Livestock feed becomes a campaign element

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Kerry Waves Corn, Bush Eats It Raw

DAVENPORT, Iowa (Reuters) - Competing for votes in corn-growing Iowa, John Kerry (news - web sites) waved to crowds with one ear in each hand. Not to be outdone by his Democratic rival, President Bush (news - web sites) ate one raw.

Cultivating the corn vote is serious business in the battleground Midwestern state, where the rival presidential candidates converged on Wednesday.

Bush lost the state to Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites) in 2000 by just 4,144 votes, or roughly two votes for every precinct. Polls show the 2004 race is another dead heat.

Iowa is the No. 1 corn-producing state in the nation, and Bush and Kerry are campaigning here with promises to help the state's farmers.

Kerry declared his enthusiasm for corn by sticking his head out the window of his campaign bus. He waved both hands with corn.

After their simultaneous rallies in Davenport in eastern Iowa, Bush stopped at a farmer's market in nearby Bettendorf and bought some ears of sweet corn.

The president took a bite of one on the spot. "Oh yeah. You don't even have to cook it. It's really good," Bush declared.

Full Article

Hmmm corn.

Frito anyone?

MtnBiker said:

DAVENPORT, Iowa (Reuters) - Competing for votes in corn-growing Iowa, John Kerry (news - web sites) waved to crowds with one ear in each hand. Not to be outdone by his Democratic rival, President Bush (news - web sites) ate one raw.

Cultivating the corn vote is serious business in the battleground Midwestern state, where the rival presidential candidates converged on Wednesday.

Bush lost the state to Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites) in 2000 by just 4,144 votes, or roughly two votes for every precinct. Polls show the 2004 race is another dead heat.

Iowa is the No. 1 corn-producing state in the nation, and Bush and Kerry are campaigning here with promises to help the state's farmers.

Kerry declared his enthusiasm for corn by sticking his head out the window of his campaign bus. He waved both hands with corn.

After their simultaneous rallies in Davenport in eastern Iowa, Bush stopped at a farmer's market in nearby Bettendorf and bought some ears of sweet corn.

The president took a bite of one on the spot. "Oh yeah. You don't even have to cook it. It's really good," Bush declared.

Full Article

Hmmm corn.

Frito anyone?

Pictures to compliment MB's link:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/007366.php

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040804/ids_photos_india_wl/ra796370861.jpg

MtnBiker said:

And they both support huge farm subsidies. yeah!

I am not a corn grower so I could be biased I admit, but I think the farm subsidies need to end. they were a bad idea when FDR started them, and they are still a bad idea. Thankfully Badnarik agrees so I have someone to vote for.

Travis

I agree that corn subsidies are a bad idea.

I wonder how one makes inroads in farming states without promising more money to farmers?

gop_jeff said:
I agree that corn subsidies are a bad idea.

I wonder how one makes inroads in farming states without promising more money to farmers?

I think the key is to point out two things...

1. Farm subsidies help big corporation farms at the expense of the 'little guy'.

2. You could not just end farm subsidies. You would have to point out that ending farm subsidies is part of a larger plan of ending all subsidies and many government programs. Things such as the national endowment of the arts, the department of education, and many other programs that cost alot of money but are not popular in the midwest. In other words make them realize that although they are giving up something, so is the rest of the nation. Everyone is giving up their favorite government program so that we can all enjoy lower taxes.

tpahl, I am in total agreement with you. My only point is that it's not easy to win elections that way. The question then becomes how does one get elected by promising to slash the size of government (and gov't handouts) when the Democrats are always running a condidate that promises to give out more?

gop_jeff said:
tpahl, I am in total agreement with you. My only point is that it's not easy to win elections that way. The question then becomes how does one get elected by promising to slash the size of government (and gov't handouts) when the Democrats are always running a condidate that promises to give out more?

By continuing to remind people everytime they make such a promise (which the GOP makes just as often!) that those handouts cost money and for the most part most everyone in the country pays for more for the handouts then they receive because between the time that the people pay for the handout and the subsidy is actually given, the government takes its cut.

I agree it is not easy to make, but at least the LP tries. The GOP has given up.

tpahl said:
By continuing to remind people everytime they make such a promise (which the GOP makes just as often!) that those handouts cost money and for the most part most everyone in the country pays for more for the handouts then they receive because between the time that the people pay for the handout and the subsidy is actually given, the government takes its cut.

I agree it is not easy to make, but at least the LP tries. The GOP has given up.

Maybe at the higher levels the GOP has given up. At the grassroots, most GOP members are still conservative enough to oppose farm subsidies as well as welfare, NEA, DOE, etc. But, as you have seen, domestic policy has taken a back seat to foreign policy.

gop_jeff said:
Maybe at the higher levels the GOP has given up. At the grassroots, most GOP members are still conservative enough to oppose farm subsidies as well as welfare, NEA, DOE, etc. But, as you have seen, domestic policy has taken a back seat to foreign policy.

Perhaps they shouldn't though. If Badnarik is correct, we bring our troops home. Cut the gov't by 2/3. Get rid of education, arts, etc at all levels. And have free range free markets, perhaps they will just leave us alone?

Kathianne said:
Perhaps they shouldn't though. If Badnarik is correct, we bring our troops home. Cut the gov't by 2/3. Get rid of education, arts, etc at all levels. And have free range free markets, perhaps they will just leave us alone?

The arts and education are not really at issue with them leaving us along, but the free trade and troops are. I doubt the terrorists care one way or another whether we subsidze art or nationalized education. What they are more concerned with is our trade embargoes, military occupations, and alliances with their enemies.

I do not think you can really give Badnarik credit for the ideas he is expounding. I think it was G. Washington that said essentially, 'commerce with all, entanglements with none'. Badnarik simply wants us to turn back torwards that wise policy. It is a direct result of our embargoes, troops in foriengn countries and entangling alliances that have led us to where we are now. it is reasonable that ending such unwise policies would reverse the tide of terrorism against the US.

Travis

Forum List

Back