Liver and onions...

Shame on you!

I LOVE liver & onions.

But then, I'm a good cook.

The kids aren't into it.

But my ex used to be..you either like it or you don't.

Use calf or venison liver...full grown beef liver is a little freaky.

Secret is...you trim it ruthlessly; before cooking, there should be no bit of white tissue or anything else....cut that shit out.

Dredge in flour, brown in bacon fat....take out, stick sliced onions in the pan, brown, stick the browned liver on top, add 1/2 cup of water, cover and let it simmer until the water reduces to glaze/gravy...

Yum. Yum. I think I'll have that this weekend.

The kids won't.

Shame on you!

I LOVE liver & onions.

But then, I'm a good cook.

The kids aren't into it.

But my ex used to be..you either like it or you don't.

Use calf or venison liver...full grown beef liver is a little freaky.

Secret is...you trim it ruthlessly; before cooking, there should be no bit of white tissue or anything else....cut that shit out.

Dredge in flour, brown in bacon fat....take out, stick sliced onions in the pan, brown, stick the browned liver on top, add 1/2 cup of water, cover and let it simmer until the water reduces to glaze/gravy...

Yum. Yum. I think I'll have that this weekend.

The kids won't.

My grandparents always ate liver and onions. My mom had grandpa over for diner shortly after grandma died and fixed his favorite dinner, liver and onions. Came to find out that night he hated liver and onions and only ate them because "Babe" his wife fixed them. Years before my mom was talking to grandmother and found out she hate liver and onions and only fixed them because it was his favorite. :) it showed me how devoted they were to each other, however they needed to communicate better.

I know my ex really liked it, he'd eat huge piles of the stuff, lol.

I quit eating this shit as soon as I got too big for my mother to beat me. Two words: REAL NASTY.

Hmm.... I should try it again. So many things I didn't like in my youth have become favorites in my middling years. Brussel sprouts and spinach, for example.

Some people never come around, though. My brother who is not very finicky has never been able to stomach liver or cooked spinach.

I've always LOVED how it smelled when it was cooking (my mom and dad would fix it)....but i could never stomach eating it!

I quit eating this shit as soon as I got too big for my mother to beat me. Two words: REAL NASTY.

Hmm.... I should try it again. So many things I didn't like in my youth have become favorites in my middling years. Brussel sprouts and spinach, for example.

I know what you mean. Actually, when i was little i used to like spinach! I'm 59 now and can't stand it, and never learned to like brussel sprouts! Yuck!

The secret to making it edible is thin slices, assiduous trimming, and cook the crap out of it. Brown it thoroughly, then add the water and let it simmer for however long it takes....and be fairly liberal with the water.

Man I'm hungry. I had flipping pickles for lunch. They were good but it wasn't exactly filling.

I love the smell of spinach, the taste is not very good.

The liver, it is the texture, I can't handle it.

that's why you have to cook it to a fare thee well...but some people never like it.

My kids absolutely love spinach..with butter and vinegar...

My grandma taught me how to cook it and I did, until I gave up organ meats and most meat in general. Maybe 6 times a year for meat.

I used flour, salt and pepper to coat it. ( Calf liver ) Fried it in bacon grease fast on each side. Added onions then simmered it all for a few, then fried bacon on top of all that. Made milk gravy and spooned it over all that fat, and mashed potatoes, hot biscuits and a veggie. :D

Glad I wised up and started eating to live instead of living to eat.

I never make milk gravy, I just let the water and the flour make a brown gravy....

yummy yummy otherwise we cook it very much the same.

It's a good meal for people who work out in the weather 14 hours a day and then have to walk 10 miles in the driving sleet to get home to dinner.

I can handle it once or twice a year. With mashy taters and gravy. Yum.

Our daughter refuses to eat at any restaurant with "Family" in its name.
She said "it's where old people go to eat liver and drink coffee". :lol:

I used to love liver and onions when I was younger, and could cook it up good like some of you are describing. Really well done with bacon and brown gravy. Yum.

However, I've read that organ meats, especially liver aren't so good for us? I haven't really researched that, though, because as I've gotten older I've kind of lost my taste for meat. Just eat small amounts of it and no organ meats.

Forum List

Back