"List greatest conservative accomplishments last 20 years": The answer he

The greatest accomplishment of conservatives in the last 30 years is getting the military back to the best in the world! It started with Reagan and today no one can stand toe to toe with the US on the battle field.:salute:

How's Iraq and Afghanistan going for ya....:cool:

There is a difference between toe to toe and insurgency. Do you think any nation in the world could defeat the US military? That was my point! Insurgencies by fact are longer and less defined than conventional warfare. Back in the Cold War we grew up with the ever present menace of Soviet aggression in Europe and the threat of MAD. Today that menace is a distant threat if it exists at all. The conservative movement brought about this state of affairs. Sure we are not at peace but in the history of mankind have we ever really been at peace? No nation dares to attack us conventionally today except maybe the crazy Koreans and we live here in this country free of that threat except for the occasional terrorist attack.

"If your phone bills are a fraction of what they were 30 years, thank a conservative"
for my phones that don't work properly. After a 1 hour wait to speak to someone in a foreign country who understand nothing, my carrier tells me my phones are bad. The phone manufacturer says there is nothing wrong with my phones but they will be happy to exchange my phones for replacements that won't work.
If your plane fares are lower than they were 30 years ago, thank a conservative
for overcrowded planes, understaffed and overworked employees, charges to make a reservation, charges to cancel a reservation, charges to change a reservation, charges to check bags, charges to carry on bags, charges for food, charges to board the plane, and mustn't forget the newest charge, a charge to use the toilet.
If your stock brokerage commissions are lower, thank a conservative
for a AAA bond that's worthless after 2 years due to lack of regulations.
If there are fewer people on welfare now, thank a conservative for 4% of Americans that go to bed hungry and 14 million without jobs.

Oh, I got forgot to say thanks. Thanks for nothing.

I'd be careful riding in those planes. The way conservatives deregulated everything before Obama took office, they might start dropping like flies.

Really?
Point to three areas of deregulation under Bush. Don't just make them up, now.

Poor dumb fuck. You make it too easy.

OSHA

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/washington/25osha.html

EPA

Bush Forces Deregulation in Waning Days of Administration - ProPublica

Bush administration officials, in their last weeks in office, are pushing to rewrite a wide array of federal rules with changes or additions that could block product-safety lawsuits by consumers and states.

Bush Rule Changes Could Block Product-Safety Suits - WSJ.com

Voluntary Compliance is a Government Shell Game

EPA's Voluntary Compliance is a Government Shell Game - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

submitted November 8th, 2007, by Stephen L. Johnson, the Bush-appointed director of the Agency. In his testimony, Johnson argued that the EPA should not have to regulate CO2 emissions as pollutants

------------------------

And I just got warmed up. I didn't even cover "fracture gas drilling", which Bush completely deregulated and contamination has been reported in 34 states.

Wall Street - deregulation moved morgages from Freddie/Fannie, which led directly to the housing collaspe.

Man, I could go on for 8 years. Which is how long Bush are the Republicnas spent deregulating so their odious selves could squeeze every cent they could out of this country and their dumbfuck base doesn't even know it. Lemmings. That's what Republicans are.

Fail. Utter fail.
And you fail as a poster RDean. Your posts aren't even worth the time to read, much less respond to. Iggy you go.

I think we can safely say that no, the country is not more conservative, on balance, than it was 20 years ago.

So for all the bluff and bluster of the rightwing propaganda machine for the past 20 years, and for all the money the clowns like Limbaugh and his copy cat colleagues have made selling the snake oil of conservatism and selling the false hope that conservatism can win, and the outright lie that conservatives have been winning...

...it's all been one big 20 year FAILURE.

If you are atheist, but live according to the 10 commandments anyway, you are practicing conservative values.

You realize that's almost impossible?

And why the hell do you get to claim general non-political traits such as 'saving money' are conservative traits? Isn't that dishonest of you?

If you think societies function better with the nuclear family rather than the breakdown of the nuclear family, you not only are thinking like a conservative, but agreeing with proven sociological studies.

Such as? No family structure has been proven to be a guaranteed failure.

But hey is trying to make the nuclear family the only option there is a conservative value?

If so then a free market isn't a conservative value.

nd according to the liberal ideology, that evil does not exist,

And the record for world's biggest straw man goes to...

List the social conservatism causes of 20 years ago that have measurably advanced between then and now.

Lower tax rates for the very wealthy.

List the social conservatism causes of 20 years ago that have measurably retreated in the last 20 years.

Uncivil rights.

Lower tax rates is fiscal conservatism and what exactly are you referring to with uncivil rights?

List the social conservatism causes of 20 years ago that have measurably advanced between then and now.

List the social conservatism causes of 20 years ago that have measurably retreated in the last 20 years.

Uncivil rights.

Lower tax rates is fiscal conservatism and what exactly are you referring to with uncivil rights?

How are lower tax rates while running a deficit fiscal conservatism??

