LinuxMint...taking over Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by iamwhatiseem, Nov 12, 2011.

1. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    As one could expect, after Canonical released the disaster Unity desktop - Ubuntu users are literally flocking to LinuxMint in droves.

Hopefully Canonical realizes that its "Coke moment" needs to die immediately.

Linux Mint: The new Ubuntu? | ExtremeTech

2. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,357
    Yeah, they definitely are trying to cut their own throats with Unity, they should have made it completely optional. It's the primary reason I switched to Mint.

3. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    I left Ubuntu and went to Mint years ago.Now, with a pending Gnome fiasco coming, I switched to an XFCE based Debian stable system, SalineOS.

4. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,357
    The new Unity desktop will probably be more appealing to those who like real simplicity. It seems they have fixed the bugs and made it much faster but I doubt it will work all that well with older machines.

5. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,357
    :eusa_eh:

6. Ropey

Ropey To Life! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,979
    "pending"

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    What pending Gnome fiasco?
    Anyhow...like I said when Unity first came out - this is a big blunder.
    How could Canonical look past the fact that Linux users are advanced computer users that very much want to control their own systems.

Like I also said...as soon as 10.04 is no longer supported - I am switching to Mint also on my main system. I have two monitors, one of them is a 40" HDTV...using HDMI I watch all kinds of videos/TV shows etc. through the PC...and Unity sucked at it.

8. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Gnome three. Haven't fired it up in a few months but I didn't care for it at all.
    Mint Debian is a catastrophe.
    Mint proper uses Ubuntu repos so that leaves me one choice. Debian.Where I started all those years ago.

9. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,357
    Ah, a purist snob. Got it.......

10. PeteEU

PeteEU VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Never heard of Linux Mint before I read the name here... not too hard since I dont follow the Linux scene that much :eusa_whistle: . Always been an Ubuntu user (years ago) and on the crappy pcs a Puppy Linux user.

I have now installed Linux Mint and am somewhat impressed. Only issue I had on install was the lack of "brains" the installer had in finding the free space I had made on my harddisk for the linux install.. had to go to the partition manager and do quite a lot of voodoo, something an average user would not be able to do. But then again Ubuntu aint much better on this issue if I remember right.

But the system it self is semi smooth, although either because my machine is too slow (doubtful... E7300 Intel and 4 GB ram) or there is something wrong with the install, I do have areas where the system gets slow as hell and basically freezes for a bit. Loading my picture folder into the background took ages...And chrome browser feels much slower in Linux than in Windows, plus in general the system feels sluggish (barely but noticeable) compared to my windows install.

But the software packages included are good, and after a lot of tinkering the desktop seems more windows familiar than I have ever had on a Linux machine. But it did take a lot of tinkering.

One thing I love with Linux is the Skype client.. that is so much better than the bloated piece of shit Windows is being fed.

But as usual, I always get back to the issue... no games, hence I find myself having to reboot all the time to my windows install to play my games. Wine and Playonlinux are hellish to get to work so that I have given up for now.