Live Green, Go Yellow, E85 Ethanol

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 007, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,859
  2. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I agree that the effort should be expanded, but ethanol is no solution. If you look on the website you linked (look under E85: The 411/FAQs/Does Ethanol only come from corn?) The site notes that we already use 11% of the corn crop for ethanol, and thats for only 2 out of the 80 million vehicles on the road. And I would bet that most of that 2 million has never seen a drop of E85. Basicly, we'd need a lot more land than even we to switch over to ethanol. Even if it was possibly, I would not be surprised if we started seeing a water shortage for all those crops. However, ethanol is not a hopeless cause, it could help to somewhat reduce our oil dependency, but its still just a stopgap measure.

3. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,859
    I disagree. I grew up in the midwest. Born in Iowa and raised in Wisconsin. I know for a fact that the DNR pays farmers to leave the land bare and grow nothing. I know this is also meant to replenish the top soil, but personally knowing quite a few farmers in my life, they abused this regularly. If they had a cash crop like corn to grow, they'd do it.

Land? America has more unused land that is crop friendly than any other country in the world. Land to grow corn would not be a problem. And even the process in which the ethanol is made would no doubt be streamlined and refined. Alcohol also has a higher octane than gas, so higher compression ratios could be used in smaller engines, to make more power with less consumption. Alcohol also burns much cleaner than gas.

This is only the beginning, and a good one at that. Don't you think it's a little early to just poo poo the idea away like you're doing? Especially with how badly this country has to rely on foriegn oil?

4. misterblu

misterblu Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
  5. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    i have heard from different sources like auto magazines and newpaper articles, that corn ethanol isn't the greatest in terms of mpg. Meaning, you get fewer mpg than with ethanol/gas mix or just plain gas. so even though ethanol may be cheaper per gallon, you have to fill up sooner, so really it isn't saving any money.

instead of using corn-based ethanol, I read somewhere (i'd have to do some searching as to where) that sugar-beet ethanol (as used in South America) produces higher mpg results, and is easier to produce because topsoil useage is not as bad as corn. i'll check back when i find the info.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

If it's 'enough' cheaper, one or two mpg in reduced economy won't matter. :)

IF the stuff allows me to make more HP, then it's all good.

7. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
  8. misterblu

misterblu Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
  9. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    :confused: I have no idea what that is or means.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem looking for alternative fuels, but I also won't switch cars just because of fuel costs. I plan to keep my impala for many more years. Same with our Caddy. It would basically cost me more in the long run because of the need to finance one or both new cars, thus my needing to pay 2 car payments again, be in debt for another 5 years, and all the interest and down payments that go with it. Not worth it when one car is paid for and the other is nearly there. I suspect many others feel the same way.

I hear a lot about using hydrogen for a fuel source. Isn't that what they used in the Hindenburg, and other 'balloons' that spontaneously combusted, sending hundereds to their deaths? I know they also use hydrogen in mass-destruction bombs. So why do we want an engine, less than a foot away from our bodies, powered by this? Sounds dangerous to me.

10. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I am aware of the DNR payment plan, and we do have a lot of land, but I don't think there is enough to fuel our car fleet. Lets consider:

First we need to establish a few facts,

1. 1 square kilometer = 247.105 381 467 acre
    (source http://www.onlineconversion.com/area.htm)

2. There are 9,161,923 sq km of land in the US
    (source http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html)

3. Of that, 19.13% is arable (Remember- arable land is the amount of land that can be harvested, not being harvested)
    (source http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html)

4. If we multiply the total landmass by the percentage of arable land, we get 1,752,676 square km of arable land in the entire country.

5. Now multiply 1,752,676 by 247.105 for the total number of arable acres, or 433,095,002.98 acres of arable land

6. Now there are, as of 2000, 225,821,841 cars in the US.
    Source: (http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/2002/html/table_01_11.html )

7. And if a car uses E85, it requires 11 acres to go 10,000 miles, about one years driving. So 11 acres per car.
    (source http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=99487&page=2)

8. So if multiply the total number of cars by 11 we will find the amount of land required to fuel all our cars with ethanol.
    225,821,841 cars x 11 acres/car = 2,484,040,251 acres

9. So we have 433,095,002.98 acres of arable land in the entire country, used and unused, but 2,484,040,251.00 acres are required. Now subtract 2,484,040,251 acres - 433,095,002.98 acres = 2050945248 acres

10. So now we see we need an additional 2,050,945,248 acres or approx. 5 times the amount of arable land we have to fuel the auto fleet on E85.

Now as we can see, ethanol is not the answer to our problems; however, it could be an effective stopgap measure. Also if the nation conserved, used automobiles less, had a greater fuel economy, etc. It could be theoritically possible to use ethanol.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2