Little Pink Houses for You and Me

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Senator John Mellencamp? Grassroots Movement Swells for Rocker to Run for Bayh's Indiana Seat | Food | AlterNet

The guy who put populist politics on the charts with a song title "Pink Houses" John Mellencamp performed at the White House last week, as part of a program titled: "In Performance at the White House: A Celebration of Music from the Civil Rights Movement."

For the past quarter century, he has been penning and performing smart, often very political songs -- focusing on the farm crisis, economic hard times and race relations. He's been a key organizer of Farm Aid and other fund-raising events for good causes, and he's been a steady presence on the campaign trail in recent years, appearing at the side of numerous Democratic presidential candidates, including Barack Obama.

So, could Mellencamp perform in the U.S. Senate?

Could he be the right replacement for retiring Senator Evan Bayh, D-Indiana?

Mellencamp certainly has the home-state credibility. Few rockers have been so closely associated with a state as Mellencamp with Indiana.

Mellencamp has a history of issue-oriented political engagement that is the rival of any of the Democratic politicians who are being considered as possible Bayh replacements.

And Mellencamp has something else. He has a record of standing up for disenfranchised and disenchanted working-class families in places like his hometown of Seymour, Indiana.

In other words, he's worthy of the consideration that has led to talk of a "Draft John Mellencamp" movement. In fact, he might be just enough of an outlier to energize base votes and to make independent voters look again at the Democratic column.

Interesting to say the least. Thoughts USMB?

I use to play a lot of John Cougar songs in my younger years. Here was my favorite:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dOsbsuhYGQ]YouTube - John Mellencamp - Hurts So Good[/ame]

I'd vote for him.

Great musician but from what I've seen so far too far to the left for Indiana, if the Democrats want any chance to win that seat in 2010 they need another Evan Bayh to run not an Al Franken.

Here in Indiana people either LOVE LOVE LOVE John Cougar Mellancamp, or HATE HATE HATE him. He could run on the Libertarian, Republican or Democrat ticket and they wouldn't care.

He has the money to run, and I suspect he'll use that to be the 'man behind the curtain'-or the man with the deep pockets- for whoever the Dems decide to run.

Here in Indiana people either LOVE LOVE LOVE John Cougar Mellancamp, or HATE HATE HATE him. He could run on the Libertarian, Republican or Democrat ticket and they wouldn't care.

He has the money to run, and I suspect he'll use that to be the 'man behind the curtain'-or the man with the deep pockets- for whoever the Dems decide to run.

Ummm... I'd imagine that "loving" or "hating" him has FAR more to do with his music than with his politics, after all you can't sing your way through a public debate (well I guess you could but it would be awkward and you'd probably lose).

Great musician but from what I've seen so far too far to the left for Indiana, if the Democrats want any chance to win that seat in 2010 they need another Evan Bayh to run not an Al Franken.

And what has Al Franken done wrong as a Senator so far? Al Franken has been a model Senator so far.

Your mudslinging doesn't work when it's complete bullshit.

Ummm... I'd imagine that "loving" or "hating" him has FAR more to do with his music than with his politics, after all you can't sing your way through a public debate (well I guess you could but it would be awkward and you'd probably lose).

I'm sure they told the same thing to an actor when he was trying to become the Governor of California. And no, I don't mean Arnold. :eusa_whistle:

On the heels of Senator Evan Bayh’s (D-Indiana) announcement of his impending breakup with Congress, and the accompanying lurch it leaves Democrats in, a movement has sprung up to draft heartland rocker John Mellencamp to run for the seat. Shortly after Bayh’s announcement, a “Draft John Mellencamp for Senate!” Facebook page appeared.

Crazier things have happened, and just how crazy is this, anyway?

Conventional wisdom would argue against Mellencamp politically, as he’s on record as not thinking Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton were liberal enough. However, he has some strong positives as a candidate in Indiana.

First of all, you can’t beat him for name recognition, especially now that he has settled on one. :lol:

John Mellencamp - Senate Bid? | Mediaite

I always thought he sounded like a natural gas leak, the kind that is the result of too many beans, rather than the stuff delivered the local utility.

If he can convince folks to vote for him, more power to him. It is ideas that matter, and lets see if his ideas are the same quality as his music. (If they are, I'm not buying)

And what has Al Franken done wrong as a Senator so far? Al Franken has been a model Senator so far.

Your mudslinging doesn't work when it's complete bullshit.

Say again, Couldn't make out anything in that post through all the partisan droning.......

:lol:

Say again, Couldn't make out anything in that post through all the partisan droning.......

Why don't you tell me what Al Franken's done wrong as Senator thus far. Instead of making another stupid statement.

Why don't you tell me what Al Franken's done wrong as Senator thus far. Instead of making another stupid statement.

Yes Mr. Partisan Hack, I just LOVE how you leap to the defense of anyone with a "D" behind there name even when they aren't being attacked.....

You're as transparent as the atmosphere of the moon my friend. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes Mr. Partisan Hack, I just LOVE how you leap to the defense of anyone with a "D" behind there name even when they aren't being attacked.....

You're as transparent as the atmosphere of the moon my friend. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So instead of answering my legitimate question, you'll attack me and call me a partisan hack.

Now you claim you aren't attacking Franken.

Anyone who's been here for more than a month knows I don't leap to the defense of anyone with a "D" behind their name.

So instead of answering my legitimate question, you'll attack me and call me a partisan hack.

Now you claim you aren't attacking Franken.

Anyone who's been here for more than a month knows I don't leap to the defense of anyone with a "D" behind their name.

I realize that your hyper-partisan brain doesn't process english the way a rational person's brain does, however if you were able to actually read, you would have noticed that all I implied was that Al Franken was to the left of Evan Bayh, which in fact he is.

Now nitwit, say something else stupid so I can laugh at you again.

I realize that your hyper-partisan brain doesn't process english the way a rational person's brain does, however if you were able to actually read, you would have noticed that all I implied was that Al Franken was to the left of Evan Bayh, which in fact he is.

Now nitwit, say something else stupid so I can laugh at you again.

Why don't you backtrack a little more? Your original post reflected none of that, and we both know it.

You can keep up the childish names, but they don't make your points any stronger. Though I must ask if you think we're behind a high school?

Forum List

Back