List some good science fiction movies.

Which War of the Worlds? I liked the 1953 Byron Haskin's version over the one starring Tom Cruise.

Then go with that one. I would have said either will do as I liked both.

(Was it Tom C. in the newer one? I truly don't know/recall who starred in it. I just recall liking it.)

Not the most known ones like Terminator, Bladerunner or 2001 but more obscure titles.

I need a good escape from reality.

One of the best Sci Fi titles to come out of the '50s

'The Day The Earth Stood Still' - 1951

day-the-earth-stood-still-2.jpg

NOTE: Avoid the 2008 re-make like the clap.

Village of the Damned (the original with George Sanders)

The Wicker Man (with Christopher Lee) - not sci-fi per se, but it's really creepy!

If you're looking for a good science fiction western, I highly recommend the television series "Firefly", or, if you don't want to watch 16 hours of show, simply watch the movie "Serenity" which is a movie version of Firefly.

Too bad that show got taken off of the air, because that was my "must watch" on Saturdays.
Yep. Some of the best writing in SciFi television in a long time.

Which War of the Worlds? I liked the 1953 Byron Haskin's version over the one starring Tom Cruise.

(Was it Tom C. in the newer one? I truly don't know/recall who starred in it. I just recall liking it.)
Yeah, it was Cruise. There was nothing wrong with it per se. Just didn't feel right to Me.

Yeah, it was Cruise. There was nothing wrong with it per se. Just didn't feel right to Me.
Yeah, it was Cruise.
TY for the confirmation.
There was nothing wrong with it per se. Just didn't feel right to Me.
Okay. I'm not given to debating which version of a movie be better when I like both versions. LOL

Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim was an interesting one in that it sucked in so many ways, but I've watched it at least 3 times now. Terrible acting. Possibly the worst dialogue I've ever seen in a movie. Unoriginal story. But... one of the funnest sci-fi movies I've ever watched. The visual are amazing. If you can make it through a few minutes of terrible acting and dialogue here and there you'll watch the best monster vs. robot fight scenes ever in a live action movie. And this was a Guillermo del Toro movie. He's a great director, but I get the feeling that all he wanted to do with this one was provide audiences with a fun movie, and he delivered.

If you are looking for an unconventional science fiction movie, I recommend "World's End" with Simon Pegg.

It's about a bunch of Brits who are trying to drink their way along this famed bar crawl, and become aware of aliens that are slowly taking over the bodies of the townspeople.

Lots of bar room humor, and some pretty funny sight gags. If you wanna just veg and see a funny science fiction movie, this one is pretty good.
Worlds End is great...and the other one....with the alien....Paul....great movies both.

Actually it just wasn't a very good film- I am fine with Tom Cruise- but that movie pretty much sucked.

Edge of Tomorrow is a far better Cruise SF film.

Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim was an interesting one in that it sucked in so many ways, but I've watched it at least 3 times now. Terrible acting. Possibly the worst dialogue I've ever seen in a movie. Unoriginal story. But... one of the funnest sci-fi movies I've ever watched. The visual are amazing. If you can make it through a few minutes of terrible acting and dialogue here and there you'll watch the best monster vs. robot fight scenes ever in a live action movie. And this was a Guillermo del Toro movie. He's a great director, but I get the feeling that all he wanted to do with this one was provide audiences with a fun movie, and he delivered.
I have to be honest. I'm not much of a movie critic. My analysis of a movie is really simplistic and binary: I enjoyed watching it or I didn't. Movies are, for me, just entertainment. If I find a movie entertaining enough, I will say I liked it. For me, Pac Rim fits the "I liked it" criteria. All the ones I listed do.

Occasionally, I have watched them looking for something substantive to say, but that is something I did when a teacher (usually English or history) assigned watching a movie as homework. Those days are long gone, and, frankly, I hated having to think critically about a film because, truly, all I really wanted to do was watch it as part of my "vege out" activity, or more aptly, "non-activity."

Last edited:
I liked Independence Day, Ghostbusters, Dune, The Harry Potter movies (though they are probably more fantasy than sci-fi), The Day After Tomorrow, Men in Black, and i Robot.

I didn't mention them before because they hadn't come to mind, but now they have, so I mention them.

Actually it just wasn't a very good film- I am fine with Tom Cruise- but that movie pretty much sucked.

Edge of Tomorrow is a far better Cruise SF film.
Yeah, I liked Edge of Tomorrow.

Oblivion was pretty good as well.

I liked Independence Day, Ghostbusters, Dune, The Harry Potter movies (though they are probably more fantasy than sci-fi), The Day After Tomorrow, Men in Black, and i Robot.

I didn't mention them before because they hadn't come to mind, but now they have, so I mention them.
Independence day was good and so was I, Robot.

If you're looking for something obscure, you could try Circle, a movie from 2015 which is kind of short and sweet, or Radius, a recent movie. They are both low budget, but I found them very watchable. I watched them both because they had actors I knew from other things.

Forum List

Back