LOL - Can't buy a pet in San Fransisco

Every city has that right, its called self governance.

Would you be ok with a city telling it's citizens that they MUST buy a dog?

why would the city do that?

This law is in place to try and stop the cost to the city of unwanted animals.

They can also tell resturants what they can and con not sell.

Its been that way forever you fool.

You just want to pretend government is evil.

One thing you forgot is the right wants locals to have control over their lives remember?

Again, if the SPCA can sell dogs and cats, why not a private shop? The SPCA is within city limits and they charge for the "adoption" Yes it is a small fee but it is a charge none the less.

Last edited:
I guess you idiots have never looked into the breeding for money of animals.

Do you understand that San Francisco has already outlawed puppy mills, and that this law would have outlawed selling anything but fish, which are also bred for money. In fact, I never heard about anyone worrying about goldfish getting flushed down the toilets, something I am sure happens at a greater rate than hamsters getting dropped at the shelter because they are loud. This law was so ridiculous and indefensible that even San Francisco rose up in arms against it.

One thing you forgot is the right wants locals to have control over their lives remember?

Really? So the government can tell a restaurant what may or not be on their menus? Well, I know you think that way, but it's not true.

Yes, I DO believe too much government is an evil thing.

Glad to see you care so much about a cities right to self governance. Wanna join me in Fremont NE for a rally supporting their tough new immigration law? :lol: :slap:

Dear idiot , those are adoption fees

Dear idiot: a fee= charges. Charges = monetary translation. Monetary transaction = bought and sold.

The SPCA is not handing you a pet for free.

You are missing one word, profit.

The majority of the adoption fee is spaying and nuetering costs.

They are non profit silly

They are still selling the animals. It makes no difference if its a Non profit or not.

What if I don't want to spay or neuter my animal? What if i don't want THEM to do the job but my own vet?

What if I do not want a previously owned animal that has socialization problems and or training problems? What if I want a specific type/breed of animal?

Last edited:
I am not a peta member.

I just love animals and dont think of them as a product like you do.

I am not a peta member.

Looks to me as if the SF SPCA thinks pets are a product

Adopting a Cat

* Vintage cat (over 8 years): $60
* Adult cat (6 months to 8 years): $80
* Kitten (under 6 months): $150 for one; $250 for two

See our Cat-a-Palooza page for special summer rates in July.
Adopting a Dog

* Senior dog (7 years or older): $80
* Adult dog (6 months to 7 years): $225
* Young dog (under 6 months): $300
* San Francisco residents pay an additional $15 for the Dog License Fee

Adoption Fees | SF/SPCA

That sure doesn't look like free to me. The SPCA also PROFILES potential pet owner and DECIDES of you are a worthy pet owner.

The SF SPCA are PETA puppets and if you don't measure up to PETA, guess what, you don't get a pet.

I am not a peta member.

Product of nature maybe. I think animals are good for food, clothing and companionship. Wanna come deer hunting with me this fall? :)

I am not a peta member.

Product of nature maybe. I think animals are good for food, clothing and companionship. Wanna come deer hunting with me this fall? :)

I think TM is like one of my nephews I had out from CA last summer. We were eating steaks on the back porch and he looked out and asked "uncle aaron, which one of those cows did this steak come from" and of course I told him " well buddy we had to kill the cow (steer actually) to get these steaks" he looked at me and said "yuck from now on I'm only eating hamburger from the grocery store" ROFL

he was 7 by the way, so excusable from a child raised in alameda california.

Do you understand that San Francisco has already outlawed puppy mills, and that this law would have outlawed selling anything but fish, which are also bred for money. In fact, I never heard about anyone worrying about goldfish getting flushed down the toilets, something I am sure happens at a greater rate than hamsters getting dropped at the shelter because they are loud. This law was so ridiculous and indefensible that even San Francisco rose up in arms against it.

One year my daughter wanted goldfish for her birthday. When she got her B-day money we went to Petsmart...she picked out rocks,a fish bowl etc. Then we went to the section where they have the goldfish for 20 cents (mostly feeder fish). They refused to sell her any (no exceptions), because she was going to put them in a bowl instead of a tank and they said they wouldn't last long in that environment. I even asked why it mattered if they were feeder fish and were going to be fed to other animals. At any rate we left without fish... we then went to a locally owned pet shop and they sold her two (and all the gear). We still have them today,and they are still going strong. :)

Last edited:

One year my daughter wanted goldfish for her birthday. When she got her B-day money we went to Petsmart...she picked out rocks,a fish bowl etc. Then we went to the section where they have the goldfish for 20 cents (mostly feeder fish). They refused to sell her any (no exceptions), because she was going to put them in a bowl instead of a tank and they said they wouldn't last long in that environment. I even asked why it mattered if they were feeder fish and were going to be fed to other animals. At any rate we left without fish... we then went to a locally owned pet shop and they sold her two (and all the gear). We still have them today,and they are still going strong. :)

Funny story. We're getting ready to bring home our newest family member ourselves. It's a baby bald python. We have a 55 gallon tank for her to start out in and I can't wait to feed her!!! I'll be posting pictures once we get her home and nestled in. My wife and I had one before, and now that the greiving process is over, we can't wait to bring another one into our family. I'm sure our cats will be thrilled! :lol:

Last edited:

Funny story. We're getting ready to bring home our newest family member ourselves. It's a baby bald python. We have a 55 gallon tank for her to start out in and I can't wait to feed her!!! I'll be posting pictures once we get her home and nestled in. My wife and I had one before, and now that the greiving process is over, we can't wait to bring another one into our family. I'm sure our cats will be thrilled! :lol:

Now, owning a god damned snake should be illegal. :cuckoo:

Dear idiot , those are adoption fees

Dear idiot: a fee= charges. Charges = monetary translation. Monetary transaction = bought and sold.

The SPCA is not handing you a pet for free.

You are missing one word, profit.

The majority of the adoption fee is spaying and nuetering costs.

They are non profit silly

The SPCA is a non profit organization, that does not mean it does not make a profit, it just means that the profits it makes do not go to owners or stockholders. It makes money off of those dogs and cats, and still gets donations from saps like you that think they are loosing money.

Now, owning a god damned snake should be illegal. :cuckoo:

:lol:
Nahh.. Bald Pythons don't really get that big and they are easy to take care of. It's the best when you are holding them and they start "smelling" you with their tongue. Now that's love!!!! :lol:

Forum List

Back