List some good science fiction movies.

Which War of the Worlds? I liked the 1953 Byron Haskin's version over the one starring Tom Cruise.

Then go with that one. I would have said either will do as I liked both.

(Was it Tom C. in the newer one? I truly don't know/recall who starred in it. I just recall liking it.)
Yeah, it was Cruise. There was nothing wrong with it per se. Just didn't feel right to Me.

Actually it just wasn't a very good film- I am fine with Tom Cruise- but that movie pretty much sucked.

Edge of Tomorrow is a far better Cruise SF film.
Yeah, I liked Edge of Tomorrow.

Oblivion was pretty good as well.

I never saw Oblivion- hell I don't even remember hearing about Oblivion- I will have to check it out.

Which War of the Worlds? I liked the 1953 Byron Haskin's version over the one starring Tom Cruise.

(Was it Tom C. in the newer one? I truly don't know/recall who starred in it. I just recall liking it.)
Yeah, it was Cruise. There was nothing wrong with it per se. Just didn't feel right to Me.

Actually it just wasn't a very good film- I am fine with Tom Cruise- but that movie pretty much sucked.

I never saw Oblivion- hell I don't even remember hearing about Oblivion- I will have to check it out.
I think you'll like it. Another dystopian SF movie. Significantly slower than Edge of Tomorrow. lol

I liked it. I liked playing the video game too.

I think you'll like it. Another dystopian SF movie. Significantly slower than Edge of Tomorrow. lol

I thought Oblivion was pretty good, but not nearly as good as Edge of Tomorrow.

True. There is a futuristic movie titled "The Circle" that stars Tom Hanks. Starts a bit slow, but isn't too bad for a Tom Hanks movie. LOL

Has Bill Paxton in his last role before he died as the father with multiple sclerosis. He does a very good job of it.

Agreed. I especially liked the way he started to fast forward through his day after he'd been killed a few times. Sometimes, it was funny as hell to watch him tell people what they were going to say and do.

Agreed. I especially liked the way he started to fast forward through his day after he'd been killed a few times. Sometimes, it was funny as hell to watch him tell people what they were going to say and do.

Isn't it sort of like a sci-fi "Ground Hog Day"? (I haven't seen it.) Or would "Ground Hog Day" qualify as sci-fi? :)

Isn't it sort of like a sci-fi "Ground Hog Day"? (I haven't seen it.) Or would "Ground Hog Day" qualify as sci-fi? :)

Kinda, but it's a lot more involved than that. Cruise was attacked by an alien, and because of it, every time he was killed, he went back in time to when he first showed up to serve in the military. And, there is another soldier who also had something like that happen to them, and they are the one that trains Cruise so that he can figure out how to defeat the aliens.

110103anne-francis2.jpg
anne-francis-forbidden-planet.jpg

Look into the works of writer and director Neill Blomkamp.

I think folks overlook his stuff, and his work is rather thought provoking, which is what sci-fi should do. It is original stuff there. He is best known for Chappie , Elysium and District 9.

To get a taste of his work, here is a short he recently did, he is sort of an "outside Hollywood" writer director from S. Africa.

‘District 9’ director confirms that a sequel is in the works
A sequel to 'District 9' is in the works

“ . . . The issue right now is that I have many other projects and ideas that I also want to work on and complete….. and most importantly, the exact right REASON to make district 10 needs be very clear. The first film was based so explicitly on real themes and topics from South Africa that effected me greatly growing up there, that we need to make sure the next film does not forget that.”

But as for now, he’s confirmed that work is underway on The Gone World, an upcoming film based on a 2008 book following the survivors of a devastating global conflict."

Oats Studios - Volume 1 - Zygote

"He has also recently released Zygote, a short sci-fi film starring Dakota Fanning and Jose Pablo Cantillo that you can watch above. . . ."

True. There is a futuristic movie titled "The Circle" that stars Tom Hanks. Starts a bit slow, but isn't too bad for a Tom Hanks movie. LOL

Has Bill Paxton in his last role before he died as the father with multiple sclerosis. He does a very good job of it.

I've heard very bad things about The Circle, so have avoided it.

Well, it's just a movie that is mediocre. LOL

Its set in the near future, so most of the world looks just like this one. Actually, it could be considered a "Corporation out of control with high tech" type movie. Given today's trends in taste that SciFi can't be considered good unless it's some kind of dystopian thing, it's real crime is that it isn't fast-paced. Plus it has Tom Hanks in it, so there is that.:eusa_shifty:

Look into the works of writer and director Neill Blomkamp.

I think folks overlook his stuff, and his work is rather thought provoking, which is what sci-fi should do. It is original stuff there. He is best known for Chappie , Elysium and District 9.

To get a taste of his work, here is a short he recently did, he is sort of an "outside Hollywood" writer director from S. Africa.

‘District 9’ director confirms that a sequel is in the works
A sequel to 'District 9' is in the works

“ . . . The issue right now is that I have many other projects and ideas that I also want to work on and complete….. and most importantly, the exact right REASON to make district 10 needs be very clear. The first film was based so explicitly on real themes and topics from South Africa that effected me greatly growing up there, that we need to make sure the next film does not forget that.”

But as for now, he’s confirmed that work is underway on The Gone World, an upcoming film based on a 2008 book following the survivors of a devastating global conflict."

Oats Studios - Volume 1 - Zygote

"He has also recently released Zygote, a short sci-fi film starring Dakota Fanning and Jose Pablo Cantillo that you can watch above. . . ."

Oh you beat me to it. :laugh:

Well, it's just a movie that is mediocre. LOL

Its set in the near future, so most of the world looks just like this one. Actually, it could be considered a "Corporation out of control with high tech" type movie. Given today's trends in taste that SciFi can't be considered good unless it's some kind of dystopian thing, it's real crime is that it isn't fast-paced. Plus it has Tom Hanks in it, so there is that.:eusa_shifty:
The Circle wasn't very good but I had to watch it for Paxton. Terrible shame he died. And yes he did a fantastic job with that role.

If you're looking for a good science fiction western, I highly recommend the television series "Firefly", or, if you don't want to watch 16 hours of show, simply watch the movie "Serenity" which is a movie version of Firefly.

Too bad that show got taken off of the air, because that was my "must watch" on Saturdays.
I liked firefly. Speaking of TRUE sci-fi westerns, Westworld is great.

Forum List

Back