Lobbyists pick up dining tabs with new Speaker (Georgia)

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Lobbyists pick up dining tabs with new Speaker | ajc.com

New House Speaker David Ralston has advocated for ethics reform at the state Legislature, but that doesn’t mean he’s steering clear of meals with lobbyists.

Reports to the State Ethics Commission show lobbyists spent about twice as much on Ralston in January as they did on Glenn Richardson, the man he replaced, during the same month last year.

Lobbyists disclosed spending $1,225, or about $40 a day, on Ralston in January, mostly for meals and refreshments.

During the same period in 2009, lobbyists reported spending $597 on Richardson, also mostly for meals.

Last January, before he was the House leader, Ralston was treated to two lunches, worth $43.35, by lobbyists.

Richardson announced his resignation in December after his ex-wife went on TV and accused him of having an affair with a utility lobbyist.

Richardson’s resignation brought two months of almost non-stop media attention to the House, which was described as a lobbyist funded political frat-house.

When Republicans met to pick a leader to replace Richardson, Ralston, former chairman of one of two House judiciary committees, was chosen as a reform candidate. He has backed the call for ethics reform during the 2010 Legislative session, and he reiterated that support last week.

I'm also having a delicious meal at the moment, a full helping of irony with a side meal.

New House Speaker David Ralston has advocated for ethics reform at the state Legislature, but that doesn’t mean he’s steering clear of meals with lobbyists.

Reports to the State Ethics Commission show lobbyists spent about twice as much on Ralston in January as they did on Glenn Richardson, the man he replaced, during the same month last year.

Lobbyists disclosed spending $1,225, or about $40 a day, on Ralston in January, mostly for meals and refreshments.

During the same period in 2009, lobbyists reported spending $597 on Richardson, also mostly for meals.

Last January, before he was the House leader, Ralston was treated to two lunches, worth $43.35, by lobbyists.

Richardson announced his resignation in December after his ex-wife went on TV and accused him of having an affair with a utility lobbyist.

Richardson’s resignation brought two months of almost non-stop media attention to the House, which was described as a lobbyist funded political frat-house.

When Republicans met to pick a leader to replace Richardson, Ralston, former chairman of one of two House judiciary committees, was chosen as a reform candidate. He has backed the call for ethics reform during the 2010 Legislative session, and he reiterated that support last week.

I'm also having a delicious meal at the moment, a full helping of irony with a side meal.

The more things change and all.

BTW, before anyone makes this a (D) vs (R) issue, trust me, there ain't much of a difference down here in Jaw-jah between the two. It really is the good 'ole boy network. Gotten worse during Purdue, but if you put most (D)'s and (R)'s side by side, there ain't much of an ideological difference betwixt the two outside of the old guard civil rights pioneers who have made their way into the statehouse.

BTW, before anyone makes this a (D) vs (R) issue, trust me, there ain't much of a difference down here in Jaw-jah between the two. It really is the good 'ole boy network. Gotten worse during Purdue, but if you put most (D)'s and (R)'s side by side, there ain't much of an ideological difference betwixt the two outside of the old guard civil rights pioneers who have made their way into the statehouse.

I figured Georgia was one of those places where the majority of the politicians was corrupt anyway. As with most places.

Though my state is the most corrupt north of Louisiana. :lol:

I figured Georgia was one of those places where the majority of the politicians was corrupt anyway. As with most places.

Illinois?

Depends on how you define corruption. Buying people off, fraud, corporate control etc, not so much (but I'm sure it happens). It's more along "I grew up with Jim-Bob, went to UGA together, I know he'll do a good job, so give him the contract"....ie: the good ole boy network...but not necessarily to the detriment of the project being awarded.

You truly are the most one-dimensional moron on this site.
Let's start with, was there any violation of the law in any of this? Since the article didnt mention it I would assume the answer is no.
Then let's go with, all of this was disclosed, none of it under the table. So if you object to your politician getting a free meal here is all the info you need to vote him out.
Finally, do you really think a lobbyist is going to buy a politician for a $43 lunch?
John R Lott jr did a study of politicians and their voting patterns after they announced they were retiring. Turns out lobbyist money really didn't play a part in any of their voting.
Once again, Dogshit proves he is the least informed member of this board. Nice going.

$43 is not that big a deal for two lunches.

While politicians should avoid the appearance of inpropriety....this is mostly petty

While politicians should avoid the appearance of inpropriety....this is mostly petty

That's before he became speaker. You seemed to miss this:

no kidding....

why don't we go look up obama's record or any dem or repub on capitol hill

i don't seem to recall that many dems complaining about obama's broken promises re lobbyists...but holy crap, a few bucks on lunch and the repubs are fucking evil man

Last edited:
no kidding....

why don't we go look up obama's record or any dem or repub on capitol hill

i don't seem to recall that many dems complaining about obama's broken promises re lobbyists...but holy crap, a few bucks on lunch and the repubs are fucking evil man

Nobody made this a D or R issue before you.

BTW, before anyone makes this a (D) vs (R) issue, trust me, there ain't much of a difference down here in Jaw-jah between the two.

Pretty much the same in ILL, too, which is why I don't really give a shit if a Repub wins the Governor's mansion this year.

The Republicans in my county used to be Democrats.
They do anything to STAY elected here.
Bunch of hypocrits.

In this case, its not the $1225 but the unrestricted access provided to lobbyists. It creates a "personal" relationship that interferes with his ability to be impartial

In this case, its not the $1225 but the unrestricted access provided to lobbyists. It creates a "personal" relationship that interferes with his ability to be impartial

Why is it his job to be impartial? It isn't. He got elected by a particular constituency to represent them and advocate for their issues.

Why is it his job to be impartial? It isn't. He got elected by a particular constituency to represent them and advocate for their issues.

Why is it his job to be impartial?
Because he is supposed to represent ALL the people....not just those who are paying for favors or paying for access.

Why is it his job to be impartial?
Because he is supposed to represent ALL the people....not just those who are paying for favors or paying for access.

Bullshit.
He does represent "all the people" but the majority who voted for him and put him in office did so with the expectation that he would pursue certain policies. Which he is doing.
If what you said were true then Obama is violating his duty by not representing people who want less government.

Forum List

Back