little boy to his motherS I want to be a girl

Dr. Johanna Olson runs the Transgender Youth Clinic at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, one of the most highly regarded centers in the country for kids like Jackie. It has treated approximately 600 transgender kids.

"We often ask parents, Would you rather have a dead son than a live daughter? … These kids have a suicide rate that is astronomical compared to any other group," she said.

Olson says you can't force kids to be a gender they don't think they are. Gender identity isn't a choice; it's set at birth. Kids know whether they're a boy or a girl on the inside by the age of three or four.
Transgender Kids Pioneer Early Changes to Identity, Body - ABC News

Okay - what about a middle of the road approach? Let the child live as the gender they identify with, as much as possible, without any medical treatment. Like Shiloh Jolie-Pitt. She identifies as male. So she has the short hair, the boys clothes (including swim trunks), wants to be called by a boy name ... so why not? Love and accept them as they are, and promise you'll be there for them no matter what, but it's better for them to actually make that decision as an adult.

Thats fine, depending on the reasons the child wants it done.

But it's not the same thing as medically altering a child's body for the rest of their life.

I know. That's why I referred to it as "middle of the road."

My point exactly. Some of the posters on this thread have an ax to grind because the parents are lesbian. Their presumption is the parents are making the wrong call because they are lesbian.

They're making the wrong call because they are making the wrong call.

I don't care what version of plumbing they prefer.

YOU don't get to make that call. THEY DO. It's their kid, not yours. They are the parents.

That's my point. One size fits all decisions don't work for transgender kids. It has to be taken on a case by case basis.

How can two lezzies both be the parents? :eek:

The child in the OP is far from emotionally stable. Maybe you should read before you post?

Just a thought.
I would recommend the opposite advice: stop "reading" things that aren't actually there. I in no way stated anything about this situation whatsoever, including but not limited to the emotional stability or the child or parents. My point was simple: generalizing a bad conclusion to the entirety of the gay community based on the actions of ONE couple is ridiculous. Try not to read between lines that you made up.

So the OP believes that laws should be passed to ban all gay adoption based on the actions of one couple? ONE couple? No no, let's not draw conclusions about that one couple, but instead generalize them to the entire population. Smart. Because straight parents have never done any wrong by their children?

Ridiculous.

Meanwhile, large scale studies show that children raised by gay couples are emotionally more stable than their peers, and make higher incomes when older.
Link?
academically better and emotionally more stable: Kids with Lesbian Parents May Do Better Than Their Peers - TIME
huh. can't seem to find the study on income. I'll retract that one, but remaining points still stand.

This is another perverse creation of the American Accept-o-thon.
I may have missed it, but has anyone in this thread asked you to accept such medical treatment for an 11 year old?

The child in the OP is far from emotionally stable. Maybe you should read before you post?

Just a thought.
I would recommend the opposite advice: stop "reading" things that aren't actually there. I in no way stated anything about this situation whatsoever, including but not limited to the emotional stability or the child or parents. My point was simple: generalizing a bad conclusion to the entirety of the gay community based on the actions of ONE couple is ridiculous. Try not to read between lines that you made up.

For your review.

Meanwhile, large scale studies show that children raised by gay couples are emotionally more stable than their peers, and make higher incomes when older.

Just a thought.
The child in the OP is far from emotionally stable.

They're making the wrong call because they are making the wrong call.

I don't care what version of plumbing they prefer.

YOU don't get to make that call. THEY DO. It's their kid, not yours. They are the parents.

That's my point. One size fits all decisions don't work for transgender kids. It has to be taken on a case by case basis.

How can two lezzies both be the parents? :eek:

I don't know about you... but ive seen some fucked up heterosexuals being "parents" I could ask the same thing.... how can those two hetors be the parents.

Dr. Johanna Olson runs the Transgender Youth Clinic at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, one of the most highly regarded centers in the country for kids like Jackie. It has treated approximately 600 transgender kids.

"We often ask parents, Would you rather have a dead son than a live daughter? … These kids have a suicide rate that is astronomical compared to any other group," she said.

Olson says you can't force kids to be a gender they don't think they are. Gender identity isn't a choice; it's set at birth. Kids know whether they're a boy or a girl on the inside by the age of three or four.
Transgender Kids Pioneer Early Changes to Identity, Body - ABC News

Okay - what about a middle of the road approach? Let the child live as the gender they identify with, as much as possible, without any medical treatment. Like Shiloh Jolie-Pitt. She identifies as male. So she has the short hair, the boys clothes (including swim trunks), wants to be called by a boy name ... so why not? Love and accept them as they are, and promise you'll be there for them no matter what, but it's better for them to actually make that decision as an adult.

Hear! Hear!

Just a thought.

For your review.

Just a thought.
The child in the OP is far from emotionally stable.

the child in the OP could be committed in a mental institution. generalizing the emotional stability of one person in ANY group onto the ENTIRE group is foolish, especially when larger studies on such a group show the exact opposite finding. you seem to still be missing this point.

Forum List

Back