Literacy Tests?

I think its already null. As I read it, the Constitution, with its various amendments, guarantee the right to vote to all citizens 18 and up. No literacy tests, no diploma, no title deed, no taxes, no nothing can stand up to that.

Originally posted by jon_forward
why not keep it sort of simple. If you graduate from the 12th grade with a diploma(not a certificate of completion) you may vote. This simple test would pretty much rule out the mid to deep south power base of the Democrats. The party of the hand-outs instead of the hand ups would be no more.
What a racist!

In 2000, the status dropout rate for Asian/Pacific Islander young adults was lower than for young adults from all other racial/ethnic groups. The status rate for Asian/Pacific Islanders was 3.8 percent compared with 27.8 percent for Hispanics, 13.1 percent for Blacks, and 6.9 percent for Whites.

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2002/droppub_2001/

You just want to keep blacks and hispanics from voteing

Originally posted by Big D
What a racist!

In 2000, the status dropout rate for Asian/Pacific Islander young adults was lower than for young adults from all other racial/ethnic groups. The status rate for Asian/Pacific Islanders was 3.8 percent compared with 27.8 percent for Hispanics, 13.1 percent for Blacks, and 6.9 percent for Whites. You just want to keep blacks and hispanics from voteing

Requiring prospective voters to have diplomas in order to vote is not being racist. By doing so, you are not telling Whites or Blacks that they are not allowed to vote. You are saying that if you want to vote, you must have a diploma. If a Black wants to vote, he must get his diploma. The Blacks would be denying themselves the chance to vote if they do not graduate. They are the ones to make the choice.

Originally posted by Semper Fi

And Im wondering, what is the politcally correct term for a person with dark skin? Negro is frowned upon, AA is segratory, in a way. Black is the only real choice, but its a bit harsh, in my opinion. But you cant say 'the blacks' without being a racist or a redneck in the eyes of the common American. I dont know, I just avoid it alltogether.

Usage Note: The Oxford English Dictionary contains evidence of the use of black with reference to African peoples as early as 1400, and certainly the word has been in wide use in racial and ethnic contexts ever since. However, it was not until the late 1960s that black (or Black) gained its present status as a self-chosen ethnonym with strong connotations of racial pride, replacing the then-current Negro among Blacks and non-Blacks alike with remarkable speed. Equally significant is the degree to which Negro became discredited in the process, reflecting the profound changes taking place in the Black community during the tumultuous years of the civil rights and Black Power movements. The recent success of African American offers an interesting contrast in this regard. Though by no means a modern coinage, African American achieved sudden prominence at the end of the 1980s when several Black leaders, including Jesse Jackson, championed it as an alternative ethnonym for Americans of African descent. The appeal of this term is obvious, alluding as it does not to skin color but to an ethnicity constructed of geography, history, and culture, and it won rapid acceptance in the media alongside similar forms such as Asian American, Hispanic American, and Italian American. But unlike what happened a generation earlier, African American has shown little sign of displacing or discrediting black, which remains both popular and positive. The difference may well lie in the fact that the campaign for African American came at a time of relative social and political stability, when Americans in general and Black Americans in particular were less caught up in issues involving radical change than they were in the 1960s. ·Black is sometimes capitalized in its racial sense, especially in the African-American press, though the lowercase form is still widely used by authors of all races. The capitalization of Black does raise ancillary problems for the treatment of the term white. Orthographic evenhandedness would seem to require the use of uppercase White, but this form might be taken to imply that whites constitute a single ethnic group, an issue that is certainly debatable. Uppercase White is also sometimes associated with the writings of white supremacist groups, a sufficient reason of itself for many to dismiss it. On the other hand, the use of lowercase white in the same context as uppercase Black will obviously raise questions as to how and why the writer has distinguished between the two groups. There is no entirely happy solution to this problem. In all likelihood, uncertainty as to the mode of styling of white has dissuaded many publications from adopting the capitalized form Black.
www.dictionary.com

We should focus on voter awareness, both getting more people to vote and educating people about the candidates and the electoral process.

There is no legal justification for forcing people to pass a test or an interview in order to vote. That would be quite un-American.

All standards must be lowered if blacks and hispanics are going to be able to participate in a civil socity.

All standards must be lowered if blacks and hispanics are going to be able to participate in a civil socity.

We have had over a generation of low standards for Blacks and Hispanics. We have and quotas, AA, and a variety of programs geared to help them. I think that a different approach should be taken. Blacks and Hispanics should be greatly encouraged to do well. They have been subtly (and not so subtly) told that they can't do as well as others and that it would be best for them to do practically nothing but expect handouts (in one form or another). Many Blacks and Hispanics are participating in a civil society. It is time to show role models and success stories. We should provide them with advice on how they can seize every legitimate opportunity to improve their lives.

Originally posted by mattskramer
We should provide them with advice on how they can seize every legitimate opportunity to improve their lives.
Who is this "WE" that your talking about? I hope your are not claiming white superiority in some way.

Who is this "WE" that your talking about? I hope your are not claiming white superiority in some way.

I mean "we" as in successful Black and Hispanic businessmen, teachers, parents, and anyone who is in a position of influence and/or authority.

Originally posted by mattskramer
I mean "we" as in successful Black and Hispanic businessmen, teachers, parents, and anyone who is in a position of influence and/or authority.
Man, if we have to teach blacks and hispanics about how to help out their youth, how primitive is that?

Man, if we have to teach blacks and hispanics about how to help out their youth, how primitive is that?

How primitive is the household in which your children are being raised?

What a racist!

In 2000, the status dropout rate for Asian/Pacific Islander young adults was lower than for young adults from all other racial/ethnic groups. The status rate for Asian/Pacific Islanders was 3.8 percent compared with 27.8 percent for Hispanics, 13.1 percent for Blacks, and 6.9 percent for Whites.

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2002/droppub_2001/

You just want to keep blacks and hispanics from voteing
by way of having a VALID high school diploma one could reasonable assume that the person holding said diploma has a brain and has shown they know what its for and how to use it. also having a HS diploma would open doors not now open to them. ie....better jobs and higher education. where in my post was there any mention of race?????? There are dumbasses all over the USA that believe what moore portreys in his movie. I have to wonder how many have a funtioning brain and at what level they stopped their education. my best guess would be before the 8th grade

Originally posted by jon_forward
by way of having a VALID high school diploma one could reasonable assume that the person holding said diploma has a brain and has shown they know what its for and how to use it. also having a HS diploma would open doors not now open to them. ie....better jobs and higher education. where in my post was there any mention of race?????? There are dumbasses all over the USA that believe what moore portreys in his movie. I have to wonder how many have a funtioning brain and at what level they stopped their education. my best guess would be before the 8th grade
Jon, blacks are already screaming racism because most convicted felons are black and convicted felons are not allowed to vote.
If you make it illegal for high school dropouts to vote too, barely any blacks would be allowed to vote legaly.

Originally posted by nycflasher
How primitive is the household in which your children are being raised?
Well, we are cooking with fire tonight.

Forum List

Back