Lowering taxes and cutting expenses by the same margin is fiscal conservatism

For the record, I'm as liberal as they come, but didn't Nixon open up relations with China? I don't know if that's what you were looking for, but I would like to see more listing and less bickering, since that's what the OP asked for.

Also, I know many Republicans supported the Civil Rights Act, since that was more of a North/South split, not a Republican/Democratic split.

Come on guys, even if you're not conservative, at least put some effort into it.

nixon was probably the most liberal president we've had in my lifetime.

he'd be run out of the republican party today just for suggesting that there be an EPA.

who are we kidding?

that's lie number one: it's because of social security, a LIBERAL accomplishment. Before it existed, 50% of all senior citizens lived in poverty.

Nobody lives a comfortable retirement off of Social Security. You can barely get by on that. It does pad one's retirement, however, but cannot be used as the sole tool for retirement.

Thank the school, but not the parents? Don't you think the parents are the ones primarily responsible for shaping the lives of their kids? If children are successful in school the odds are they have parents at home who actively participate in their education and encourage them to succeed. The kids that don't usually have parents who don't take the time to give a crap.

Almost nobody makes the minimum wage. Even high school students tend to find jobs that pay more than that.

80% of millionaires are self made.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html

Again, that's speculation. You don't know that the single mother at home isn't encouraging her child to get out of the ghetto. I do agree, though, in this scenario a good teacher likely plays a role.

Very true.

I would argue that some of what is considered progressive is in itself regressive as well.

there hasn't been a conservative solution to any problem... ever.

That's not true. We've had very successful economic booms due to more conservative economic policies. Presidents like John Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, and George Bush 43 understood what made an economy tick and all of them practiced fairly conservative economic policies when it came to limits on taxation and enabling growth.

Bear in mind, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here I am neither conservative nor liberal, but both political ideologies have their good points and bad points. I don't think either one of you have made a very compelling case.

Biggest tax increase in history - Ronald Reagan.

Second biggest tax increase in history - Bill Clinton.

Bush 43 - started two wars costing 3 trillion which he kept out of all his budgets. Gave a 2.4 trillion dollar tax cut to mostly the rich. Gave a free drug program to the elderly for votes costing 1.3 trillion right off the bat. Just those three things gave him a 6.7 trillion dollar deficit that he handed off to his successor. During his entire 8 years, only 3 million jobs were added to the economy. Democrats controlled the Senate during the last two years of the Bush administration by a vote of 49 to 49. There were TWO independents. Not a single significant piece of legislation was passed because the Republicans obstructed everything even worse than they do today.

So out of those named, only George Bush no 43 actually followed conservative principals. And anyone who thinks he understood anything has shit for brains.

reagan is not responsible for the largest tax increase in american history....

nice try, but you're not getting away with that lie

If you see a selfless soldier or cop, carrying a gun into a danger area, on behalf of strangers, and getting no recognition or wealth from it, that is a conservative success story.

I find this one to be somewhat puzzling. My father was a police officer for well over 30 years--decorated even. Do you believe that indicates he was a conservative, politically?

It indicates as a statistical Fact that he was MORE LIKELY TO BE ONE. Take a guess at just how many currently living Active Duty and Retired Military self Identify as Conservative and or Republican. Not sure on the Retired but current active duty self identifies as Conservative at a rate of 70%.

Last edited:
If you are atheist, but live according to the 10 commandments anyway, you are practicing conservative values.

And why the hell do you get to claim general non-political traits such as 'saving money' are conservative traits? Isn't that dishonest of you?

If you think societies function better with the nuclear family rather than the breakdown of the nuclear family, you not only are thinking like a conservative, but agreeing with proven sociological studies.

But hey is trying to make the nuclear family the only option there is a conservative value?

Conservatism in itself is non-political. It's the idea that the individual can succeed without the government.

It is entirely possible to be an atheist, but still live according to the 10 commandments.

- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife.

And the other 7 of course we all know. Point is, living by them is simply good morals that an atheist could easily live by. The guy could even be a Democrat, living by conservative values, and not even realize it. Conservatives and liberals aren't exlusive to a party. Bush was a liberal for example. And thats my point. Conservative values succeed, regardless of a person's political party or religion. Republicans have long forgotten that idea. Hope they will come back to it.

As for the nuclear family, as a sociology graduate from college, I've seen many of the studies. Look at the African American community, for example. 70% of black youth are born to single moms and have no father figure. How has that worked out for them? It is well documented that a child growing up with a father and mother in the house is better off in life than without.....on average. There are of course exceptions. And I am aware of the studies with 2 gay or lez parents and how children come out ok, and I am interested in seeing more studies on that, but having the mother AND father role in the house is of huge importance, as not every child has the mental make-up to succeed as the exception without both parents, and we have seen the government's well intended attempt to replace the father influence through social programs has failed.

Uncivil rights.

:clap2:

Yes, we agree on this one. That is why so many on the right were pissed off by Bush. He did lower taxes, but increased spending far too much, and left the border wide open. Aside from the war, he was basically a liberal with an R by his name.

