Logic Destroys Obama's Roanoke Declaration

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I believe that this would be an appropriate place to introduce a little exercise in logic....

1. In his Roanoke Moment, President Obama said the following:
"If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...nt-build-that/

2. I believe that all will agree that the import, the meaning of the statement is that every successful business owes that
success to everyone else in America, without whom there would not have been the infrastructure, nor the milieu to allow that
success.

3. Therefore, we all deserve a piece of the profits of those successful businesses....via taxes.

Did I provide the essence of the statement?
Good.

4. Now...watch carefully:
"Research by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that nearly six in ten businesses shut down within the first four years of operation."
The Top 10 Reasons Startups Fail

Notice, we are out of the realm of conjecture here, and have entered a more factual area.
A sixty percent failure rate....

5. Here comes the logic that goes pretty far to defeat the essence of Obama's Roanoke Declaration:

If all of us get to take part in the profits of the successful businesses,...

...then, shouldn't all of us, i.e., the government fisc, be required to pay for the losses in resources, time,
investments, lost opportunities.....

....of the majority of business...the failures?

6. So...here is Obama's next speech:

"If you’ve got a failed business. you didn’t make that happen. Somebody else made that happen.
So, we'll divide up all of your losses among the citizens of this great nation.

I believe when you spread the losses...it's good for everybody."

So...when do you think we'll hear that speech?

Last edited:
taxes help support the ability for many to operate a business.

And your post relates to the following....how?

"Research by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that nearly six in ten businesses shut down within the first four years of operation."
The Top 10 Reasons Startups Fail

Notice, we are out of the realm of conjecture here, and have entered a more factual area.
A sixty percent failure rate...."

Here's what he said (from here):
whitehouse.gov said:
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
...all will agree that the import, the meaning of the statement is that every successful business owes that success to everyone else...
That may be what we all understood but the next day he announced that wasn't what he meant; he told everyone the word "that" in "you didn't build that" was not referring to the "business" but rather to the "roads and bridges". So what he now says he meant to say was--
whitehouse.gov said:
...If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build roads and bridges. Somebody else made roads and bridges happen...
--which is even goofier. He'll probably change it again when he finds out that virtually all roads and bridges are build by private construction businesses.

I believe that this would be an appropriate place to introduce a little exercise in logic....

"If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

You left off the antecedent of "that". A pronoun is almost meaningless without its antecedent.

I left off nothing....I quoted the exact sentence as he stated it...check it with the source as I provided the link.

While the fraud in the people's house tried to walk back the quote, any sentient individual knows exactly what was said, and what was meant.

The fact that he tried the bogus "that" and roads, etc, means that he knows exactly how disastrous the slip is to his chances for re-election.

You left off the antecedent of "that". A pronoun is almost meaningless without its antecedent.

I left off nothing....I quoted the exact sentence as he stated it...check it with the source as I provided the link.

While the fraud in the people's house tried to walk back the quote, any sentient individual knows exactly what was said, and what was meant.

The antecedent of "that" isn't in the same sentence. That's how you're able to quote the sentence exactly but still leave off the antecedent.

The fact that he tried the bogus "that" and roads, etc, means that he knows exactly how disastrous the slip is to his chances for re-election.

That is what it means. Its in the sentence(s) immediately preceding the one you quoted.

whitehouse.gov said:
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
...all will agree that the import, the meaning of the statement is that every successful business owes that success to everyone else...
That may be what we all understood but the next day he announced that wasn't what he meant; he told everyone the word "that" in "you didn't build that" was not referring to the "business" but rather to the "roads and bridges". So what he now says he meant to say was--
whitehouse.gov said:
...If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build roads and bridges. Somebody else made roads and bridges happen...
--which is even goofier. He'll probably change it again when he finds out that virtually all roads and bridges are build by private construction businesses.

The give-away is right here: "...the next day..."

As usual, in politics, the cover-up in worse than the crime....

I take schadenfreude picturing Michelle, when he got home.....
..."WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY???????"....

Think she rolled up a newspaper and swatted him with it?
Hillary threw lamps....

Karma.

The antecedent of "that" isn't in the same sentence. That's how you're able to quote the sentence exactly but still leave off the antecedent.

That is what it means. Its in the sentence(s) immediately preceding the one you quoted.

I've seen some of the dumb things you've posted.....but even you can't believe the defense of this dolt that you're trying to provide.....

