Live 8 Concert - Another reason for musicians to shut up and just sing

Comrade

Jan 9, 2004
Seattle, WA.
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20...3_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-GROUP-LIVE8-SATURDAY-DC.html

By Claudia Parsons and Paul Majendie

PHILADELPHIA/LONDON (Reuters) - More than a million people gathered in cities across the world on Saturday for Live 8, the biggest music concert ever held to pressure rich nations to do more for the poor.

Like throw free concerts, costing tens of millions of dollars? And these efforts will actually affect people to ask themselves to be taxed more in order to fund the poor in other countries. I'm confused, what is this really, but just another publicity stunt?

As the gigs wound down, organizers turned their thoughts to Wednesday when the leaders of the Group of Eight industrialized nations meet in Scotland to discuss aid to Africa.

Think away!

Live 8 coordinator Bob Geldof urged 200,000 fans in London's Hyde Park to demand "No more excuses" from the G8.

Because obviously we continue to rape Africa of its resources without fair payment. :bj2:

"Mahatma Gandhi freed a continent, Martin Luther King freed a people, Nelson Mandela freed a country. It does work. They will listen," Geldof said.

No, America freed several continents, Abraham Lincoln freed the blacks, and George Washington freed a country.

He was joined on stage by Paul McCartney, who opened the London gig with a rendition of "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," Bono, Madonna, Elton John and a re-formed Pink Floyd.

Live 8 eclipsed Live Aid 20 years ago, when Geldof pulled off a pop world sensation by gathering dozens of acts to raise more than $100 million for Ethiopian famine victims.

And a fine effort it was, 20 years ago. I even fasted for 48 hours to raise $200 through pledges, when I was a Freshman in H.S.

This time he wants change through political pressure, calling for debt forgiveness, a doubling of aid to poor nations and fair trade to allow African countries to compete. Organizers say up to 2 billion people will tune in to watch the concerts.

Utter bullshit. We do not need to give more aid to a continent full of failed Democracies. THEY NEED TO CHANGE. And of course we'd be happy to help out a free government with the full package of aid progams. Consult the multitude of other freed tyrannies, using military force sponsored by the USA, and now successfull Liberal Democracies, which exist all around the world. Sending all the Mugabi's in Africa a cool billion each isn't going to buy freedom for Africa. Any food aid will obviously be doled out by the government, its troops being first on the list. Reference Somalia.

The biggest crowd was in Philadelphia, where hundreds of thousands saw actor Will Smith, P Diddy and Stevie Wonder.

But limited television coverage in the United States could dampen the impact of such an impressive show of people power.

"America has a sense of disconnect when it comes to Africa or places that are very far away because many of us, most of us, won't get the opportunity to see those places," said singer Alicia Keys.

People like this who call America ignorant of the world obviously don't remember that jet travel is an American invention, which we use to travel the world in far more numbers than any country in the world. What a dumb comment.

Others, like former South African President Nelson Mandela speaking in Johannesburg, were determined to put pressure on rich countries.

To send money (in unmarked bills?)

"I say to all those leaders, do not look the other way. Do not hesitate. We ask our leaders to demonstrate commitment, not engage in hollow promises. It is within your power to avoid a genocide of humanity."

Uhh, let me get this straight. We send money or direct aid over to these half-baked African tyrannies, and they'll stop the genocide of their own. Got it. Feh.

U2's Bono summed up the message: "We're not asking you to put your hand in your pockets but we are asking people to put their fist in the air."

*Puts fist in the air in the name of stopping the willing G8 genocide of the poor black Africans.* :stupid:

MOMENT OF EMOTION

London's raucous crowd was silent when Geldof replayed Live Aid footage of dying Ethiopians. After freezing on the image of a girl on the verge of death, the same person, a now healthy Birhan Woldu, was introduced on stage.

If the message was that Live Aid really did make a difference, not everyone was sure Live 8 could do the same.

We make a difference every day with millions of lives. Starting with the AIDS drugs 'evil' American drug companies financed, and ending with the constant aid organizions the US sponsors, we're doing plenty to help a people who have never had the sense to help themselves, and overthrow their old tribal and despotic governments. I doubt anyone at the live 8 concert would sponsor real military action to solve such problems in Africa. No, just dole out more money to be used and abused by the current regimes. Great.

"I don't think the awareness thing is working," said Sue Kim, a 22-year-old student, in Philadelphia. "There's going to be a lot of drunk people and what are they going to remember?"

Exactly what I expect from a 22 year old student. Moving on...

There is also concern within Africa that boosting aid to countries may only bolster corrupt governments.

Umm, yeah. More of a certainty, given the last 50 years of our aid programs.

G8 leaders meet on July 6-8 near Edinburgh, where 200,000 demonstrators marched peacefully through the city to back the Make Poverty History campaign.

Tokyo kicked off Live 8 with Icelandic star Bjork, who expressed the despair she felt in the face of Africa's problems.

"I look at the news, I see people starving, I am crying. I'm a total mess," she said.

I look at the news, I see the murder of Christians by Muslims, the eviction of all White people from their property and the destruction of a countries infrastructure, and a constant brain drain from formerly capable Democracies in Africa. I sure don't hear of any famines though. Malnutrition, probably, but mass starvation? Don't think so. North Korea has the monopoly on that these days.

Live 8 was also staged in the Circus Maximus in Rome and before a crowd of 150,000 in Berlin where most Germans felt it was a good idea even if they had doubts about its impact.

