LOL - Can't buy a pet in San Fransisco

A true non profit has an all volunteer staff.

Um no that would be a charity. All most all non profits pay their staff. The are simply providing a service to the people at cost or for free and not making a profit over all, that does not mean they can't and don't pay their staff. My god man if non profits could not pay a staff, there would be a hell of a lot less of them. There are not enough people who can afford to work for free to keep em all going. Plus as others said. Part of the service the non profit is providing is some jobs for the community. Fucking paid jobs lol.

The SPCA is a non profit organization, that does not mean it does not make a profit, it just means that the profits it makes do not go to owners or stockholders. It makes money off of those dogs and cats, and still gets donations from saps like you that think they are loosing money.

Can you proove what you claim?

Which part? That non profits make a profit? Just go to Goodwill and chack out their thrift store.

Goodwill gives away all its profits. That is why it is called goodwill lol. They get their stock for free, sell it for cheap, and use any money left over after paying overhead and staff to help battered women and homeless people. By providing shelters.

ConHog said:
I have no problem with businesses being regulated. I have a HUGE problem with businesses being outlawed.

They are regulated; they just ignore the regulations. What else is new. Check out the investigation of Petland sometime.

Maybe if pet stores stopped buying from puppy mills, this wouldn't even be a topic for discussion.

Buying A Puppy : The Humane Society of the United States

In 1979, I bought a Cocker Spaniel puppy from a pet store at a mall because he was so adorable and spaniels had been my family's choice of dog for many years. He was all ears, cute and wiggly, of course. The store gave me a piece of paper saying he had had all his puppy shots and came from good, healthy stock so I shouldn't worry about any genetic problem. I'd had the dog for only 3 months when one of his hips slipped out of its socket (dysplasia), which IS a genetic problem. Of course the pet store said they would "replace" him at no charge (like you'd "replace" a pet rock). I wound up paying $500 for the operation, but the dog never walked correctly from then on. He finally developed arthritis in both hips so bad that he had to be carried, which is when I had to have him put down.

Here in NM the pet stores have not sold dogs and cats for several years. Instead many of them have adoption clinics a few times a month,where different organizations bring in pets that need good homes. The pet stores are still free to sell other animals,such as birds,turtles,gerbils and mice etc. If folks here want certain breeds (instead of the typlical multi breed dogs in shelters),they are usually bought from outside individuals, but many of these types of places do continue to be shut down due to poor care etc..

I like the idea of adoptions clinics better than outlawing pet shops from selling certain animals all together though.

That's the way they do around here to, one day a week they have kittens at our local pet store and one day a week they have dogs. All from shelters.

So the big draw to the store is still the animals themselves, correct? Don't tell me that pet stores have swarms of people crowding their aisles just to buy pet food and toys. The only reason most people just drop by a pet store is to look at the animals. Mine was on display in the window along with about 6 others. Except for the people ooohing and ahhing over the puppies, the aisles were bare.

Every city has that right, its called self governance.

Would you be ok with a city telling it's citizens that they MUST buy a dog?

Oh don't be silly. This is a no-brainer. If you want a pet, go to a registered breeder or the Humane Society. Or check the classifieds for people who have loved and cared for an animal they can no longer keep. The ones "sold" in pet stores are for profit and are treated just like any other commodity. Shitty. Then after their "sell-by" date, these pets are destroyed, just like an expired package of hamburger.

Dear idiot: a fee= charges. Charges = monetary translation. Monetary transaction = bought and sold.

The SPCA is not handing you a pet for free.

You are missing one word, profit.

The majority of the adoption fee is spaying and nuetering costs.

They are non profit silly

They are still selling the animals. It makes no difference if its a Non profit or not.

What if I don't want to spay or neuter my animal? What if i don't want THEM to do the job but my own vet?

What if I do not want a previously owned animal that has socialization problems and or training problems? What if I want a specific type/breed of animal?

Would you please stop arguing the adoption point? If a person doesn't have the money, the fee is waived. Most people do cough it up, though, because they WANT the pet to be free of disease and neutered or spayed.

I am not a peta member.

I just love animals and dont think of them as a product like you do.

