SEC Champions
BCS National Champions

SEC West Co-Champions (w/ CG berth)

SEC West Champions
SEC Champions
BCS National Champions

SEC West Champions
SEC Champions

Can't get a first down until the 3rd quarter?

Been watching fooiotball for 50 years .

not impressive

More impressive is the fact that LSU stunk it up in the first half but was able to turn it on with relative ease and hang 42 on Georgia while they didn't score again.

Does LSU send you a check or something? Why do you care?

Besides, this is how it works in the NFL Minor Leagues: Schools get good, go to bowl games, reap the profits, get busted for violations, get suspensions, new teams step up in their absence and do the same thing.

I think this is done for two reasons:
1. Gotta' spread the money around.
2. Gotta' keep up the appearance of a clean game.

I'm thinking some corrupt "Don King like" character runs the whole thing and I wouldn't be surprised if it's all figured out ahead of time just like a Don King boxing match. I said a while back on these forums that you were gonna' get an LSU vs Alabama title game whether anyone liked it or not and I was right. Why? TV Ratings. Because who is gonna' tune in and watch TCU vs Boise St.? No one.

Impossible you say? Yeah, Congress participates in massive insider trading but College Football doesn't? Right!

Enjoy your "game".

Last edited:
More impressive is the fact that LSU stunk it up in the first half but was able to turn it on with relative ease and hang 42 on Georgia while they didn't score again.

We don't think of it as stinking up.

This is just my opinion - but it is based on having seen every game thus far.

It appears that Les's strategy with the tougher opponents is to at first, simply hold them at bay. Prevent them from putting up a big lead. Play semi-conservatively. Feel them out.

Then at half time him and the coaching staff and the team talk about what they've learned about what the opponent is doing, figure out ways to exploit their weaknesses, etc. But the most important factor seems to be that LSU continues to play with full force throughout the game while the other guy is wearing out. Eventually a small lead is taken - and when a lot of coaches would dial it back and hope to just hold their lead - instead Les dials it up, making more aggressive play calling on both offense and defense - to gain an decisive lead as quickly as possible.

That's just my theory.

Besides, this is how it works in the NFL Minor Leagues: Schools get good, go to bowl games, reap the profits, get busted for violations, get suspensions, new teams step up in their absence and do the same thing.

I'm thinking some corrupt "Don King like" character runs the whole thing and I wouldn't be surprised if it's all figured out ahead of time just like a Don King boxing match. I said a while back on these forums that you were gonna' get an LSU vs Alabama title game whether anyone liked it or not and I was right. Why? TV Ratings. Because who is gonna' tune in and watch TCU vs Boise St.? No one.

Impossible you say? Yeah, Congress participates in massive insider trading but College Football doesn't? Right!

Enjoy your "game".

TCU and Boise St. aren't in the title game because neither of them is the #1 team in the country. By any metric. TCU - really? They finished 10-2, do you even follow college football?

DUH

Why do folks who aren't college football fans like to stick their noses into it and whine about it?

SEC Champions

SEC Champions
BCS National Champions

SEC West Champions
SEC Champions
BCS National Champions

SEC West Champions
SEC Champions

USC was the real Champion in 2003 and 2006

USC did not play in a National Championship Game in 2003. They also do not have a crystal football trophy from that year.

They lost two games in 2006 and weren't named #1 in any poll. Where the fuck did that even come from?

Enjoy your "game".

TCU and Boise St. aren't in the title game because neither of them is the #1 team in the country. By any metric. TCU - really? They finished 10-2, do you even follow college football?

DUH

Why do folks who aren't college football fans like to stick their noses into it and whine about it?

Media and ESPN are just tools of the SEC.

Enjoy your "game".

DUH

Media and ESPN are just tools of the SEC.

So its ESPN whose been rigging the game to make sure that the National Championship Game is won by an SEC school 7 out of 13 times? If you'll recall, in all other 7 BCS National Championships in which only one of the schools was SEC - Tennessee (1), LSU (2), Florida (2), Alabama (1), Auburn (1) - THEIR OPPONENT WAS NOT. The media likes the SEC because they are the premier college football conference. 5 different SEC schools on 7 different occasions have beaten top rated teams from other conferences on the field of play in a national championship game. It was only inevitable that one day, the NC would be 2 SEC schools. And this will be the first and only time an SEC school has lost the BCS NC game!

SEC Champions

SEC Champions
BCS National Champions

SEC West Champions
SEC Champions
BCS National Champions

SEC West Champions
SEC Champions

USC did not play in a National Championship Game in 2003. They also do not have a crystal football trophy from that year.

They lost two games in 2006 and weren't named #1 in any poll. Where the fuck did that even come from?

I said true Champion(ie best team). LSU was voted in but SEC owns the media.

I said true Champion(ie best team). LSU was voted in but SEC owns the media.

??? 2003? That's not even true! USC was #1 in both polls. USC got knocked out because of the computers. The sportswriters wanted USC v LSU - the computers delivers Oklahoma v LSU.

not impressive

At any point in those 50 years did you come to realize 1st downs don't count for points?

You have a point. My alma mater had just 7 first downs winning the state high school title game 35-16. But thats all they needed - it was sort of an LSU- type win.

But usually they are a very prolific offense - 20 plus first down games are routine - in 48 minute games.

LSUs offense doesnt scare anybody.

not impressive

At any point in those 50 years did you come to realize 1st downs don't count for points?

You have a point. My alma mater had just 7 first downs winning the state high school title game 35-16. But thats all they needed - it was sort of an LSU- type win.

But usually they are a very prolific offense - 20 plus first down games are routine - in 48 minute games.

LSUs offense doesnt scare anybody.

They don't need to scare you, they just wear you down. Its the defense and special teams that should scare you.

LSU doesn't need to blow teams out in the first quarter. They know their team will still be playing at a high level in the 3rd & 4th quarters, while the other team is barely able to slow them down.

LSU has some great players. So do lots of teams. But what LSU has that most don't is incredible depth and amazing conditioning.

Thats why the games look close in the beginning but turn into blowouts.

As for the media and ESPN being tools of the SEC, you have it wrong. The media and ESPN don't love the SEC and make them champions. They follow the SEC because they know that is likely to be where the champion is coming from.

LSU doesn't need to blow teams out in the first quarter. They know their team will still be playing at a high level in the 3rd & 4th quarters, while the other team is barely able to slow them down.

LSU has some great players. So do lots of teams. But what LSU has that most don't is incredible depth and amazing conditioning.

Thats why the games look close in the beginning but turn into blowouts.

As for the media and ESPN being tools of the SEC, you have it wrong. The media and ESPN don't love the SEC and make them champions. They follow the SEC because they know that is likely to be where the champion is coming from.

Exactly on all points.

If the last 5 NC's had SEC schools that lost to non-SEC schools - it might be justifiable to say the media just loves the SEC without good reason - but the fact that the SEC school has won each time - and usually convincingly - and by 4 teams, or 1/3 of the conference - tells us that the SEC is the premier college football conference, period.

Forum List

Back