Little Girls And A Rainbow Party

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I am simply amazed. First it's Oprah...now a book.

------
Here's a rich irony: I'm writing today about a new children's book, but I can't describe the plot in a family newspaper without warning you first that it is entirely inappropriate for children.

The book is "Rainbow Party" by juvenile fiction author Paul Ruditis. The publisher is Simon Pulse, a kiddie lit division of the esteemed Simon & Schuster. The cover of the book features the title spelled out in fun, Crayola-bright font. Beneath the title is an illustrated array of lipsticks in bold colors.

The main characters in the book are high school sophomores supposedly typical 14- and 15-year-olds with names such as "Gin" and "Sandy." The book opens with these two girls shopping for lipstick at the mall in advance of a special party. The girls banter as they hunt for lipsticks in every color of the rainbow:

"Okay, we've got red, orange, and purple," Gin said. "Now we just need yellow, green, and blue."
"Don't forget indigo," Sandy said as she scanned the row of lipstick tubes.
"What are you talking about?"
"Indigo," Sandy repeated as if that explained everything. "You know. ROY G. BIV. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet."
"That's seven lipsticks. Only six girls are coming. We don't need it."

What kind of party do you imagine they might be organizing? Perhaps a makeover party? With moms and daughters sharing their best beauty secrets and bonding in the process?

Alas, no. No parents are invited to this get-together. A "rainbow party," you see, is a gathering of boys and girls for the purpose of engaging in group oral sex. Each girl wears a different colored lipstick and leaves a mark on each boy. At night's end, the boys proudly sport their own cosmetically-sealed rainbow you-know-where bringing a whole new meaning to the concept of "party favors."

Why on earth would a publisher market such smut to kids? Says author Ruditis:

Ruditis says the book was never meant to sensationalize sex parties. "We just wanted to present an issue kids are dealing with," he says.

Moreover, Ruditis told Publisher's Weekly:

"Part of me doesn't understand why people don't want to talk about [oral sex]," he said. "Kids are having sex and they are actively engaged in oral sex and think it's not really sex. I raised questions in my book and I hope that parents and children or teachers and students can open a topic of conversation through it. Rainbow parties are such an interesting topic. It's such a childlike way to look at such an adult subject with rainbow colors."

You can't make this stuff up. Or can you? Some have downplayed the phenomenon as apocryphal, but that didn't stop Oprah Winfrey from having one of her magazine editors blabbing and giggling about it in explicit language on a show ostensibly teaching parents about their children's "code language." A transcript of the exchange is up at Howard Stern's website.

For once, I agree with Stern, who points out a glaring regulatory double standard. Oprah's broadcast (on daytime network TV, accessible to children) was as indecent and titillating as anything Stern puts on the air. Why should she be allowed to hide behind the disingenuous guise of "education" while Stern faces a crackdown for vulgar entertainment?

But back to the book. The author and publisher pay lip service to the informational value of the book to families, teachers, and students. In the end, the main characters abandon plans for the event and news of an epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases rocks their school. But as I point out, the front cover and book marketing (not to mention the inclusion of frequent profanities and other graphic sex scenes that I couldn't include in the column) emphasize titillation over education, overpowering any redeeming value the book might have. Indeed, according to Publisher's Weekly, the bound galleys sent to booksellers carried the provocative tagline, "don't you want to know what really goes down?"

As Ruditis suggests, this book will end up on public school library shelves in the very near future, along with other "educational" crap like this. Those who raise even the least objection are cast as out-of-touch theocrats who need to "deal with reality." Small wonder an increasing number of families are homeschooling.

If "proper socialization" means teaching 14-year-olds about group oral sex, we can only pray that more parents choose to raise social misfits.

------

Someone needs to take Ruditis out back and kick his ass.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/002564.htm

-=d=- said:
geesh...how come I never get invited to the really GOOD parties... :(

Psssst....you should probably say "got" instead of "get" - since the girls are 14 and 15.

-=d=- said:
...but their mothers are there, too, right?

You KNOW you were thinking it, too bro.. :D

:laugh:

I actually did think about a party I went to when I was 17. Two girls who liked me were there and I sort of snuck off with each one of them .... many times throughout the night.

Thought I was the shit.

Then I read this.

Guess I was just a little fart.

GotZoom said:
I actually did think about a party I went to when I was 17. Two girls who liked me were there and I sort of snuck off with each one of them .... many times throughout the night.

Thought I was the shit.

