local diseases

howtoknow

Rookie
Jul 8, 2004
In china there are some local diseases , traceable of the soil and groundwater . for example, in the areas of west south of china, around the yunnan province, guizhou province, because the high fluorin in the soil, many people have the disease in skeleton and teeth, some areas in the north of china, there are keshan disease(heart muscle disease), Kashin-Beck disease (disease in skeleton), hypothyroid traceable of the lacking of iodine.
are there any local diseases traceable of soil or groundwater in America, Europe , Mideast or other regions?

howtoknow said:
In china there are some local diseases , traceable of the soil and groundwater . for example, in the areas of west south of china, around the yunnan province, guizhou province, because the high fluorin in the soil, many people have the disease in skeleton and teeth, some areas in the north of china, there are keshan disease(heart muscle disease), Kashin-Beck disease (disease in skeleton), hypothyroid traceable of the lacking of iodine.
are there any local diseases traceable of soil or groundwater in America, Europe , Mideast or other regions?

As a matter of fact, in my hometown, Endicott New York, and in a nearby city Binghamton, we've had a lot of problems with people's health due to ground water contamination.

The cause of the health problems here in Endicott has been traced to a chemical spill from the local IBM plant. The spill occured sometime in the late 1970s, but the true extent of it was not discovered until a few years ago. One solution has been to place vents in the basements of homes of people who live in the affected areas.

IBM has also been brought to court by our town because of the spill related health issues some people have.

In nearby Binghamton, the source of the ground water contamination may be an old military depot that was used to store ores of different kinds during the 1940s to 1960s. Somehow the ore may have leeched its way into the local ground water. The theory is the ore may be the cause of a higher than normal rate of leukemia in that area. However, the results of several studies are not yet conclusive.

This is a link to a page covering groundwater issues in Endicott.

http://www.pressconnects.com/special/endicottspill/

by statistics, in the areas of west south of china, only in guizhou province, there are 50 million (50000000) sufferers because the high fluorin in the soil, there were millions people sufferers from keshan disease(heart muscle disease), Kashin-Beck disease (disease in skeleton), hypothyroid traceable of the lacking of iodine.
So, are (were) there some local diseases which produced so many sufferers in other regions?
I think the contaminations of modern industries are influencing the evolution of the human being after all. Maybe some day ,after many many years ,people would find the results.
But, perhaps , people got more than lost. However, they couldn’t stop themselves doing their careers .

U.S. soil/water problem is contamination of the soil by lead. Lead was used in house paints. Old lead paint "chalks"--becomes dust--and ends up in the soil, where children play in it and dogs track it into the house. Inside the house, lead paint was often used in moldings, which release lead when chipped or eaten. Unleaded gasoline has ended the problem of lead being spread by car exhausts.

I can remember eating lead paint as a child--it was sweet, which is why kids eat it. I ate a large section off the wall below my bed, where my parents couldn't see it. Who knows how many brain cells I lost!

Lead levels above 20 used to be considered toxic. New research has lowered the level to 10, and more research is suggesting that any lead level at all is dangerous to brain development. Most kids in older U.S. cities often have levels from 4-10, and rarely have none. Lead paint is now illegal, but the problem persists. It's a problem especially for landlords, who can be forced to "de-lead" an apartment if a tenant complains, at an extremely high cost (tens of thousands of dollars). When my wife and I bought our house west of Boston, we deleaded the outside, and replaced the topsoil. We left the interior lead paint intact, but covered it with special paint that seals it in place.

Soil and water toxicities of different types are problems around the globe. The U.S. has over a hundred "Superfund" sites, where taxpayers are paying to clean up the messes left by corporations that fouled the environment. The most famous cases were "Love Canal" in New York and the PG&E hexavalent chlorine contamination made famous in the movie "Erin Brockovich."

Since I am a boater, water pollution is of particular concern to me. There are many areas in the U.S. where one cannot eat the fish or shellfish because of contamination by industry. The Hudson River, in New York, for example, is heavily contaminated with PCB's by the GE corporation.

