Little Know Fact: Mitt Romney and Dad marched with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

R

rdean

MittLutherKing.jpg

In the most-watched speech of his political career, speaking on “Faith in America” at College Station, Texas, earlier this month, Mitt Romney evoked the strongest of all symbolic claims to civil-rights credentials: “I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.”

He has repeated the claim several times recently, most prominently to Tim Russert on Meet the Press. But, while the late George W. Romney, a four-term governor of Michigan, can lay claim to a strong record on civil rights, the Phoenix can find no evidence that the senior Romney actually marched with King, nor anything in the public record suggesting that he ever claimed to do so.

Nor did Mitt Romney ever previously claim that this took place, until long after his father passed away in 1995 — not even when defending accusations of the Mormon church’s discriminatory past during his 1994 Senate campaign.

Was it all a dream? - News Features

Romney said in a 1978 interview with the Boston Herald, "My father and I marched with Martin Luther King Jr. through the streets of Detroit." It's a claim that he continued to make over the years, most notably during a 2007 interview on Meet the Press with the late Tim Russert.
He said, "You can see what I believed and what my family believed by looking at our lives. My dad marched with Martin Luther King. My mom was a tireless crusader for civil rights." A few days after the appearance, The Boston Phoenix reported that they could not find any record of a march that featured both King and Romney.

Mitt Romney's Martin Luther King problem: Will the candidate's MLK tall tales come back to haunt him?

MITT ROMNEY ---> I HAD A "DREAM" NO SERIOUSLY, IT WAS A "DREAM"

oops

oops

oops

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would Mitt make such an emotional claim, when it was a lie?
The Mormon's still discriminated against blacks at that time.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's on par with President Obama getting BORN because of Selma!

Obama told his audience that, because some folks had the courage to "march across a bridge" in Selma, Alabama, his mother, a white woman from Kansas, and his father, a black Muslim from Africa, took heart. It gave them the courage to get married and have a child. The problem with that characterization is that Barack Obama, Jr. was born on August 4, 1961, while the first of three marches across that bridge in Selma didn't occur until March 7, 1965, at least five years after Obama's parents met.
-- snopes.com: Say What, Barack?

Snopes does its usual biased apologia for The ONE. But clearly, The ONE is not real good with dates or the notion that time moves FORWARD, not backward.

Obama told his audience that, because some folks had the courage to "march across a bridge" in Selma, Alabama, his mother, a white woman from Kansas, and his father, a black Muslim from Africa, took heart. It gave them the courage to get married and have a child. The problem with that characterization is that Barack Obama, Jr. was born on August 4, 1961, while the first of three marches across that bridge in Selma didn't occur until March 7, 1965, at least five years after Obama's parents met.

Snopes does its usual biased apologia for The ONE. But clearly, The ONE is not real good with dates or the notion that time moves FORWARD, not backward.

Oh please. Civil Rights started before 1960. And it didn't start with one march. How you can compare what Obama's parents went through with Mitt Romney's lies is amazing. You have a lot of nerve.

Yep, politicians lie and what they lie about needs to be factored into one's vote. In this case, doesn't matter if one is black or white, seems Mitt has a long history of wishing to be seen as with Civil Rights Movement, not a bad 'wish.'

Not enough to make me a fan of him, but the wish still isn't bad.

Oh please. Civil Rights started before 1960. And it didn't start with one march. How you can compare what Obama's parents went through with Mitt Romney's lies is amazing. You have a lot of nerve.

you are a sea of fail.

rderp says, "The stupid dishonesty I point out is the worst most debased dishonesty and anybody who dares compare the dishonesty I point out to the mild irrelevant dishonesty of The ONE has some fucking nerve."

(And, oh, by the way, you intellectual gnat, nothing I posted had anything to do with when the Civil Rights movement started.)

Hurry back with more of your vapid blather!

Why do republicans have to justify their support for civil rights when it was the democrat party who fought against it? JFK and his quirky brother authorized Hoover's FBI to illegally spy on MLK and issue propaganda intended to discredit him. Segregationists like Al Gore's father, senator Gore fought against civil rights.

Yuppers. Obama and getting born from Selma.

Why do republicans have to justify their support for civil rights when it was the democrat party who fought against it? JFK and his quirky brother authorized Hoover's FBI to illegally spy on MLK and issue propaganda intended to discredit him. Segregationists like Al Gore's father, senator Gore fought against civil rights.

It's a strange history. The Democratic Party was the party of conservatives, confederates and racists. The Republican Party was the party of "liberals". In the 60's, conservatives fled the Democratic party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party. The liberals and blacks fled the Republican Party which is why it's 90% white today and joined the Democratic Party which is probably the largest true coalition party in the world.

It seems that all political threads are circular - they eventually come around to Obama and Clinton...

I see you conveniently forgot to put Bush on your list...

In fact, I'd say Clinton doesn't even qualify for the list of the circularity of political threads these days.

Just Bush and Obama these days...

Selma got me born

My momma got heavy with child in 1961 because four plus years later my papa did her because Selma happened.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5D1bp6ZZ9s]Mark Rubio Lies to America - YouTube[/ame]

SON OF EXILES????????

I never wrote anything about Rubio because I didn't care. People can be mistaken about what went on BEFORE they were born.

But Mitt lied about something he said he personally witnessed. You guys are something else.

Forum List

Back