logic and good sense come to several counties between 6pm and 6 am

browsing deer

Silver Member
Jul 11, 2015
in the forrest
Oregon has this insane law you can't pump your own gas. Good sense is gradually, oh so gradually is coming to Oregon

"
Starting this week, Oregon drivers in counties with smaller populations will begin pumping their own gas between the hours of 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

KATU-TV reports that the new law affecting counties with a population less than 40,000 people will take effect Friday.

Gov. Kate Brown signed the bill into law in June.

The goal is to make gas accessible overnight in counties where stations can't afford to support 24-hour staffing.

Impacted counties include:

Baker County
Clatsop County
Crook County
Curry County
Gilliam County
Grant County
Harney County
Hood River County
Jefferson County
Lake County
Malheur County
Morrow County
Sherman County
Tillamook County
Union County
Wallowa County

"

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

I have never self-pumped (sheeesh <<< that seems lewd) My hubby is a bit disabled and----would have trouble self-pumping-------I am not driving out to them
hick sticks

6pm to 6am??? Are they not the hours during which the "prophet" Daniel had his
mushroom induced dreams?

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.
BULLDOG Are you sure this is true?

I found at least one source online (Yahoo Answers) saying it's not true:

"As much as I hate the government and especially the Board of Education (really - people existed besides dinosaurs?) this rumor is not true.

1) Books can't be banned. We have this thing called the first amendment
2) The Encyclopedia Britannica is available in many schools in Texas
3) Yes, there is a description of home made beer in there."
The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas 'cuz it contains a recipe for homemade beer. Some people?

BULLDOG Can you confirm this, either way?

Benton County is not included. It should be. 30,000 0f Corvallis' 49,000 residents are students at OSU. Non student residents would have the county under 40,000.

Oregon has this insane law you can't pump your own gas. Good sense is gradually, oh so gradually is coming to Oregon

"
Starting this week, Oregon drivers in counties with smaller populations will begin pumping their own gas between the hours of 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

KATU-TV reports that the new law affecting counties with a population less than 40,000 people will take effect Friday.

The goal is to make gas accessible overnight in counties where stations can't afford to support 24-hour staffing.

Baker County
Clatsop County
Crook County
Curry County
Gilliam County
Grant County
Harney County
Hood River County
Jefferson County
Lake County
Malheur County
Morrow County
Sherman County
Tillamook County
Union County
Wallowa County

"

Interesting, browsing deer
I looked it up, and this regulation (in Oregon and NJ) seems to stem from safety concerns:
Why you can't pump your own gas - Trivia and Fun - BergenCounty.com

I actually stopped a man once who was SMOKING A CIGARETTE at the gas pumps.

Given the carelessness, lack of education and respect for others that is more visible in public these days,
it makes me wonder how we HAVEN'T had more incidents of people blowing up gasoline by lighting up
or dropping a cigarette, not even thinking. It's kind of scary to think of the risk going on, every day.

Just one idiot high on drugs, smoking something and dropping it or hanging a hand out the window,
and gas fumes could ignite.

BULLDOG Are you sure this is true?

I found at least one source online (Yahoo Answers) saying it's not true:

"As much as I hate the government and especially the Board of Education (really - people existed besides dinosaurs?) this rumor is not true.

1) Books can't be banned. We have this thing called the first amendment
2) The Encyclopedia Britannica is available in many schools in Texas
3) Yes, there is a description of home made beer in there."
The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas 'cuz it contains a recipe for homemade beer. Some people?

BULLDOG Can you confirm this, either way?

I haven't done an in depth search on the subject. I only repeated what I read on what I assume is a credible web site. If you have a more credible source, of course I will change my belief.
Dumb Laws in Texas. Crazy Texas Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

"

Baker County
Clatsop County
Crook County
Curry County
Gilliam County
Grant County
Harney County
Hood River County
Jefferson County
Lake County
Malheur County
Morrow County
Sherman County
Tillamook County
Union County
Wallowa County

"

I looked it up, and this regulation (in Oregon and NJ) seems to stem from safety concerns:

Given the carelessness, lack of education and respect for others that is more visible in public these days,
it makes me wonder how we HAVEN'T had more incidents of people blowing up gasoline by lighting up
or dropping a cigarette, not even thinking. It's kind of scary to think of the risk going on, every day.

Just one idiot high on drugs, smoking something and dropping it or hanging a hand out the window,

Having driven through Oregon many times- and enjoyed having service station attendants pump gas for me(really, really easy to get used to), my wife and I always chuckled about what incident made Oregon decide that drivers in Oregon- unlike the rest of the country- could not be trusted to pump their own gas?

Was it a string of accidents involving drivers using lit matches to try to look into their gas tanks to see if it was full?

LOL- I hope Oregon's laws never go away- I just don't want to be there the day one of those crazy Oregon drivers blows up a gas station because they have never learned not to mix matches and gasoline like the rest of us.

"

Baker County
Clatsop County
Crook County
Curry County
Gilliam County
Grant County
Harney County
Hood River County
Jefferson County
Lake County
Malheur County
Morrow County
Sherman County
Tillamook County
Union County
Wallowa County

"

"

Baker County
Clatsop County
Crook County
Curry County
Gilliam County
Grant County
Harney County
Hood River County
Jefferson County
Lake County
Malheur County
Morrow County
Sherman County
Tillamook County
Union County
Wallowa County

"

Having driven through Oregon many times- and enjoyed having service station attendants pump gas for me(really, really easy to get used to), my wife and I always chuckled about what incident made Oregon decide that drivers in Oregon- unlike the rest of the country- could not be trusted to pump their own gas?

