Live on CNN lady swears at interviewer for having a microphone in her face.

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Anyone see this, happened literally two minutes ago. Woman with her children who was being questioned by CNN reporter, says "we've been calling for help for 36 hours. Haven't had food for 5 days..."

Then when asked another question, she then angrily says (paraphrasing) "we're hungry and wet and I get here and you guys have a mic in my fu____king face, you have a mic in my fu___cking face". It did seem rather Jeckyl and Hyde in fairness to the reporter, tough to gauge if someone is very relieved to be saved (you would think this), or dealing with the stress and uncertainty of their life. Regardless, they made a quick cut to commercial.

Some trauma I suppose, but also all those hours with your kid worrying about life or death and the media are on you as soon as you arrive at the shelter. Just one of those "you know this is live TV" moments. Can't imagine how she has felt all those hours, how unsure of she is about her future. I think the woman who did the questioning is probably going to be a little more cautious about who she approaches.

Last edited:
It's just plain stupid for a reporter to be asking stuff like, how do you feeeeel? of someone who has pretty much literally just escaped death.

Anyone see this, happened literally two minutes ago. Woman with her children who was being questioned by CNN reporter, says "we've been calling for help for 36 hours. Haven't had food for 5 days..."

Then when asked another question, she then angrily says (paraphrasing) "we're hungry and wet and I get here and you guys have a mic in my fu____king face, you have a mic in my fu___cking face". It did seem rather Jeckyl and Hyde in fairness to the reporter, tough to gauge if someone is very relieved to be saved (you would think this), or dealing with the stress and uncertainty of their life. Regardless, they made a quick cut to commercial.

Some trauma I suppose, but also all those hours with your kid worrying about life or death and the media are on you as soon as you arrive at the shelter. Just one of those "you know this is live TV" moments. Can't imagine how she has felt all those hours, how unsure of she is about her future. I think the woman who did the questioning is probably going to be a little more cautious about who she approaches.
Low blood sugar can turn anyone into a raving bitch/lunatic.
Poor thing. The CNN news suckers leeching on to her before she can even get a shower and dry clothes.
No one should try to interview these folks without talking to them first, OFF camera.

tough to gauge if someone is very relieved to be saved (you would think this),

"Thank you." "God bless you." Those are just two of the first utterances I'd likely have to say to the people arriving to extract me from a perilous situation.

Call me odd, but gratitude and relief would be the first emotions I'd feel the need/desire to express. I just was raised to be way. Accordingly, "get the "F" out of my face" definitely is not what would right then and there cross my mind to say.

lady swears at interviewer for having a microphone in her face...."we've been calling for help for 36 hours.

I suspect CNN (or any news organization) isn't whom she/they called for help. Did CNN's reporter show up and hel,p or did the reporter/news crew show up along with rescue personnel?

News organizations are pretty good at anticipating the type of equipment they need for given circumstances. In flood situations, news crews -- no matter the news organization -- in their "cruising" around for stories, happen upon people needing help, so they help the people they encounter. Usually, reporting crews consist of a reporter, a camera operator and maybe/maybe not a producer. In other instances, a reporter with a camera or a reporter and camera operator may be "embedded" with rescue teams.

In floods, either situation happens because news crews know damn well and long before the flood that to do their jobs, they will likely need a small, shallow-water capable boat of some sort. It's not hard for them to know that. The meteorologists that work for the news organization simply inform the folks who'll perform the onsite reporting of things like the topography, expected water levels, natural water dispersal rates, etc. That's just part of the research that goes into preparing to report a natural disaster story. Doing so aids the quality of reporting, but it also facilitates knowing where to go for relevant stories and, in the case of a flood, having the equipment needed to get there and return safely.

"we're hungry and wet and I get here and you guys have a mic in my fu____king face, you have a mic in my fu___cking face".

That seems like an odd response to me.
  • If someone had shown up without a microphone, would she not have been willing to share her status and experience with them?
  • Is she not a member of the segment of our society that feels obliged to share photos and videos of "pretty much anything and everything going on in their lives?" Maybe she isn't...I can't say.
  • Is she not one of the people who thinks every dumbass idea that crosses her mind is, merely because it crossed her mind, worth Tweeting about?
Odd or not, her having said that is certainly crass and shows the ill bred nature of that woman's character. There really is no exculpation for her in that regard.

Did the woman say she survived for 5 days without food and water? How is that possible? How long can the average human survive without food and water?

It's just plain stupid for a reporter to be asking stuff like, how do you feeeeel? of someone who has pretty much literally just escaped death.
on one hand i agree, but on the other hand, can they "guess" and just say "wow, you must feel xyz" and be done with it?

on one hand i agree, but on the other hand, can they "guess" and just say "wow, you must feel xyz" and be done with it?
Not sure that is much of a difference.

Maybe it's me. All my life I have wondered why news people shove microphones in victim's faces. Finally, one of those victims said what I've been expecting to hear for years.

Maybe it's me. All my life I have wondered why news people shove microphones in victim's faces. Finally, one of those victims said what I've been expecting to hear for years.
there's a huge difference.

i, as a reporter, can't say "wow, these people are coming in from a major ordeal and look at that mom and her children...they must be feeling..."

while it does stand to reason you can likely guess how they are feeling, you can't report that as news. well these days you can report just about ANYTHING as news so who knows anymore.

but historically, a journalist can't make up quotes for other people regardless of how "correct" you think you may be in your assessment.

i, as a reporter, can't say "wow, these people are coming in from a major ordeal and look at that mom and her children...they must be feeling..."

while it does stand to reason you can likely guess how they are feeling, you can't report that as news. well these days you can report just about ANYTHING as news so who knows anymore.

but historically, a journalist can't make up quotes for other people regardless of how "correct" you think you may be in your assessment.
I'm not not going to continue this argument with you. My issue with news people bothering victims has been, and remains, that they are bothering them. I don't care what they are actually saying.

I'm not not going to continue this argument with you. My issue with news people bothering victims has been, and remains, that they are bothering them. I don't care what they are actually saying.
and i'm not disagreeing with you. i think the questions, scenario and so forth are kinda stupid. but i'm not sure what you'd expect a reporter to do down there outside of this.

a reporter can't, or shouldn't, make up quotes or tell you how someone feels *for them*. you get this from the people you are talking to. so other than simply not send reporters out to talk to people offer up an alternative or suggestion?

and i'm not disagreeing with you. i think the questions, scenario and so forth are kinda stupid. but i'm not sure what you'd expect a reporter to do down there outside of this.

a reporter can't, or shouldn't, make up quotes or tell you how someone feels *for them*. you get this from the people you are talking to. so other than simply not send reporters out to talk to people offer up an alternative or suggestion?
My position is that reporter should leave victims alone. I'm not sure why you keep saying they shouldn't make things up. Of course they shouldn't. Again. A reporter asking someone who has just been through an ordeal how they feel is not news worthy, and expecting that victim to make a statement is a crappy way to treat them.

I realize the reporter has a job to do. I also realize that some people like "human interest" stories. I just don't think it is compassionate or necessary to ever shove a microphone in a victim's face.

Forum List

Back