Logan's Run is on TCM

HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
One of the greatest movies ever. Sanctuary was being able to watch movies like this.
Hate the 70's, but 70's had some great
thought provoking movies like this and Planet of the Apes.

Other great films in that era:
THE WANDERERS, The Warriors,
Pelham 123, Bronson's Death Wish Series,
The Omen, Woody Allen's "Sleeper",
The Bad News Bears, Animal House,
A Clockwork Orange, The Exorcist,
One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest,
Paper Moon, Carrie, Jaws, Rocky etc...

One of the greatest movies ever. Sanctuary was being able to watch movies like this.
Hate the 70's, but 70's had some great
thought provoking movies like this and Planet of the Apes.
Not wanting to get technical but, the original Planet of the Apes was released in 1968.
Regarding Logan's Run, yes, that is one I always enjoyed, probably because of the utopian clap-trap and its ultimate stifling of mankind, with the ultimate rejection of the same. And yes, I did watch it today.

Logan's Run shows a left wing Utopia.....

Except in today's reality they only got rid of old people in the economy, by making the savings rates and debt investments so low that they threw our senior citizens and young retirees under the bus and removed their spending power and ability to participate. Our Sluggish economy is helped by making our elderly population seemingly in suspended animation.
And jobs for the youth stolen by those retirees needing to work again or the older crowd continuing to work longer.

I remember watching Logan's Run several decades ago, thinking that one day our planet will have more people on it than it can handle. And steps would have to be taken to reduce the population.

There has always been a purging process of the more violent, greater chance criminal element, less skilled, less progressed, & lower classes.
Nobody dares to talk about it least we upset those unsuspected drawn into that process without realizing what the underlining uses are.

Logan's Run is also about how human beings, when in a protected class, find it easy to look down on others. Logan only gets an epiphany when he personally gets involved with one of the 'lower class' and his eyes are opened to the oppression of the society.

Great movie in many many ways. You have to love the scene when they first meet the old man and ask what the cracks are in his face and if they hurt.

Not to me, this movie has always been about how strong the survival instincts are. In this movie, they are brainwashed from birth that they will be "renewed" on their 30th birthday. There has been some kind of global disaster where they all live in a dome and all their needs are provided for.

It was primarily filmed inside a Texas mall, and there were characters with numbers in their names, ahead of its time. The old man towards the end of the movie was in the ruins of the Capitol.

Forum List

Back