NOT ready for the Presidency. He is to represent ALL of the United States, not just the black ones. I expect a white man to do the same. If Obama believes that whitey is keeping blacks down, then it proves that he will not represent the majority (not pertaining to race, but to the electorate) of this nation (should he be the President).

Your apathy to THEIR American history means two things: jack and shit. While you may not agree with Wright the FACT remains that his outlook is the DIRECT result of an America that is barely 30 outside of water hoses and attack dogs. And im being very generous by including the early 90s. Compared to "catholocism is the whore of babylon" hagee, I'd say at least Wright is reacting to tangible history rather than mythology du jour. Which, again, if YOU don't agree then don't vote for him. It really is as simple as that.

and, just so you know, America still does have a streak of racism even if we've been able to stomach interracial unions in our movies. We all know that there will be white people that vote for Obama because they have moved beyojnd their archie bunker ancestors.. But, so too do we know that plenty of whites will not vote for him for the same reason your boohoo ancestors would choose to pass. You are no one to tell any ethnic minority to get over their historic, relevant struggle.

So, dare I ask, do you apply the same standard to israel's 2k year old claim to burning bush real estate or is it just your political opponents that get, uh, lashed with that whip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back