Local Columnist Ruins Finnish-Canadian Relations

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
The author of the following columns has a weekly column in one of the city papers. He usually sticks with local stuff, although sometimes he likes to rouse spirit for Canadian teams, and the country in general. THe first article is poking a little fun at Finland before they played team Canada, the second is about outraged Fin's and hate e-mail.

Tue, September 14, 2004

Flashy Finns worthy of hate

By Earl McRae -- For the Ottawa Sun

When the Olympic hockey team from the great and glorious United States of America, our caring big brother, recognized our crying need as a nation for self-esteem through anything, it generously tanked the gold medal game.

Will Finland's national hockey team do the same for us tonight in the World Cup final?

I doubt it.

I bet you anything Finland has decided to kick Canada's rump.

Finland will want to prove it's a somebody, and you can understand why. Finland is not the big and mighty United States of America that can afford to give one to the little twerps now and then without any real damage to its reputation of first and foremost in the world.

Canadians got a huge, emotional, nationalistic hate-on for the Americans before that Olympic hockey game, and I'm here to tell you right now that you have just as much reason, if not more, to have an eye-blazing, spitting, spluttering, hate-on for the Finns tonight.

More:
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Ottawa/Earl_McRae/2004/09/14/628280.html

Thu, September 16, 2004

Claus for an uproar

Finns go ballistic over Earl McRae's assertion Santa is Canadian

By EARL MCRAE -- For the Ottawa Sun

Good God, what have I done to Finnish-Canadian relations?

It was supposed to be the national hockey team from Finland versus the national hockey team from Canada in the World Cup final, not the nation of Finland versus Earl McRae in the Santa Claus War.

E-mail from Finland: "Earl. Wow, you've caused the s--t to hit the fan. I am from Finland, living in Toronto. I am visiting my mother in Helsinki. Your column was all the discussion on radio here. All of Finland is uproaring over you. Finland is not near Africa, and Santa Claus is not a Canadian, he is a Finn. You should know that. I hope a polar bear bites your ass."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Ottawa/Earl_McRae/2004/09/15/630808.html

Said1 said:
The author of the following columns has a weekly column in one of the city papers. He usually sticks with local stuff, although sometime he like to rouse spirits for Canadian teams, and the country in general. THe first article is poking a little fun at Finland before they played team Canada, the second is about outraged Fin's and hate e-mail.

:laugh: Seems the Finns need to get a sense of humor!

Kathianne said:
:laugh: Seems the Finns need to get a sense of humor!

The funniest thing is, McRae gave the Finns lots of credit for their accomplishments (however few they may be :D), and they are pissed about Santa. Lamos.:D

The humor and sarcasm could have been lost in translation, although I doubt it.

(2nd edit! Apparently I can't type or read today.)

Said1 said:
The funniest thing is, McRae gave th Finns lot of credit for their accomplishmenst (however few they are :D), and they are pissed about Santa. Lamos.:D

Seems to me many in the world need to laugh a bit! Americans do have a sense of humor, as do the Canadians. Doesn't mean they are confused when they are truly dissed, but usually can get by with, 'Consider the source.'

Kathianne said:
Seems to me many in the world need to laugh a bit! Americans do have a sense of humor, as do the Canadians. Doesn't mean they are confused when they are truly dissed, but usually can get by with, 'Consider the source.'

"Consider The Source", I'll have to use that sometime.:D

Said1 said:
The funniest thing is, McRae gave the Finns lots of credit for their accomplishments (however few they may be :D), and they are pissed about Santa. Lamos.:D

(2nd edit! Apparently I can't type or read today.)

I thought that translation might be the culprit too. But when a number of respondents were apparently upset about having their country placed on the African continent I began to wonder.

Forum List

Back