Local Governments and the Economic Recovery

antagon

The Man
Dec 6, 2009
In our current economic climate, everyone is looking to Washington for solutions to the struggles in our economy, but on a recent business trip to Salt Lake City, I was disturbed by the wasted economic potential which the local government is denying businesses in the area.

Salt Lake is a conservative town compared to Las Vegas; where isn't? But the fact that businesses are made to close down so dramatically early begs the question of how the local government up there could stand by and deny businesses the opportunity to conduct more business and in the process make better use of their property and the local labor market. Down in Las Vegas, a corner store covers more shifts, hiring more workers and better capitalizing on their monthly rent. With the opportunity to run gambling concessions and sell liquor at any time (not availed in Salt Lake), the benefits and mere survivability of these hard times is better insured for Vegas retailers.

I don't mean to pick on Salt Lake or imply that the conservative Mormon-influenced government up there needs to let gambling permits, but I think our local governments can and should do more to free the hands of America's businesses and get the country back to work - at least on a temporary 'stimulus' basis.

Forum List

Back