Was it a string of accidents involving drivers using lit matches to try to look into their gas tanks to see if it was full?

LOL- I hope Oregon's laws never go away- I just don't want to be there the day one of those crazy Oregon drivers blows up a gas station because they have never learned not to mix matches and gasoline like the rest of us.

Alright, I am going to make you laugh...

Working in Seaside, Oregon one summer I worked at a service station, and pumped gas, but also worked as a night clerk because we were 24 hr service station.

Well my first night I was working I was working with a guy named Dave ( Yes, Dave was there ) and I ask him what was the craziest crap that ever happen during his shift?

He responded nothing ever happen it was so boring.

So I ask him if anyone ever came in acting crazy and stupid, and he responded no. Well about five minutes later a woman came in asking for smokes, and when I told her the price she wanted them for free, and I laughed and told her she had to pay she threw herself on the floor screaming and yelling wanting them for free, and I looked over the counter and kindly told her to either pay or get out, so she paid...

Then a few minutes later I ask Dave if anyone had ever hit those pumps and he said no, and a few minutes later a van speeding directly at the pumps did a crazy turn and missed the pumps and slid right up to the side of them...

I looked at Dave after and was about to ask a question again and he looked at me and told me his gun was in his truck and he was going to shoot me if I ask another question that could come true.

After that night that guy would never work with me again, and declared I was the Devil...

This is a true story and I chuckle when I think about that night because you would scream that it could never happen but it did!!!

I don't think you can pump your own gas in New Jersey either....

"

Baker County
Clatsop County
Crook County
Curry County
Gilliam County
Grant County
Harney County
Hood River County
Jefferson County
Lake County
Malheur County
Morrow County
Sherman County
Tillamook County
Union County
Wallowa County

"

Alright, I am going to make you laugh...

Working in Seaside, Oregon one summer I worked at a service station, and pumped gas, but also worked as a night clerk because we were 24 hr service station.

Well my first night I was working I was working with a guy named Dave ( Yes, Dave was there ) and I ask him what was the craziest crap that ever happen during his shift?

He responded nothing ever happen it was so boring.

So I ask him if anyone ever came in acting crazy and stupid, and he responded no. Well about five minutes later a woman came in asking for smokes, and when I told her the price she wanted them for free, and I laughed and told her she had to pay she threw herself on the floor screaming and yelling wanting them for free, and I looked over the counter and kindly told her to either pay or get out, so she paid...

Then a few minutes later I ask Dave if anyone had ever hit those pumps and he said no, and a few minutes later a van speeding directly at the pumps did a crazy turn and missed the pumps and slid right up to the side of them...

I looked at Dave after and was about to ask a question again and he looked at me and told me his gun was in his truck and he was going to shoot me if I ask another question that could come true.

After that night that guy would never work with me again, and declared I was the Devil...

This is a true story and I chuckle when I think about that night because you would scream that it could never happen but it did!!!
:) Smiles - Bruce_T_Laney
{Reminds me of going to a Baptist Halloween party. My friend warns me: don't bring up reincarnation, past life karma, any of that Buddhist stuff. Not here. And the first conversation we get into, one of his church buddies from Bible study is lamenting: he went to a workshop on past life regression. Everyone else got some kind of reading, but he came up empty. Nothing at all. So he felt left out. My friend said never mind, don't say it!}

I have never self-pumped (sheeesh <<< that seems lewd) My hubby is a bit disabled and----would have trouble self-pumping-------I am not driving out to them
hick sticks

If you can use a garden hose.....

yeah? ok well----I never tried-----I have WATERED THE ROSE BUSHES in my youth------but have never pumped gas--------I will not elaborate on my ACQUIRED
DISABILITY-------yes---in my youth I would have easily learned-----but now I am not PHYSICALLY able to get a driver's license-----hubby can----but ad disabled specially fitted vehicle--------leave us alone you BIGOT, WE ARE DOING THE BEST WE CAN--------happy holidays

I should add----that as a kid------I did check my bike tires and SOUPED them up
at the local gas station ------air pump I did it-------long ago-------

"

Baker County
Clatsop County
Crook County
Curry County
Gilliam County
Grant County
Harney County
Hood River County
Jefferson County
Lake County
Malheur County
Morrow County
Sherman County
Tillamook County
Union County
Wallowa County

"
Common sense is when you can do as you like, and most would like to have Ethyl to pump

Why I worked as a service station attendant in the mid 1970's.. We pumped your gas, checked your fluids, tire pressure, and hand washed cars...

Oregon is gorgeous but once the people there have done their environmental duty they tend to go brain dead. We traveled there this summer and the gas station scene sort of summed it all up. I pulled in and jumped out to start pumping and couldn't get the pump to work. Guy comes by and says he has to pump it. He gets done and I try to give him a tip. He said he couldn't take it. I said man I am not going to tell here take it. He would not but the guy at the small gas station did and said thank you.

Forum List

Back