Living Without Money

The guy is living off the waste and charity of the society that does use money.

He's part of the system because he is mostly still living off it.

From what I can see, his happy little "I'm so frigging wonderful" lifestyle is made possible by the fact that OTHER people around him DO work and engage in commerce.

Oh I think you are right about that, for sure.

But then too plenty of people are doing the same thing only they are doing much better than this guy because they are living off their inheritences, their trust funds....ie the PAST LABOR OF OTHERS

A chum of mine once quipped that in today's society the best way to get rich is to either get it from the past (be to the manor born, living off the work of your forefathers) or to borrow it from the future. (live on debts that you're going to offload onto future generations just like this society's BANSTERS have been doing).

I don't see why YOU have such a big problem with the guy... is he asking you for anything? Then you go quote Dennis Miller, now there's a real philosopher. lmao :p

551149_274397495977868_245651428852475_621868_543546961_n.jpg

:eusa_eh:

What if others decided to live without money on pubic land and take his cave away from him for their own use? Would he defend it to the death? How would the public parks hold all the people in the US if everyone decided to do this?

What if he catches a disease from the garbage cans he rummages through? Who would pay for his treatment? Likely he would sue the owner and collect the rest from the government.

This guy isn't living independently. He is sponging off others. Now, if he bought 1500 acres of wooded land and lived off the land, that would be admirable. Sponging off the taxpayers and other private citizens is not.

Fifteen HUNDRED acres? Two and a third square miles? Heck, he'd be a one percenter if he could afford to own so much real estate...that's five million bucks almost anywhere.

Where did this red herring come from? Twenty acres would be way more than he'd need to sustain such a lifestyle, and let's remember that the supply of land is finite and limited.

He might be able to live off twenty acres here, but not everywhere. So land is finite and limited? Here's a flash: So are public parks.

I stopped going to the public library in Nashville because you couldn't round a corner without stepping on some smelly homeless person sleeping in the floor. Of course, the publc library is public so they couldn't be asked to leave. I did wonder why they didn't have some rule about not sleeping in the floor, though. This guy is no different. He is using public resources in a manner for which they were never intended.

Indeed a better example. But this guy doesn't really strike me as a philosopher people are going to be talking about in a couple of thousand years.

True, if someone had the modern equivalent of the lifestyle of Diogenes it'd probably include:

* Living in a dumpster, cardboard box, or an abandoned car.
* Wandering around with a lit flashlight all day.
* Panhandling, begging.
* Tendency to abuse animals (i.e. plucking birds of their feathers).

Etc.

Or a crazy homeless guy. :lol:

Forum List

Back