Then I read this.

You're a pimp...Girls would never talk to me when I was 17. :( Sometimes, not even my girlfriend. :(

GotZoom said:

Thought I was the shit.

Then I read this.

I thought I was big time at 18 when I had two girls, one in each arm, making out with both.

I guess I was a little fart too. :(

Good ol' F***ing Bill Clinton started this whole line of crap when he used the defense that oral sex wasn't really sex.... that's how he got away with perjury

Now everyone is actually stupid enough to believe this...

Everyone, that is, except the HIV virus, clamydia, gonorhea, syphllis......

they're not buying it and still making people sick......

thanks alot President SOB Clinton.... America's teenagers will be thanking you on their deathbeds, sickbeds and from the surgical recovery rooms when they have hysterectomies at the age of 18 because their insides are all eaten up by these diseases and make them sterile for life....

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
KarlMarx said:
Good ol' F***ing Bill Clinton started this whole line of crap when he used the defense that oral sex wasn't really sex....
Ta-Da!!!

Joz said:

Perjury
Subornation of Perjury
Obstruction of Justice
Rape
Sexual Harrassment

and now.....

murder and
endangering the welfare of children

Oh, I'm sorry, he and his wife did what they did "for the children".... didn't they?

KarlMarx said:
Oh, I'm sorry, he and his wife did what they did "for the children".... didn't they?

Yes they did....after all, it takes a village.

And they are the village idiots.

KarlMarx said:
Good ol' F***ing Bill Clinton
This is a prime example of the respect issue we were discussing yesterday.
I would speak to this man respectfully because he was a president of the USA. I do not respect him.

Joz said:
This is a prime example of the respect issue we were discussing yesterday.
I would speak to this man respectfully because he was a president of the USA. I do not respect him.

Anyone who served in the military is familiar with this...you are taught : to respect the rank even if you do not respect the person...sad but true! :usa:

archangel said:
Anyone who served in the military is familiar with this...you are taught : to respect the rank even if you do not respect the person...sad but true! :usa:

OK.... granted

Back in the 1990s, when Clinton was being attacked by the Right, many liberals objected on these very grounds.... after all he was the President of the United States

Too bad those lying hypocritical bastards have forgotten....

now Bush is Hitler, Bush is stupid, Bush is ugly, Bush is AWOL, Bush is simple, Bush is a crook......

Actually, they haven't forgotten a thing.....

There are two sets of rules.... one for them and one for the rest of us.....

And they lie to us because they think we're stupid sheep to be led around by the nose.....

And the book that started this whole thread just proves what I just said!!!!

KarlMarx said:
OK.... granted

Back in the 1990s, when Clinton was being attacked by the Right, many liberals objected on these very grounds.... after all he was the President of the United States

Too bad those lying hypocritical bastards have forgotten....

now Bush is Hitler, Bush is stupid, Bush is ugly, Bush is AWOL, Bush is simple, Bush is a crook......

Actually, they haven't forgotten a thing.....

There are two sets of rules.... one for them and one for the rest of us.....

And they lie to us because they think we're stupid sheep to be led around by the nose.....

And the book that started this whole thread just proves what I just said!!!!

I'm with ya on this...I cannot remember the number of times I told a superior officer while serving in the military...I respect your rank...but not you! :usa:

KarlMarx said:
Good ol' F***ing Bill Clinton started this whole line of crap when he used the defense that oral sex wasn't really sex.... that's how he got away with perjury

Now everyone is actually stupid enough to believe this...

Everyone, that is, except the HIV virus, clamydia, gonorhea, syphllis......

they're not buying it and still making people sick......

thanks alot President SOB Clinton.... America's teenagers will be thanking you on their deathbeds, sickbeds and from the surgical recovery rooms when they have hysterectomies at the age of 18 because their insides are all eaten up by these diseases and make them sterile for life....

Don't forget one of the most common, genital warts. Estimated 70% of women have or carry this incurable virus. These can grow in the throat and lungs, too, slowly cutting off the air supply. In the throat, they can be surgically removed, but in the lungs, not much can be done. Oral sex seems to me like a great way to get them in those areas.

mom4 said:
.....Estimated 70% of women have or carry this incurable virus.
Man that's an awful lot! I had NO idea!! Here I worry about AIDS for the youngin's and look at this. All I could find is that there are 15.3 million new STD cases yearly. I keep trying to think of something to say & all I do is look at that number.

Forum List

Back