LOL - Can't buy a pet in San Fransisco

Do you understand that San Francisco has already outlawed puppy mills, and that this law would have outlawed selling anything but fish, which are also bred for money. In fact, I never heard about anyone worrying about goldfish getting flushed down the toilets, something I am sure happens at a greater rate than hamsters getting dropped at the shelter because they are loud. This law was so ridiculous and indefensible that even San Francisco rose up in arms against it.

One year my daughter wanted goldfish for her birthday. When she got her B-day money we went to Petsmart...she picked out rocks,a fish bowl etc. Then we went to the section where they have the goldfish for 20 cents (mostly feeder fish). They refused to sell her any (no exceptions), because she was going to put them in a bowl instead of a tank and they said they wouldn't last long in that environment. I even asked why it mattered if they were feeder fish and were going to be fed to other animals. At any rate we left without fish... we then went to a locally owned pet shop and they sold her two (and all the gear). We still have them today,and they are still going strong. :)

Funny story. We're getting ready to bring home our newest family member ourselves. It's a baby bald python. We have a 55 gallon tank for her to start out in and I can't wait to feed her!!! I'll be posting pictures once we get her home and nestled in. My wife and I had one before, and now that the greiving process is over, we can't wait to bring another one into our family. I'm sure our cats will be thrilled! :lol:

Yeah...brave wife....I hate snakes *shudder*. I have heard they are easy to take care of though, and they are nocturnal. They are also great escape artists...so yes, you'd better keep an eye on the kitties. ;)

Last edited:
Dear idiot: a fee= charges. Charges = monetary translation. Monetary transaction = bought and sold.

The SPCA is not handing you a pet for free.

You are missing one word, profit.

The majority of the adoption fee is spaying and nuetering costs.

They are non profit silly

The SPCA is a non profit organization, that does not mean it does not make a profit, it just means that the profits it makes do not go to owners or stockholders. It makes money off of those dogs and cats, and still gets donations from saps like you that think they are loosing money.

Can you proove what you claim?

One year my daughter wanted goldfish for her birthday. When she got her B-day money we went to Petsmart...she picked out rocks,a fish bowl etc. Then we went to the section where they have the goldfish for 20 cents (mostly feeder fish). They refused to sell her any (no exceptions), because she was going to put them in a bowl instead of a tank and they said they wouldn't last long in that environment. I even asked why it mattered if they were feeder fish and were going to be fed to other animals. At any rate we left without fish... we then went to a locally owned pet shop and they sold her two (and all the gear). We still have them today,and they are still going strong. :)

Funny story. We're getting ready to bring home our newest family member ourselves. It's a baby bald python. We have a 55 gallon tank for her to start out in and I can't wait to feed her!!! I'll be posting pictures once we get her home and nestled in. My wife and I had one before, and now that the greiving process is over, we can't wait to bring another one into our family. I'm sure our cats will be thrilled! :lol:

Yeah...brave wife....I hate snakes *shudder*. I have heard they are easy to take care of though, and they are nocturnal. They are also great escape artists...so yes, you'd better keep an eye on the kitties. ;)

My wife actually introduced me to having a pet snake. She's had a few..... brave me!..... :lol: :scared1:

My wife actually introduced me to having a pet snake. She's had a few..... brave me!..... :lol: :scared1:

Man you are crazy making that kinda statement here.

The SPCA is a non profit organization, that does not mean it does not make a profit, it just means that the profits it makes do not go to owners or stockholders. It makes money off of those dogs and cats, and still gets donations from saps like you that think they are loosing money.

So long as they are paying employees its a money making business. A true non profit has an all volunteer staff.

Do you understand the idea that you can pay people huge amounts and still call yourself "non profit"?

Sound like a volunteer not for "profit" job to you?

SALARY AND BENEFITS
The starting salary for this position depends on the length and breadth of experience. The position is eligible for full benefits package including:
* Vacation and holiday pay, paid sick time
* Medical, dental & vision insurance
* Life insurance, long-term disability
* Tax-deferred retirement plan
* Pre-tax commute expense deductions
* Discounted veterinary care, employee discount on retail, pet supplies, and dog training classes

SAN FRANCISCO SPCA

And please don't forget that the catholic church is classified as a "non profit"

Last edited:
no hiring people does not make you a profit organization.

I know you hate to see people get jobs but hiring people is good for the community and adds to the tax coffers.

I know you hate to see people get jobs but hiring people is good for the community and adds to the tax coffers.

It also makes them a FOR profit. = charging for animals to MAKE money.

So back to the question TM if they can charge money for pets why cant a private shop?

That's not true at all, I would love to see you get a job, I hope your interview with McDonalds works out next week.

I've got feral dogs if anyone wants to come and get them, but good luck in taming them. We've been shooting them feverishly for 3 years now, and every time we think we've got them, another litter pops up. No idea where they're coming from, but they're far worse than the coyotes. We have a rule on our land that no matter what you're hunting, if you see a dog or coyote, you must shoot it. Never fails when you're watching a big buck, a dog or coyote will come bounding through the trees and once you fire on the dog, the buck is long gone :(

:lol: Just move on Truthy.. your posts in this thread are like Richard Simmons holding his breath after a Chuck Norris fart*.

*[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1sS1TmXF38&feature=related]YouTube - Nuclear Bomb[/ame]

So long as they are paying employees its a money making business. A true non profit has an all volunteer staff.

Do you understand the idea that you can pay people huge amounts and still call yourself "non profit"?

SALARY AND BENEFITS
The starting salary for this position depends on the length and breadth of experience. The position is eligible for full benefits package including:
* Discounted veterinary care, employee discount on retail, pet supplies, and dog training classes

SAN FRANCISCO SPCA

And please don't forget that the catholic church is classified as a "non profit"

Psst I actually agree with you here, that hurt to admit, but you're wrong about non profits, they can and do have paid staffs, even staffs with huge salaries and bennies.

BUT

all non profit really means is that instead of paying dividends to owners or shareholders an organization uses their PROFITS to further their goals; so ultimately TM is wrong, again, non profit does NOT mean they are not making money. The Boy Scouts of America is a great example of this. They are a non profit organization, but their income last year was $133,736,000 (isnt that shocking?) care to guess how much their expenses were by the way? $137,399,000

Charity Review of Boy Scouts of America

SALARY AND BENEFITS

SAN FRANCISCO SPCA

Psst I actually agree with you here, that hurt to admit, but you're wrong about non profits, they can and do have paid staffs, even staffs with huge salaries and bennies.

BUT

all non profit really means is that instead of paying dividends to owners or shareholders an organization uses their PROFITS to further their goals; so ultimately TM is wrong, again, non profit does NOT mean they are not making money. The Boy Scouts of America is a great example of this. They are a non profit organization, but their income last year was $133,736,000 (isnt that shocking?) care to guess how much their expenses were by the way? $137,399,000

Charity Review of Boy Scouts of America

LOL i never said that non profits don't have non paid staff. yeah imagine that we agree. :lol: My point is calling yourself a "non profit" is nothing more the a tax dodge. Ive volunteered for some huge "non profits" so i know all about the HUGE salaries. The SF SPCA is all about money. TM seems to think that the SPCA isn't in this as a money making BUSINESS of which they are trying to monopolize.

Which part? That non profits make a profit? Just go to Goodwill and chack out their thrift store.

Forum List

Back