Little Johnny the Arab

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Mohammad, an Arab child, entered his classroom on the first day of school in Ohio. "What is your name?" asked the teacher. "Mohammad". Answered the kid. "Well, you are in America now. From now on your name will be Johnny," replied the teacher.

In the evening, Mohammad returned home. "How was your day, Mohammad?" asked his mother. "My name is not Mohammad. I'm in America and now my name is Johnny." "Ah, are you ashamed of your name, are you trying to dishonor your parents, your heritage, your religion? Shame on you!" and she beat him. Then she called his father and he, too, beat him.

The next day Mohammad returned to school. When the teacher saw him with all the bruises she asked, "What happened to you little Johnny"?

"Well ma'am, 4 hours after becoming an American, I was attacked by two f**kin' Arabs."

Saudi's buyin' lil' Johnny off...
:redface:
Saudi Arabia Giving Citizens a 15 Percent Raise to Avoid Becoming the Next Libya
Feb 23, 2011 – Call it the Oprah theory of governance: Everyone gets a prize and everyone stays happy.
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has returned to Riyadh after receiving spinal surgery in New York and recovering in Morocco. All told, the 86-year-old monarch has been away from home for three months. Now, Abdullah is offering financial assistance for Saudi Arabia, where unemployment is said to be as high as 40 percent among people ages 15 to 24.

According to the BBC:

[A]mong the measures announced ahead of the king's return were plans to tackle unemployment. ... Meanwhile, state employees are to get a 15% pay rise and the king has reportedly ordered that 40bn riyals ($10.7bn) be pumped into the country's development fund -- which provides interest-free loans to Saudis who want to build homes, get married or start small businesses.

Will that be enough to keep Saudis from launching an anti-government protest of their own? One Middle East expert told AOL News that it's not the most original approach to maintaining stability:

"The Saudi regime thinks it can buy off its own people with cash. This might work as a stopgap measure, but it suggests the total lack of real political vision," Shadi Hamid, director of research at the Brookings Doha Center, wrote in an e-mail to AOL News. "Egyptian, Tunisian and Libyan leaders tried that gambit, and all failed. Saudi Arabia remains an unlikely candidate for mass unrest, but, of course, that's what they said about Tunisia too." Indeed, Saudis have been inspired by the uprisings that have unfolded in their region. NPR says political debate is more open and vibrant than ever, and many Saudis, especially young people, are eager to talk about reform:

[22-year-old Duraa] Ali was studying in Bahrain when the protests began there. She was thrilled by the demands of Shiite protesters who challenged the Sunni royal family -- and disturbed by the violent reaction to those demands. ... Ali says she wants the same things the protesters in Bahrain want. "Honestly, yes. But like Egypt ... I don't know the English word." Peaceful? "Yep, peaceful, that's it," she says. "Peaceful" will be the word oil analysts hope to hear if unrest does spread through Saudi Arabia. The oil-rich OPEC nation has pledged to help fill the oil supply shortfall created by turmoil in Libya, so if Saudi Arabia's oil supply is cut off by political upheaval, oil and gas prices could soar once again.

Source

New Topics

Forum List

Back