Neither do I. But I don't think the "issue" here has anything at all to do with pets. It's the same ol' bitching and moaning over any form of government "regulating" what people can do. The same noise constantly coming from the far right. Can you imagine the state of the union if 302 million people (and their pets) were all allowed to run amok and do whatever they goddamned pleased? Spare me from that horror.

Here in NM the pet stores have not sold dogs and cats for several years. Instead many of them have adoption clinics a few times a month,where different organizations bring in pets that need good homes. The pet stores are still free to sell other animals,such as birds,turtles,gerbils and mice etc. If folks here want certain breeds (instead of the typlical multi breed dogs in shelters),they are usually bought from outside individuals, but many of these types of places do continue to be shut down due to poor care etc..

I like the idea of adoptions clinics better than outlawing pet shops from selling certain animals all together though.

That's the way they do around here to, one day a week they have kittens at our local pet store and one day a week they have dogs. All from shelters.

So the big draw to the store is still the animals themselves, correct? Don't tell me that pet stores have swarms of people crowding their aisles just to buy pet food and toys. The only reason most people just drop by a pet store is to look at the animals. Mine was on display in the window along with about 6 others. Except for the people ooohing and ahhing over the puppies, the aisles were bare.

Not to oooh and ahh over the puppy mill dogs ...no. They haven't sold them in pet stores around here for years. I would suspect the big draw is all of the supplies including the small animals they do sell (which are also used as food for other pets, such as snakes). I guess the big draw could be the actual adoption clinic that has been advertized in some cases. So, are pet stores supposed to not support outside adoption agencies too,because people might like to look at puppies and kittens? I don't understand your argument here.

Last edited:
I am not a peta member.

Looks to me as if the SF SPCA thinks pets are a product

Adopting a Cat

* Vintage cat (over 8 years): $60
* Adult cat (6 months to 8 years): $80
* Kitten (under 6 months): $150 for one; $250 for two

See our Cat-a-Palooza page for special summer rates in July.
Adopting a Dog

* Senior dog (7 years or older): $80
* Adult dog (6 months to 7 years): $225
* Young dog (under 6 months): $300
* San Francisco residents pay an additional $15 for the Dog License Fee

Adoption Fees | SF/SPCA

That sure doesn't look like free to me. The SPCA also PROFILES potential pet owner and DECIDES of you are a worthy pet owner.

The SF SPCA are PETA puppets and if you don't measure up to PETA, guess what, you don't get a pet.

Ferchrissakes, yer like a dog with a bone. Pun intended.

I am not a peta member.

Product of nature maybe. I think animals are good for food, clothing and companionship. Wanna come deer hunting with me this fall? :)

I think TM is like one of my nephews I had out from CA last summer. We were eating steaks on the back porch and he looked out and asked "uncle aaron, which one of those cows did this steak come from" and of course I told him " well buddy we had to kill the cow (steer actually) to get these steaks" he looked at me and said "yuck from now on I'm only eating hamburger from the grocery store" ROFL

he was 7 by the way, so excusable from a child raised in alameda california.

He should meet my nephew who doesn't understand why we can't just grow french fries.

Do you understand that San Francisco has already outlawed puppy mills, and that this law would have outlawed selling anything but fish, which are also bred for money. In fact, I never heard about anyone worrying about goldfish getting flushed down the toilets, something I am sure happens at a greater rate than hamsters getting dropped at the shelter because they are loud. This law was so ridiculous and indefensible that even San Francisco rose up in arms against it.

One year my daughter wanted goldfish for her birthday. When she got her B-day money we went to Petsmart...she picked out rocks,a fish bowl etc. Then we went to the section where they have the goldfish for 20 cents (mostly feeder fish). They refused to sell her any (no exceptions), because she was going to put them in a bowl instead of a tank and they said they wouldn't last long in that environment. I even asked why it mattered if they were feeder fish and were going to be fed to other animals. At any rate we left without fish... we then went to a locally owned pet shop and they sold her two (and all the gear). We still have them today,and they are still going strong. :)

Funny story. We're getting ready to bring home our newest family member ourselves. It's a baby bald python. We have a 55 gallon tank for her to start out in and I can't wait to feed her!!! I'll be posting pictures once we get her home and nestled in. My wife and I had one before, and now that the greiving process is over, we can't wait to bring another one into our family. I'm sure our cats will be thrilled! :lol:

Sure. And my lioness just gave birth to three cubs in my living room. We feed her people named Jeremy.