So, that is the ideal the modern Tea Party conservatives are looking for. We must cut spending. Our deficit is a growing crisis, and if we stay on this path, we have no choice but massive tax increases to keep afloat.

I for one don't want that. I don't believe we still need a military presence in Germany and Japan, and can bring those expenditures to a close. Ideally, relocated to the US/Mex border. Secure that and we can move to immigration reform.

And of course, I think there needs to be a massive exercise and fitness initiative in our country. By the private sector or public, but that will solve 70% of our health problems if we get our fat population in shape. There are so many "municipal golf courses" by tax money around, but how many free government gyms, with treadmills and weights?? Very few. We could better use that recreation money to improve fitness, not provide more leisure activity.

But of course, none of that will work without the good conservative value of personal responsibility.

Quote: Originally Posted by bucs90

Kind of tough getting past the first one isn't it?

Yes, we agree on this one. That is why so many on the right were pissed off by Bush. He did lower taxes, but increased spending far too much, and left the border wide open. Aside from the war, he was basically a liberal with an R by his name.

So, that is the ideal the modern Tea Party conservatives are looking for. We must cut spending. Our deficit is a growing crisis, and if we stay on this path, we have no choice but massive tax increases to keep afloat.

I for one don't want that. I don't believe we still need a military presence in Germany and Japan, and can bring those expenditures to a close. Ideally, relocated to the US/Mex border. Secure that and we can move to immigration reform.

And of course, I think there needs to be a massive exercise and fitness initiative in our country. By the private sector or public, but that will solve 70% of our health problems if we get our fat population in shape. There are so many "municipal golf courses" by tax money around, but how many free government gyms, with treadmills and weights?? Very few. We could better use that recreation money to improve fitness, not provide more leisure activity.

But of course, none of that will work without the good conservative value of personal responsibility.

Conservatives are as fat as anybody

So, that is the ideal the modern Tea Party conservatives are looking for. We must cut spending.

Tea Party wants to cut spending only on programs that don't benefit themselves. Let me see them offer up cuts in Social Security, Medicare or Veterans benefits and I will take them seriously

Conservatism in itself is non-political. It's the idea that the individual can succeed without the government.

It is entirely possible to be an atheist, but still live according to the 10 commandments.

- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not steal.

And the other 7 of course we all know. Point is, living by them is simply good morals that an atheist could easily live by.

I meant the keep the holy day sabbath one.

- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not steal.

You don't have to be Christian to know the first two are morally wrong

As to the third. if she is lounging around the pool in a thong bikini....all bets are off

Oh, so Bush was a "liberal"? He must have been because he was such a lousy president. He was like Midas, only everything Bush touched turned to shit.

Well, I got news for you. Bush was THE perfect conservative. He exemplified the Conservative ideal. Make the rich richer. Fuck the country. Squeeze every cent you can out if it. Push religion over science. Yep, that's a conservative, and Bush was their "leader".

Trying to make Bush a "liberal" is hilarious. Sarah Silverman at her best, or worst.

Oh, so Bush was a "liberal"? He must have been because he was such a lousy president. He was like Midas, only everything Bush touched turned to shit.

Well, I got news for you. Bush was THE perfect conservative. He exemplified the Conservative ideal. Make the rich richer. Fuck the country. Squeeze every cent you can out if it. Push religion over science. Yep, that's a conservative, and Bush was their "leader".

Trying to make Bush a "liberal" is hilarious. Sarah Silverman at her best, or worst.

I have a lot of fun posting here because the Moonbats tend to overreact, but you're dangerous, there's is something really wrong with you, you are seriously fucked in the head, you're a Boooosh commemorative stamp away from going postal, have any of your friends pointing out how loony you are?

Conservatives are as fat as anybody

So, that is the ideal the modern Tea Party conservatives are looking for. We must cut spending.

Tea Party wants to cut spending only on programs that don't benefit themselves. Let me see them offer up cuts in Social Security, Medicare or Veterans benefits and I will take them seriously

Agree again, being a disgusting fat-body has no party labels. All of America is too f**king fat and lazy. We drink, smoke and eat crap. It gives us high BP, stroke, heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer, and a host of other health issues related to simple fitness and nutrition. Fix that, fix the healthcare problem. But that doesn't sell politically in the world of entitlements and making life hunky dory, easy and pain free.

The Tea Party comment you made has some merit, I will give you that. It is a new movement, and a lot of it's followers are just getting politically active for the first time. And SS, Medicare and Vet benefits are an issue. I think the overwhelming issue amongst those, along with welfare, is to root out the fraud in each of them first. How much is wasted by people abusing the government programs? THAT in my opinion is the place to start. I think we need some moderate social safety nets. It's humane. But we have allowed a LOT of fraud and waste through the programs that implement them. How to do that? Well, we have to get serious about cutting spending first. Cut the fraud and abuse of those government programs, then re-evaluate the bottom line. I also support pulling our military out of Germany and Japan so save some money, as we are no longer needed in either country.

Forum List

Back