.....can you?

Just tell me you can....I've got my next post ready.

that taxes help alot of people get to where they are going.

60% failed.

The percentages in question are only serendipitous in baseball.

Since we are discussing real lives, people investing their time and efforts, hopes, needs, wishes.....
...your post seems less than momentous.

I've seen some of the dumb things you've posted.....but even you can't believe the defense of this dolt that you're trying to provide.....

.....can you?

Just tell me you can....I've got my next post ready.

There's nothing that needs defending. The antecedent is in the sentence(s) before the one you quoted. I'm sorry you're wrong.

...then, shouldn't all of us, i.e., the government fisc, be required to pay for the losses in resources, time,
investments, lost opportunities.....

....of the majority of business...the failures?

6. So...here is Obama's next speech:

"If you’ve got a failed business. you didn’t make that happen. Somebody else made that happen.
So, we'll divide up all of your losses among the citizens of this great nation.

I believe when you spread the losses...it's good for everybody."

So...when do you think we'll hear that speech?

I thought that was the point of his health care bill:

Because people aren't solving the problems of health care,
and the expenses are greater than the resources to cover it
in other words a "failed business plan" where the costs exceed the income
creating such debts and losses that "health care is a failure"

then it is better for everyone to share the costs by all "paying for insurance"
hoping that will provide enough money paying in to cover "more of the costs"

it is a pyramid scheme to just get more money in,
admitting it still does not provide for all the people needing health care

it is not about solving the problems that are costing so much in health care
it is about making more people buy insurance as mandatory
in hopes of covering up the losses by sharing these costs
even if we are not the ones causing excess expenses

whitehouse.gov said:
whitehouse.gov said:

Fact of the matter is, we did build the roads and bridges. If not for our tax dollars, good luck getting anywhere when it rains.

...The antecedent of "that" isn't in the same sentence. That's how you're able to quote the sentence exactly but still leave off the antecedent...
Please tell me if you really believe that Obama meant:
whitehouse.gov said:
OK, I know Obama said that's what he meant, but let's face it. It's even crazier than the other way. I mean, how can not having a business possibly be necessary in order to build roads and bridges?

whitehouse.gov said:
whitehouse.gov said:

Fact of the matter is, we did build the roads and bridges. If not for our tax dollars, good luck getting anywhere when it rains.
If you do not believe in what was actually said, ie, that business is built on the infrastructure in place (roads, bridges, electrical infrastructure, education, military, police, etc, etc) then you are looking for the libertarian ideal, which does not exist. You are looking at Somalia.
This speech was not about someone else building businesses. If you read it in full, without taking pieces out and trying to modify them slightly to make for a completely different meaning, then there is no controversy. It is simply the truth. The dogma coming from the cons is based on a lie.

...This speech was not about someone else building businesses. If you read it in full, without taking pieces out and trying to modify them slightly to make for a completely different meaning, then there is no controversy. It is simply the truth...
We keep trying to bring up the whole speech -- we even posted the link to the entire speech from whitehouse.gov . The day after the speech Obama announced that wasn't what he meant; he told everyone the word "that" in "you didn't build that" was not referring to the "business" but rather to the "roads and bridges". So what he now says he meant to say was--
whitehouse.gov said:
In the first place, the revision doesn't make any sense. In the second place listen to how he actually said it:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192oEC5TX_Q&feature=related]Obama: If you've been successful you didn't get there on your own - YouTube[/ame]
The Whitehouse.gov doesn't match the actual video and Obama's was clearly saying 'you didn't build a business'.

...The dogma coming from the cons is based on a lie.
OK, if you say so. The thing is that dogma and lies aren't my specialty so I'll leave that stuff to your professional expertise. Meanwhile we can see for ourselves Obama himself saying what he said.

...The antecedent of "that" isn't in the same sentence. That's how you're able to quote the sentence exactly but still leave off the antecedent...
Please tell me if you really believe that Obama meant:
whitehouse.gov said:
OK, I know Obama said that's what he meant, but let's face it. It's even crazier than the other way. I mean, how can not having a business possibly be necessary in order to build roads and bridges?

PLEASE.....refrain from injecting logic into any discussion of Obamanomics.

Thank you.

whitehouse.gov said:
whitehouse.gov said:

I fear the results when we apply your analogy to his version of healthcare....

...talk about 'rain.'

Forum List

Back