LinuxMint...taking over Ubuntu?

In other words you hate learning:confused:.Are you a murkin living in the EU or a REAL European ?

No, I hate wasting my time on bugs that should not happen.

Changing settings or installing programs should be seem less and easy. Linux Mint is better than most I have tried, but still a long way to go.

It took a while to get Google Chrome installed because Linux Mint does not include it in its software package. I had to go via Terminal since the built in install program refused to work... unacceptable.

SalineOS will do everything you want if you spend 1 hour mucking with the XFCE settings(panel adjustments).

Will take a look.

Clearly you don't understand how operating system releases work.
I would never install a brand new release on a main machine...they put out the "x.0" versions to find what the bugs are so they can fix them...you know...the same thing Windows does except you have to pay them to help them figure out what is wrong...and when they fix all the bugs - they call it a new OS.
I am still running Ubuntu 10.04...and it is flawless. I will switch to Mint 11 soon.
Go with LM10 (Julia) instead.:eusa_shhh:

Changing settings or installing programs should be seem less and easy. Linux Mint is better than most I have tried, but still a long way to go.

It took a while to get Google Chrome installed because Linux Mint does not include it in its software package. I had to go via Terminal since the built in install program refused to work... unacceptable.

Will take a look.

I would never install a brand new release on a main machine...they put out the "x.0" versions to find what the bugs are so they can fix them...you know...the same thing Windows does except you have to pay them to help them figure out what is wrong...and when they fix all the bugs - they call it a new OS.
I am still running Ubuntu 10.04...and it is flawless. I will switch to Mint 11 soon.
Go with LM10 (Julia) instead.:eusa_shhh:

I have LM 10.x on my laptop...like Ubuntu 10 - it just works. I figure by now LM11 has the bugs worked out.

In other words you hate learning:confused:.Are you a murkin living in the EU or a REAL European ?

SalineOS will do everything you want if you spend 1 hour mucking with the XFCE settings(panel adjustments).

Will take a look.

LOL of course I do.. clearly you dont. Beta should iron out most major bugs..

LOL Windows Vista, 7 and even XP worked flawlessly out of the box. Any problems came with 3rd party programs and drivers and those problems were/are extremely limited in Windows 7.

I have never seen a graphical problem and crash in Windows like I have seen in Linux Mint 12.

Will take a look.

LOL Windows Vista, 7 and even XP worked flawlessly out of the box. Any problems came with 3rd party programs and drivers and those problems were/are extremely limited in Windows 7.

I have never seen a graphical problem and crash in Windows like I have seen in Linux Mint 12.
That's because Mint 12 sucks.I gave up on Mint after 10.I gave up Ubuntu after 8.

Will take a look.

If you have ever proved you are a Winboy - your above post seals it.

Windows 95...a new OS that you had to buy that was little better than a beta. SUPER buggy.
Windows 98 SE...an updated Windows 95....that you had to buy...still buggy.
Windows 2000...Windows 95 3rd and final fix....that you had to buy...finally a fully stable and solid Windows 95....that you had to buy
Windows ME...a disaster..that you had to buy.
Windows XP...Windows 2000 on NT Filesystem with some graphical tweaks...VERY buggy at the start...that you had to pay for.
Windows XP...after 2 service packs...a very stable OS...that...unbelievably....you did NOT have to pay for.

Windows 95...a new OS that you had to buy that was little better than a beta. SUPER buggy.
Windows 2000...Windows 95 3rd and final fix....that you had to buy...finally a fully stable and solid Windows 95....that you had to buy
Windows XP...Windows 2000 on NT Filesystem with some graphical tweaks...VERY buggy at the start...that you had to pay for.
Windows XP...after 2 service packs...a very stable OS...that...unbelievably....you did NOT have to pay for.

LOL.. and what exactly is the difference between say Linux Mint 11 and 12.. or 10 and 12? .. there has been more updates to Linux Mint in 5 years than there has been to Windows in 20...

LOL.. and what exactly is the difference between say Linux Mint 11 and 12.. or 10 and 12? .. there has been more updates to Linux Mint in 5 years than there has been to Windows in 20...

What?...hells fire - a windows PC is wanting to download updates at least a couple times a month.
Updates are a good thing...that means people are addressing problems.
The difference between Linux Mint from one version to another is irrelevant since it doesn't cost anyone one red cent.
The difference between Windows versions is $100's every few years ON TOP of the massive cost in replacing your computer because Windows is a memory whore.

Last edited:

What?...hells fire - a windows PC is wanting to download updates at least a couple times a month.
The difference between Linux Mint from one version to another is irrelevant since it doesn't cost anyone one red cent.
The difference between Windows versions is $100's every few years ON TOP of the massive cost in replacing your computer because Windows is a memory whore.

So you switch to the cost aspect when you figure out your argument is a failure? You do realize that Linux Mint also has updates during its different versions life time right?

