-List of Offensive Words That Should be Avoided

brokenarrow

Rookie
Apr 20, 2011
...The following is a checklist of words, many objectionable, that we must be aware of in order to avoid offending and perpetuating stereotypes. This guide defines the preferred word usage and clarifies words that may be used as substitutes. Derogatory or objectionable terms also are listed and are cross is unavoidable -- as in direct quote --- there should be sufficient context so the reader is never in doubt as to why the language was used. Many of the words in this list will offend. The list is not intended to be a guide for the bigot but to alert us that certain words and phrases are simply unacceptable​
. The list is but
a starting point. As social attitudes change and definitions are refined the list must be updated.

African: Refers to people or language of a continent, not a country. Of or pertaining to Africa or its people or languages. Do not use as a synonym for black.

African-American: Also used for black. Preferred by some, but not universally accepted. May be objectionable to those persons preferring black.

Amazon: Used to characterize women as predators of men. Also refers to size
. Should be avoided.

American Indian: Interchangeable wit Native American. Ask person to determine usage if possible
. Use proper tribal name if possible. Such words as "wampum," "warpath," "powwow," "tepee," "brave," "squaw," etc. can be disparaging and offensive. Avoid them.

Anglo: Used interchangeably wit white in parts of the country, in others white is preferred. Always capitalized. No hyphen when the word that follows as in lowercase, such as Anglomania, Anglophile, or Anglophobe
. Use a hyphen when the word that follows is capitalized: Anglo-American, Anglo-Catholic, Anglo-Indian, or Anglo-Saxon.

Arabs: Not interchangeable with Arab-American. Also, Iranians are not Arabs.

Articulate: Can be considered offensive when referring to a minority, particularly a black person, and his or her ability to handle the English language
. The usage suggests the "those people" are not considered welleducated,articulate, and the like.

Asian-American: The preferred generic term for Americans of Asian descent. Be specific when referring to particular Asian-American groups, i.e​
. Filipino-Americans, Japanese-Americans, and Chinese-Americans.

Asian: Not interchangeable with Asian-American. Refers specifically to things or people from Asia. Some Asians regard "Asiatic" as offensive when applied to people

More at:
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/flp/confere...araWhite_Different Cultures and Languages.pdf

For when you guys run out of words to insult each other with!

So it's offensive to say one bought a book on Amazon?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Conservative
Republican
Irreducible complexity
GOP
Weapons of Mass Destruction
Before the smoking gun becomes a mushroom cloud

Marine Corps Dictionary:
Dick Cheese
Term used for someone of little of no value as a person or a member of a unit or team.

Smegma (Greek smēgma, "soap"[1]) is a combination of exfoliated (shed) epithelial cells, transudated skin oils, and moisture. It occurs in both female and male mammalian genitalia.

:eek:

NASTY GROSS!!!!!

Well, now at least I know!

Marine Corps Dictionary:
Dick Cheese
Term used for someone of little of no value as a person or a member of a unit or team.

Smegma (Greek smēgma, "soap"[1]) is a combination of exfoliated (shed) epithelial cells, transudated skin oils, and moisture. It occurs in both female and male mammalian genitalia.

:eek:

NASTY GROSS!!!!!

Well, now at least I know!

See I told you.

Words are, in themselves, devoid of offence.

It is ALWAYS the percieved intent behind the world which offends.

Words are, in themselves, devoid of offence.

It is ALWAYS the percieved intent behind the world which offends.

Not really... words are given meaning both by their intent and by their historical or cultural connotations. (e.g. "******" is offensive because it was used along with violence and force to keep African Americans slaves, and to keep whites in power.) You say that "It is ALWAYS the perceived intent behind the world which offends." However, if I walked up to you and said "I think you're a really smart guy," you would not feel offended, even if I had intended to offend you. This is because the cultural connotation of "smart" is positive.

Forum List

Back