Liver and Onions

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
In real life I always here "ewww" when I mention this delicacy ... and worse still very few restaurants prepare it. What are your favorite ways to prepare it, if you enjoy it as well?

Mine is grill the liver slowly until well done but not dry, seasoned with paprika and garlic. Sear it with a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Toss in the onion (usually diced) just before it's done to keep the a tiny bit crunchy still.

Serve with a side dish of grilled bell peppers and sautéed mushrooms in a sauce that is 1/4 cup Worcestershire and a table spoon sugar until caramelized.

I don't eat it anymore, too high in cholesterol and I make it too high in sodium. When I did make it:

Rinse well in water, pat dry.
Dredge in well seasoned flour-salt & pepper.
Pan fry in oil.

Tons of bacon and grilled onions!

Mashed potatoes, peas & carrots.

Saute onions first, til lightly browned. One medium onion, sliced (not diced) per piece of liver.
Pull aside when golden, retain liquid. aside.
Flour and dry season .75" - 1" thick slices of liver, sear/brown liver both sides in a butter/EVOO mix, very hot pan.
Reduce heat to low, add onions back in, add a good splash of liquid (beef stock, good red wine, beer, anything with flavor)
cover and cook/steam on low for a few minutes, 5 at the most. Until onions are softened
and the liquid is absorbed. Liver should be slightly soft to the touch, like a med.rare steak, not firm.
When you cut, Pink/red center, browned edges.

Make a gravy if you want, or just serve and eat with a salad and buttered pasta, better yet - spaetzle
A good hearty Zin or Malbec or Cab. - or a decent blend.
Succulent, fragrant, creamy and delicious.

Your grilled liver sounds wonderful. I love grilled vegs. slopped over anything.

Saute onions first, til lightly browned. One medium onion, sliced (not diced) per piece of liver.
Pull aside when golden, retain liquid. aside.
Flour and dry season .75" - 1" thick slices of liver, sear/brown liver both sides in a butter/EVOO mix, very hot pan.
Reduce heat to low, add onions back in, add a good splash of liquid (beef stock, good red wine, beer, anything with flavor)
cover and cook/steam on low for a few minutes, 5 at the most. Until onions are softened
and the liquid is absorbed. Liver should be slightly soft to the touch, like a med.rare steak, not firm.
When you cut, Pink/red center, browned edges.

Make a gravy if you want, or just serve and eat with a salad and buttered pasta, better yet - spaetzle
A good hearty Zin or Malbec or Cab. - or a decent blend.
Succulent, fragrant, creamy and delicious.

Your grilled liver sounds wonderful. I love grilled vegs. slopped over anything.

I'll have to try yours, I am more of a giller than anything, my father taught me how to grill and bar-b-que and my mother taught me nothing but how to use a microwave. So when I cook just for myself and not interested in spending the time, I grill, tastes better than nuking.

My dog will do tricks and put on big a show to get little pieces of deliciously cooked beef liver, but she won't eat the sauted onions under any circumstances. She is such a brat.
She's the taster, and says there are no poisons. Only good stuff.

My wife leaves to go shopping whenever I cook liver and onions.
I have a shopping list all prepared for her. Who's training who ?

Start with BABY beef liver.

Haven't had this meal in years. Fact is I never see baby liver in the supermarket, anymore. I wonder if they just don't label it as such because of the whole veal/baby thing?

The trick is to cook it without making the liver tough.

My father was the master chef of this dish.

Throw on a side of mashed potatoes and I'm there.

I'm a lifelong smoker.

Cholesterol is my friend.

In real life I always here "ewww" when I mention this delicacy ... and worse still very few restaurants prepare it. What are your favorite ways to prepare it, if you enjoy it as well?

Mine is grill the liver slowly until well done but not dry, seasoned with paprika and garlic. Sear it with a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Toss in the onion (usually diced) just before it's done to keep the a tiny bit crunchy still.

Serve with a side dish of grilled bell peppers and sautéed mushrooms in a sauce that is 1/4 cup Worcestershire and a table spoon sugar until caramelized.

Its GUTS you stupid twat. And close your window I don't want to smell your disgusting dinner cooking.

It's not part of the gastrointestinal system, Huggy.

Tripe is guts.

Liver is an organ, though.

You'll eat a cows ass (a.k.a., a round roast) but you are disgusted by its liver.

You're not alone in that sentiment.

I expect you're no a big fan of goose pate, either, right?

No accounting for taste, I suppose.

It's not part of the gastrointestinal system, Huggy.

Tripe is guts.

Liver is an organ, though.

You'll eat a cows ass (a.k.a., a round roast) but you are disgusted by its liver.

You're not alone in that sentiment.

I expect you're no a big fan of goose pate, either, right?

No accounting for taste, I suppose.

Right.

Forum List

Back