Mariner.

as a kid,Mariner,and still grew up to be a doctor! Damn ya missed out on being another 'Einstein'! Then again maybe the lead paint wasn't so bad afterall! :huh:

I was, huh? I thought of it as dessert, and ate a little piece every night.

I was expecting someone to say that my liberalism was finally explained: lead encephalopathy.

Mariner.

it is maybe sweet,but other contents of the paint not sweet, you maybe breathe them in or ate some bad food,
So I think it is a reason of degeneration of American.
Don’t angry about the word “degeneration”, I don’t know any American, but I watch some Hollywood films, I think the current actors and actress are not noble and handsome and beautiful as their formers. I hope I got a mistake.
there are many other reasons which producing degeneration , I think.
I think American soldiers are very cool in their suits , but maybe cool because of suits. I hope it is not the fact.
It is difficulty to get rid of contamination of soil, replacing the topsoil is very high cost, impossible almost here. In china , no land is privy, no one but government would give the money.
a proverb here: a kind of land and water, a kind of people.(in meaning)
it is true.

howtoknow said:
it is maybe sweet,but other contents of the paint not sweet, you maybe breathe them in or ate some bad food,
So I think it is a reason of degeneration of American.
Don’t angry about the word “degeneration”, I don’t know any American, but I watch some Hollywood films, I think the current actors and actress are not noble and handsome and beautiful as their formers. I hope I got a mistake.
there are many other reasons which producing degeneration , I think.
I think American soldiers are very cool in their suits , but maybe cool because of suits. I hope it is not the fact.
It is difficulty to get rid of contamination of soil, replacing the topsoil is very high cost, impossible almost here. In china , no land is privy, no one but government would give the money.
a proverb here: a kind of land and water, a kind of people.(in meaning)

soldiers wear 'suits' nowdays...all I got to wear was funky camos back in the day...well except the occassional olive drab! :cry:

kind of "degeneration" in America. Public health is not as good as in many industrial nations, because 1/6 of our children grow up in poverty, and we do not provide medical insurance to poor children and their families. Hence our infant mortality rates are higher than that of the entire rest of the industrialized world.

I guess the sweetness of the lead must overcome whatever bad taste the other ingredients in paint have. I do remember it tasting sweet, and it's a common observation that children who have eaten it say it's sweet. I'm not really willing to taste it again--a dime-sized piece is enough to cause an elevated lead level in a child.

Mariner.

babies eat any things in their hands, if nothing in their hands, they would eat their fingers , so they are easy to be poisoned.
But does lead only poison brain cells? It is terrible that a poison is sweet. However the paint of lead is illegal now.
I don’t know how long and how many the soil of high fluorin affects the people live around this region. My ancestor came from there, so I know why we are so sickish.
If a soil lack fluorin , what will happen? Is there on the world any land so?

soldiers wear 'suits' nowdays...all I got to wear was funky camos back in the day...well except the occassional olive drab!

what is camos ,what is olive drab, is it a kind of army suit?
Are you an American soldier? are you in Iraq?

howtoknow said:
soldiers wear 'suits' nowdays...all I got to wear was funky camos back in the day...well except the occassional olive drab!

what is camos ,what is olive drab, is it a kind of army suit?
Are you an American soldier? are you in Iraq?

US Army Vietnam era...and the suit was a joke...play on words...A military suit would be Class A's...camos and olive drab referred to combat apparrel...as in fatigues!

"endemic," which does mean the same thing as a disease very common in a particular local area.

I'm not sure about fluorine in soil. I would have to learn more about that. There are thousands of reasons someone can be 'sickly'--only a few are from the environment, such as the soil, air or water.

Mariner.

I cannot understand , why the suit was a joke. I think the army suit are very serious, so many little bags attached , when soldiers march on , the bags are full of many things and look like heavily
So, sure many people wouldn’t be a soldier, cool but dangerous and hardship.
Many American are overweight and have a tired heart.

Forum List

Back