List of Worst Acts in the Name of Religion

Did you forget the Holocaust? Germany Crusades to right the Rhinelands of all non-Christians?

Atheist are not without their horrible acts.
Stalin and the Soviets killed 10s of millions of people. Same with Maoist China. Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. People even argue that Hitler was an atheist and the Nazi's were an atheist movement.

Those acts were genocides but not done in the name of religion to my knowledge.

☭proletarian☭;1830363 said:
The worst thing done in the name of religion is the refusal to consider new evidence and honestly search for truth and understanding. It is that glorification of ignorance which leads to so much of the atrocities done in the names of the gods.

Which new evidence is not considered?

They weren't even really a communist movement., The rhetoric was communist, but they wasted no time establish an oligarchy with themselves as the new ruling class.

I'm looking to list as many as I can think of. Help me out if you can. This is in no particular order of deviance.

1. The witch hunts and burnings of early colonial America and medieval Europe.

2. Human Sacrifices of Aztecs, Mayans, Toltecs, Olmecs and other New World tribes.

3. Suicide bombings in the middle east.

4. World Trade Center attacks.

5. The crusades of Christendom

6. The crusades of Islam

7. Death warrants for all who wouldn't worship King Nebuchadnezzar's idols.

8. Islamic genocide of Turks on Armenians

9. Christian genocide of Native Americans who wouldn't convert.

10. Al Qaeda

11. The Gadianton Robbers of ancient America

12. The gladiator "games" of the Roman coliseum in honor of their gods.

13. The coerced marriages in the name of religion.(Islam, Christians, Hindus and other religions have been guilty of this.)

14. Infant baptism doctrine of Roman Catholic Church.

15. The Spanish Inquisition.

16. The execution of Jesus and his apostles

17. The execution of Joseph Smith and many other mormons for being blasphemous.

18. Lynchings of the Ku Klux Klan.

I'm not sure I get the point of this thread. All of these are human acts. Are humans fallible? Sure. I don't think this has anything to do with God.

Of course these are human acts. The excuse the perpetrators used was they were doing god's will.

I'm looking to list as many as I can think of. Help me out if you can. This is in no particular order of deviance.

1. The witch hunts and burnings of early colonial America and medieval Europe.

2. Human Sacrifices of Aztecs, Mayans, Toltecs, Olmecs and other New World tribes.

3. Suicide bombings in the middle east.

4. World Trade Center attacks.

5. The crusades of Christendom

6. The crusades of Islam

7. Death warrants for all who wouldn't worship King Nebuchadnezzar's idols.

8. Islamic genocide of Turks on Armenians

9. Christian genocide of Native Americans who wouldn't convert.

10. Al Qaeda

11. The Gadianton Robbers of ancient America

12. The gladiator "games" of the Roman coliseum in honor of their gods.

13. The coerced marriages in the name of religion.(Islam, Christians, Hindus and other religions have been guilty of this.)

14. Infant baptism doctrine of Roman Catholic Church.

15. The Spanish Inquisition.

16. The execution of Jesus and his apostles

17. The execution of Joseph Smith and many other mormons for being blasphemous.

18. Lynchings of the Ku Klux Klan.

Some of these were not really religiously driven -like Ku Klux Klan lynchings. That was actually Democrat politics at its worst. Blacks weren't killed because of their religion (which was also Christian anyway) -but because of their POLITICS. After the Civil War, liberated blacks voted Republican and not Democrat like their former masters which pissed off the loser Democrats who believed they were justified in terrorizing their former slaves as punishment for not remaining loyal to their former masters. Joseph Smith's death was far more related to his own attempts to gain political control and using violence himself to try and do it - than his own religious beliefs. Arranged marriages have existed for most of man's history -but using religion to justify them does NOT account for most of them. Jousting for increased status and political power did -so those done in the name of religious belief hardly count as being worse than those done to improve a family's status and power. And some of these other examples you have were responsible for killing far fewer people than you probably think. For example, while some -typically the anti-Catholic and anti-religious -claim the Spanish Inquisition killed MILLIONS -it didn't. That kind of stupid claim is made by those ignorant about the fact the total population of Europe and Russia combined was less than many of the hokey claims made about the numbers killed. The most credible estimates relying on the best evidence and not sheer prejudice -put the number between 3,000 and 9,000. Over a 600 year period. Being burned in effigy may have counted as good as the real thing during those times and more burning in effigy took place than the real thing in those times -but it isn't as good as the real thing when adding up real deaths. The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision by Henry Kamen is considered one of the best authoritative sources on this one.