Not to oooh and ahh over the puppy mill dogs ...no. They haven't sold them in pet stores around here for years. I would suspect the big draw is all of the supplies including the small animals they do sell (which are also used as food for other pets, such as snakes). I guess the big draw could be the actual adoption clinic that has been advertized in some cases. So, are pet stores supposed to not support outside adoption agencies too,because people might like to look at puppies and kittens? I don't understand your argument here.

I admit to bias because of my personal experience, plus I saw the documentary detailing the investigation of Petland. Maybe smaller pet stores privately owned rather than franchises are more humane. I certainly hope so.

I admit to bias because of my personal experience, plus I saw the documentary detailing the investigation of Petland. Maybe smaller pet stores privately owned rather than franchises are more humane. I certainly hope so.

I think a lot of pet stores,including the big chains are getting a bad rap in this case. I do not know of one pet store that sells puppy mill dogs or even kittens that were bred for profit any longer (at least in NM). Some may have information they provide to customers about trust worthy dog breeders and such though.

ConHog said:
I have no problem with businesses being regulated. I have a HUGE problem with businesses being outlawed.

They are regulated; they just ignore the regulations. What else is new. Check out the investigation of Petland sometime.

Agreed, which is why I say enforce the damn laws we have, don't outlaw shit. Same thing they try with guns.

Actually, the one in Branson that we go to is pretty busy . Besides the puppies and kitties, they have puppy training on site , they do grooming and such. There's always dogs and such wandering around. we're there 3 times a week, it's one of the few things my daughter truly gets excited about. I'm pretty sure the next time we go I'm going to have no choice but to adopt a cat. Well that or sleep in the spare bedroom for awhile.

You are missing one word, profit.

The majority of the adoption fee is spaying and nuetering costs.

They are non profit silly

They are still selling the animals. It makes no difference if its a Non profit or not.

What if I don't want to spay or neuter my animal? What if i don't want THEM to do the job but my own vet?

What if I do not want a previously owned animal that has socialization problems and or training problems? What if I want a specific type/breed of animal?

Would you please stop arguing the adoption point? If a person doesn't have the money, the fee is waived. Most people do cough it up, though, because they WANT the pet to be free of disease and neutered or spayed.

I guess that depends on which branch of the SPCA you are talking about. Some of them have very strict policies in the belief, rightly in my opinion, that if you cannot pay 50 bucks to adopt an animal then you might have a hard time feeding it.

I guess that depends on which branch of the SPCA you are talking about. Some of them have very strict policies in the belief, rightly in my opinion, that if you cannot pay 50 bucks to adopt an animal then you might have a hard time feeding it.

I've never heard of a fee being waived, and like you say they shouldn't be. if you can't afford the $50 in the first place, you probably can't afford to feed it.

Do you live in SF? The fee is never waived and they certainly would NOT waive the fee for me. I have a private vet i do not need to pay them for services i will not avail myself of. I pay for shots and neutering on my own.

I am not a peta member.

Looks to me as if the SF SPCA thinks pets are a product

Adopting a Cat

* Vintage cat (over 8 years): $60
* Adult cat (6 months to 8 years): $80
* Kitten (under 6 months): $150 for one; $250 for two

See our Cat-a-Palooza page for special summer rates in July.
Adopting a Dog

* Senior dog (7 years or older): $80
* Adult dog (6 months to 7 years): $225
* Young dog (under 6 months): $300
* San Francisco residents pay an additional $15 for the Dog License Fee

Adoption Fees | SF/SPCA

That sure doesn't look like free to me. The SPCA also PROFILES potential pet owner and DECIDES of you are a worthy pet owner.

The SF SPCA are PETA puppets and if you don't measure up to PETA, guess what, you don't get a pet.

Ferchrissakes, yer like a dog with a bone. Pun intended.

Again do you live in SF? Try and adopt a pet from them and say your going to have the ears clipped and the tail docked on a dog or that you want to have a cat declawed. Their PETA views profile you out of the running of "an good pet owner" The bottom line is they will not adopt a pet to you.

Forum List

Back