List of Opponets To A Gas Tax

Explain to me how an increased gas tax equates to tax cuts for 95% of us? He's such a liar that one!

So far everyone here is missing the big picture.

IT'S ANOTHER GOD DAMN TAX PEOPLE.

All our government seems to know how to do is ask for (and a lot of cases just plain take) more money from the taxpayers. They certianly don't seem to know how to work within a budget. They certainly don't seem to know how to spend efficiently and/or effectively. They are obviously incapable of making difficult financial decisions. When they have a shortfall in money they don't even consider how to make things work with what they have. Their first solution is to come up with yet another asanine tax.

holy crap
do they have any clue what that will do to the price of goods?

:eusa_whistle: I told ya gas would be ten bucks a gallon before you get turned around good. The Democrats are in power now,, better hide yer money. they want it, you owe it to them.. or some such... ready or not here they come!!

:eusa_whistle: I told ya gas would be ten bucks a gallon before you get turned around good. The Democrats are in power now,, better hide yer money. they want it, you owe it to them.. or some such... ready or not here they come!!

Lordy, lordy. Gas was a bit over a dollar a gallon when Bush took office. It was up to $4.50 at one point here. So if the Dems raise the gas tax a dollar, that will be far less than the oil companies got us for.

At present, our Interstates need much work. If the present taxes do not cover the cost of the need, then we should close down a few Interstates, and determine which ones that we can afford to maintain. That is a sane alternative to more taxes. Of course, if we find we need those Interstates, then perhaps an increase in the gas taxes is not that unreasonable.

Lordy, lordy. Gas was a bit over a dollar a gallon when Bush took office. It was up to $4.50 at one point here. So if the Dems raise the gas tax a dollar, that will be far less than the oil companies got us for.

At present, our Interstates need much work. If the present taxes do not cover the cost of the need, then we should close down a few Interstates, and determine which ones that we can afford to maintain. That is a sane alternative to more taxes. Of course, if we find we need those Interstates, then perhaps an increase in the gas taxes is not that unreasonable.

Except gas is not going to stay where it is. In reality right now it probably is too cheap. The oil companies didn't 'get you' for anything. They sold a product there was high demand for which allows them to raise the price. Pretty simple concept. If the oil companies were 'getting us', gas should be more expensive than it is now.

And have you considered one reason our interestates aren't getting the attention we deserve is due to how incredibily innefficient government is at doing much of anything? I am willing to bet the money government gets to build roads is more than enough for a private organization to accomplish the same thing. Wouldn't be prudent to make sure our government has some transparency and shows that is spending those dollars as efficiently as possible before we do the sheep dance and just hand them another wad of cash?

Last edited:

It's not much over a dollar a gallon right now.

I wonder if the CAFE standards the government forced on the auto companies had anything to do with lost tax collection from gasoline sales?

Oh, and can anybody explain the sense in this to me? If gasoline taxes are for the roads for the cars to use, what's the point of bicycle lanes? Why don't bicyclists pay for their own roads through a bicycle tax?

Just want to add this,
Jan 22nd 2001 the price of gas was $1.47.
I filled up last night for $1.53
That's a whopping 4% over the last 8 years.

All our government seems to know how to do is ask for (and a lot of cases just plain take) more money from the taxpayers. They certianly don't seem to know how to work within a budget. They certainly don't seem to know how to spend efficiently and/or effectively. They are obviously incapable of making difficult financial decisions. When they have a shortfall in money they don't even consider how to make things work with what they have. Their first solution is to come up with yet another asanine tax.

Don't say "everyone." :eusa_eh:

Sure. Try to play it off as nothing. A BIG reason a lot of us started breathign again is because it's down to $1.50. What we should do is close down some Federal handout program to pay for the roads.

And in case you missed it, they try and in many instances succeed in tolling new roads. Plus you want to smokescreen another buck a gallon for the Fed to misspend.

Clear thinking at its finest.

Believe me when I tell you they have been stealing that gas and diesel tax for years.

Think about this:

There are approx. 4 million heavy trucks in the U.S. that pay nearly 40 billion dollars in fuel tax.

But :

A third option the committee might consider is how much of the money raised from the gas tax actually is spent on roads and bridges. Information presented to the panel showed that as much as $46 million in motor-fuel tax revenue goes to other programs and isn't available for highways.

The above paragraph apears in the google cashed web page (highlighted in yellow).

It applies to South Dakota, but many states divert funds from there fuel tax revenue to support other projcts.

Link to the google cashed page

Article website

Last edited:
Tell that to the people of the US whose homes were foreclosed on last year when the price of gas spiked and they suddenly weren't treading water. But you'd happily pile on because that's just the kind of goober you are.

Can you ask a question that makes sense?

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: You got that right.

How the hell do these doorknobs get elected? If they are in charge of a budget, shouldn't they know something about . . . budgeting?? How do they run their households; what do they do when they overspend at home? Oh yeah, give themselves a raise. :rolleyes:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: You got that right.

How the hell do these doorknobs get elected? If they are in charge of a budget, shouldn't they know something about . . . budgeting?? How do they run their households; what do they do when they overspend at home? Oh yeah, give themselves a raise. :rolleyes:

Okay not EVERYBODY is missing the big picture, but many are and I brought it up because it hadn't really been pointed out in the thread yet. I am so frustrated with the myriad taxes or government comes up with to get more money. Figuring out ways to spend less and spend more efficiently I'm sure doesn't even cross any representative's mind.

Forum List

Back