So you switch to the cost aspect when you figure out your argument is a failure? You do realize that Linux Mint also has updates during its different versions life time right?

Of course there are updates...when did updates become something that is bad??
LM/Ubunti have updates probably 3-4 times a month - why is this bad?
Windows has mini-updates maybe once a month or so - why is this bad?
Apple has updates about 3 times a year - this is bad...that means they are not addressing problems.

So the cost factor means nothing to you?
Of course I "switch" to the cost aspect...that is one of the foundational differences between Linux/Windows - Microsoft charges $100's every few years for "new" OS's...when in fact there has only been 3 new OS's from Microsoft since 1995.
16 years with three new OS's....however they charged $$ for seven. Those seven were simply updates.
And then there is the cost factor of buying new computers to run another ever-bloating Microsoft OS.
If you want to run Win 7 comfortably - you need two processors and 8GB of RAM...at least. You can get by with 4GB if all you do is surf the internet.
If you want to run Linux Comfortably - one processor is fine and 2GB of RAM is PLENTY.
4GB of RAM and you will be screaming fast.

Apple gets by easily with less memory - MS OS's are absolute memory whores...and each "new" OS requires more and more.
Do you realize how much RAM 8GB is??????

LinuxMacPcPerceptions.jpg

Of course there are updates...when did updates become something that is bad??
LM/Ubunti have updates probably 3-4 times a month - why is this bad?
Windows has mini-updates maybe once a month or so - why is this bad?
Apple has updates about 3 times a year - this is bad...that means they are not addressing problems.

You were saying that Microsoft updates aka new versions of Windows were bad,... not me. And if Microsofts Windows updates/new versions are bad, then it also must be so with every other OS.

So the cost factor means nothing to you?

It use too. But back then I did not have a legal version of Windows. When Vista came out and you could get it for around 100 euros, then I became "legal" and has been ever since.

Of course I "switch" to the cost aspect...that is one of the foundational differences between Linux/Windows - Microsoft charges $100's every few years for "new" OS's...when in fact there has only been 3 new OS's from Microsoft since 1995.
16 years with three new OS's....however they charged $$ for seven. Those seven were simply updates.
And then there is the cost factor of buying new computers to run another ever-bloating Microsoft OS.
If you want to run Win 7 comfortably - you need two processors and 8GB of RAM...at least. You can get by with 4GB if all you do is surf the internet.
If you want to run Linux Comfortably - one processor is fine and 2GB of RAM is PLENTY.
4GB of RAM and you will be screaming fast.

Apple gets by easily with less memory - MS OS's are absolute memory whores...and each "new" OS requires more and more.
Do you realize how much RAM 8GB is??????

LOL seriously! Windows 7 Starter runs on 1 GB ram. And 4 GB ram is more than enough for Windows 7... been running with 4GB since beta.

Windows 7 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

and how does that compare to Linux Mint and Ubuntu?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Same pretty much

Linux Mint.. funny enough cant find recommend minimum requirements on their homepage (I might be blind) but according to Wikipedia.. it is exactly the same as Ubuntu..

As for Mac OS.. /shrug. It is a closed and handicapped OS.. I cant take it seriously as long as Apple releases new versions where WIFI does not work

OS X Lion: Serious Wi-Fi Disconnect Problems for Macs, And Solutions? | iLounge Backstage

I bet it is a memory problem! Oh and yes, Mac OS can run on less ram, but then again there are so few programs for Mac OS, that having to open multiple programs at the same time is limited!... (yes a small jab at Apple and minor joke).

Never heard of Linux Mint before I read the name here... not too hard since I dont follow the Linux scene that much :eusa_whistle: . Always been an Ubuntu user (years ago) and on the crappy pcs a Puppy Linux user.

I have now installed Linux Mint and am somewhat impressed. Only issue I had on install was the lack of "brains" the installer had in finding the free space I had made on my harddisk for the linux install.. had to go to the partition manager and do quite a lot of voodoo, something an average user would not be able to do. But then again Ubuntu aint much better on this issue if I remember right.

But the system it self is semi smooth, although either because my machine is too slow (doubtful... E7300 Intel and 4 GB ram) or there is something wrong with the install, I do have areas where the system gets slow as hell and basically freezes for a bit. Loading my picture folder into the background took ages...And chrome browser feels much slower in Linux than in Windows, plus in general the system feels sluggish (barely but noticeable) compared to my windows install.

But the software packages included are good, and after a lot of tinkering the desktop seems more windows familiar than I have ever had on a Linux machine. But it did take a lot of tinkering.

One thing I love with Linux is the Skype client.. that is so much better than the bloated piece of shit Windows is being fed.

But as usual, I always get back to the issue... no games, hence I find myself having to reboot all the time to my windows install to play my games. Wine and Playonlinux are hellish to get to work so that I have given up for now.

Wine? Why not use VirtualBox?

Forum List

Back