Now would you like to compare those figures with those slaughtered and killed in the name of leftist and left wing political ideology? And we won't need to go trolling ancient history to try and prove my point. No need to go back any further than the last century to figure out which is the TRUE evil and scourge of mankind here. We can start with Lenin and work our way through Stalin, Hitler (and NO, Nazism is not right wing political ideology. One totalitarian state is NOT the political opposite of another one -that is just a disagreement about who is wielding the power of the state -while they all agree in using the force and power of government to control the lives of their citizens. Nazism is LEFT WING ideology as is any form of totalitarianism. ANARCHY -no government control - is right wing political extremism) work our way around to those slaughtered by communist China which continues to rack up its numbers, not forgetting the millions slaughtered by Pol Pot before making an acknowledgment of those slaughtered in the name of left wing political ideology in South America. Left wing extremist political ideology - when it gains real control - typically means government terrorism, deadly purges, gulags, forced labor, fatal deportations, man-made famines, massive numbers of political prisoners, extrajudicial executions, show trials and genocide. Every legitimate attempt to put a number to the massive casualties at the altar of left wing political ideology is estimated between 150,000,000 and 260,000,000. Not so oddly enough, a political ideology that almost always denies the existence of God and has so often tried to actively stamp out religious belief in their populations -even using violence to try and do so. What a record of absolute HORROR with immeasurable agony and misery that can be laid directly at the "altar" of left wing political ideology. That number is nearly all those killed at the hands of their OWN leftist-controlled government. Not exactly in line with their claims that they believe in the use of government force and power to control citizens' lives because they so deeply CARE about the people and think government can take better care of them than they can take care of themselves, huh?

Religion isn't a top contender when it comes to the numbers slaughtered for and by leftist political ideologies - just in a handful of DECADES in the last century alone.

corrections:
The Ku Klux Klan did say they were doing god's will by killing the devil's children(blacks) that makes this act done in the name of religion.

Joseph smith never harmed a fly. I don't know where you got your information from. He was ACCUSED of lots of things and convicted of none. Once the courts found him innocent the mob killed him saying among other excuses that he deserved it because he was a "blasphemer". The mob was also quoted as saying "God help us Kill that damned Jo Smith." Thus his murder qualifies as an atrocity committed in the name of religion.

Also the thread concept is the worst acts you can think of perpetrated in the name of religion. Not necessarily the acts which killed the most people. The murder of one person is just as heinous as the murder of a million.

Hitler was a Christian and he killed the Jews cause it is believed they are responsible for the death of Christ...

The KKK was and still is entirely a christian organization.. Racism is entirely religious based..

Hitler was NOT christian. I don't think he even professed to be. I think the main excuse they gave for the holocaust was because they were not of the Aryan race and were invaders in their homeland and needed to be purged because they were taking over the German economy.

The two thousand year old pogrom against the gays.

The enormously damaging effect of the American Christian "war on science".

why would you choose the term pogrom, which has a REAL meaning and apply it to something wholly unrelated.

that dishonors your subject and the actual experience of people who were subjected to pogroms.

The Taliban's actions rank as some of the worst in the 90s and to date.

Not to mention honor killings by Muslims!

i am a bit confused...why would the baptism of infants rank with the killing of people?

It ranks there for me because the idea behind baptising babies is that if you don't get it done as soon as possible, and that baby dies without baptism, the baby goes to hell. That doctrine is of Satan purely and wholly. It teaches people to resent God, assuming he would be so cruel. This leads to jadedness and an anti-God attitude which has led to so many other attrocites perpetrated by the Godless.

What about the 9/11 attacks?

They were religiously motivated were they not?

Hitler was a Christian and he killed the Jews cause it is believed they are responsible for the death of Christ...

The KKK was and still is entirely a christian organization.. Racism is entirely religious based..

The KKK was and still is an entirely psychotic organization. Racism is entirely race-based.

Hitler, I think was born to a Christian family, but he rebelled against it. He said it was a heavy blow against humanity.

Forum List

Back