Stonemason Bernd Oppermann said: "I think every little thing helps to raise awareness about poverty no matter how small, and hey, this is the greatest rock concert in the world."

This rock concert raised my awareness of how much Madonna sucks as a singer without a recording studio to edit in some kind of singing versatility, and how she is so pitifull trying to speak in that new British accent of hers.

In Barrie, near Toronto, 35,000 people turned out for the musical feast, while France's concert boasted the Chateau de Versailles as its elegant backdrop.

These are pitifull number for a free, big name concert. Of course, Canada and France never give a political sacrifice for Africa, anyway. But Bush pledging 15 billion in fighting AIDS was a BIG political risk. And Americans were okay with it.

The crowd in Moscow's Red Square was small, perhaps unsurprising in a country where more than a quarter of the population lives below the poverty line.

So we throw some of our own money at Putins' new Russia, and that's going to solve their problems?

And in Johannesburg, most of those interviewed among the crowd of 10,000 had never even heard of Geldof.

He has been criticized for largely excluding African artists.

White people trying to get all mushy and emotional over Africa must be a real hoot to these people. I mean, like, do they give a shit about us? Obviously not our own security problems. No, it's just our money. It was the Western Anglo-Saxon world which developed technology and then enabled mankind to survive well enough to even consider charity as an option. African nations consider the concept of charity a foreign cash cow... they're themselves incapable of using their own resources to help end conflict on their own continent. And this is a CHOICE, not a matter of troop shortages.

Musician Peter Gabriel stepped in with a separate, smaller gig for African performers, and Johannesburg was added to the list of venues, but that has not been enough to prevent Geldof's detractors from accusing him of "cultural apartheid." (Reporting by Reuters bureaus)

Which is where this grand idea of 'getting out the message' is defunct. Why perform in South Africa in order to 'raise awareness' of African poverty and try to extort more money from Western governments in order to stop the seemingly unstoppable. And not only did they pick the wrong country to visit in order to raise this awareness, they managed to piss off the local 'Black Musicians Freedom Brigade' who make it clear that only black people have a right to step in and try to change their way of life. And maybe they have a point.

Comrade said:
African nations consider the concept of charity a foreign cash cow... they're themselves incapable of using their own resources to help end conflict on their own continent. And this is a CHOICE, not a matter of troop shortages.

"When you treat adults like children, eventually they will start to act like children."

I couldn't help but notice the logo with the "8" in the guitar neck look rather like a dollar sign "$". Just found that ironic.

MtnBiker said:
I couldn't help but notice the logo with the "8" in the guitar neck look rather like a dollar sign "$". Just found that ironic.

I thought people were pronouncing it wrong - Live Aid. Unitl I saw G8 on one of the stage banners yesterday. If I lived closer to Barrie I probably would have gone, I've been to festivals at Molson Park before, it's a lot of fun.

You know this whole weekend I've been thinking about this. Being right outside Philly I've been hearing alot about this concert. They have been acting like it's the biggest thing ever. And I kept seeing Mayor Street's ugly mug on TV trying to push it. I just kept remembering the saying that if you cant govern well you need to distract the people by keeping them entertained so they dont know how bad a job you are doing. Alright so its not a saying but its an idea you know what I mean. This whole thing seems to be a way to distract from the poor governing.

My second comment, I honestly can't see this concert doing much at all. The smartest thing of that article was the student who noticed that the people were probably going to be too wasted to remember what they are there for. Thowing a concert wont solve the problem with poverty in the world. That wont change until individual hearts are changed. Christ is the only one who can do that. The word of God would be far more powerful at erradicating poverty and hunger than any concert ever could be. Christ works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world tries to change the environment to change men. Christ changes men who then go and change their environment.

This concert might help a few. But I think it is unlikely.

I'll give em credit for one thing--they didn't raise money to give to murderers like they did last time. I guess Bono will put the concert in commercials touting his political aspirations." Lookie what I did! "

dilloduck said:
I'll give em credit for one thing--they didn't raise money to give to murderers like they did last time. I guess Bono will put the concert in commercials touting his political aspirations." Lookie what I did! "

Maybe he could donate the profits from his next hit CD?

This is exactly what so many people were concerned about regarding "charity" events like this. I am glad I did not give my money to this event and will continue to donate only to charities that I can count on to put the money towards the right things...not lining the already overflowing pockets of spoilied musicians.

'Live 8' Stars Got $12,000 Goodie Bags

Rock stars who lent their talents to Saturday's "Live 8" concert to fight poverty in Africa reportedly performed for free, but that's only if you don't count the luxurious "goodie bags" that were provided by organizers at one venue.

In Philadelphia, each celebrity performer was treated to a Hugo Boss duffel bag loaded with high-fashion trinkets valued at about $3,000, according to The Associated Press.

And that's not all.
The altruistic artists were also feted in a special luxury lounge, where they reportedly chose from an array of expensive parting gifts.

Some of the items scarfed up by the compassionate crusaders:

Hugo Boss suits, valued between $800 and $1,000 each

XM satellite radios and subscriptions worth $500

Gibson guitars costing $2,000 each

Bertolucci watches, valued between $1,500 and $6,000
In all, a poverty-fighting rock star worth his salt could walk away with as much as $12,000 hunger relief loot, the AP said.

"We want this to be a thank-you to the celebrities who are giving up their time and energies," explained Nicole Cashman, whose firm was tagged by organizers to put the pricey goodie bags together.

No word yet on whether any of the leftover Hugo Boss suits and Bertolucci watches will be given to starving Africans.
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/7/3/100150.shtml

Forum List

Back