Linux on the Desktop

That is the only problem I have with Linux ... audio apps suck still. :lol:

The best for Midi is Rosegarden ... but Audacity is a pain and doesn't work with all sound cards. I use my Open Movie Editor for it but then you can't tweak the audio much, jut arrange it.

I'm no audiophile, but I'm using Rhythmbox and it doesn't seem to have a problem. That's for playing, not creating. I know a couple of years ago, audio was still a big problem, but I haven't had a problem this time. Supported hardware is more than half the battle though.

I tried to run GIMP in windoze once. It crashed almost immediately. I just rolled my eyes. I'd used GIMP a bunch in Linux and it never crashed. So, I knew where the fault was. Shocker, windoze fails again!

The highest version of Gimp I got working on Windows XP was 1.2 ... I needed it because it's the only graphics app that can use png alpha transparency perfectly. Even the costly graphics apps mess it up a lot. I couldn't even get the Gnome package needed to work well with Windoze.

It's time for the bell to start tolling on Windoze. I think the only reason people won't change at this point is that "one apps" that only runs on windoze. But, we can start to move them in the right direction. We can just put up a terminal server and run those one or two apps on that. Or a stand alone PC in a corner with Winduhz on it. It's definitely going in my next tech plans for my clients.

Oddly the most common reason people give for not making the switch is their "need" for MSOffice ... I keep telling them, Open Office does it all and more. They can even install and try OOo on their Windoze comps to see. Only a few have ... but then they find another excuse not to change. Some say the games, but Wine takes care of that. Only a few games won't run on Wine still, and the list is shrinking since a lot of games are seeking to port to Linux now ... and for good reason. Mac will now run Linux programs natively, so now the software industry is seeing true compatibility ... but MS has no intent to open up, they are in fact doing the reverse, which will ruin them. Since more are buying Macs or converting to Linux every year being able to just write one program for every computer is a huge benefit to the software industry. If MS doesn't follow Apple's game plan, they will vanish sooner than later. Thousands were switching to Linux the last decade, and the number is growing, the better Ubuntu gets the more people making the switch. Just go to a tech store and mention Ubuntu ... at least a few people will start raving about it. :lol:

The highest version of Gimp I got working on Windows XP was 1.2 ... I needed it because it's the only graphics app that can use png alpha transparency perfectly. Even the costly graphics apps mess it up a lot. I couldn't even get the Gnome package needed to work well with Windoze.

It's time for the bell to start tolling on Windoze. I think the only reason people won't change at this point is that "one apps" that only runs on windoze. But, we can start to move them in the right direction. We can just put up a terminal server and run those one or two apps on that. Or a stand alone PC in a corner with Winduhz on it. It's definitely going in my next tech plans for my clients.

Oddly the most common reason people give for not making the switch is their "need" for MSOffice ... I keep telling them, Open Office does it all and more. They can even install and try OOo on their Windoze comps to see. Only a few have ... but then they find another excuse not to change. Some say the games, but Wine takes care of that. Only a few games won't run on Wine still, and the list is shrinking since a lot of games are seeking to port to Linux now ... and for good reason. Mac will now run Linux programs natively, so now the software industry is seeing true compatibility ... but MS has no intent to open up, they are in fact doing the reverse, which will ruin them. Since more are buying Macs or converting to Linux every year being able to just write one program for every computer is a huge benefit to the software industry. If MS doesn't follow Apple's game plan, they will vanish sooner than later. Thousands were switching to Linux the last decade, and the number is growing, the better Ubuntu gets the more people making the switch. Just go to a tech store and mention Ubuntu ... at least a few people will start raving about it. :lol:

I hope you are right. I've been talking about the footsteps echoing in the distance for M$ for the last 8 years. It has been apparent that M$ cannot kill Linux. They cannot use their typical FUD tactics to undermine it. And, Linux has a version output rate much higher than M$. So, it has been obvious that at some point Linux would catch up and pass M$.

Some corporations have already made the switch. I know Burlington Coat factory switched maybe 3 years ago or more. But, more need to do it. Once corporations have it, users will want the same thing they use in the office for home. That will drive the market. Novell has been working on management of Linux Desktops since their purchase of SUSE Linux 5 years ago. ZENworks is doing a good job of corporate management of the Linux desktop and it's a mature product.

I hope you are right. I've been talking about the footsteps echoing in the distance for M$ for the last 8 years. It has been apparent that M$ cannot kill Linux. They cannot use their typical FUD tactics to undermine it. And, Linux has a version output rate much higher than M$. So, it has been obvious that at some point Linux would catch up and pass M$.

Some corporations have already made the switch. I know Burlington Coat factory switched maybe 3 years ago or more. But, more need to do it. Once corporations have it, users will want the same thing they use in the office for home. That will drive the market. Novell has been working on management of Linux Desktops since their purchase of SUSE Linux 5 years ago. ZENworks is doing a good job of corporate management of the Linux desktop and it's a mature product.

One major benefit to this "economic downslide" is that a lot of small businesses are switching as well, once they see Ubuntu in action they want it installed in place of Windoze ... since it's free and I do their technical assistance for a lower price than any MS agent does ... they save a fortune and as long as they don't have some idiot with a degree mess with it, I usually get only a few emergency calls from them. So the OS market is shifting, and businesses are learning, if only they would regulate the industries less so smaller businesses would have a better chance of becoming major corporations ... carrying along with them the knowledge of better tech. MS is strong because of the major corporations that have strangle holds on their industries and long term contracts with MS that are holding Linux back right now.

The truly sad thing is MS was heading in the right direction at one time ... up until Windoze 2K they were doing things right ... but when Windoze 2K was released I saw their downfall begin. They started closing up their APIs and pushing Open Source aside ... I knew they would start to fall apart at that point. The only event I hadn't foreseen was Mac become so popular, and now Apple has chosen to open up Mac's OS, basically merging with Linux. Once they are done with this advancement MS will be unable to compete without following the same plan. Once Mac joins the Open Source way of tech they will have the best of both worlds, the customer service their customers pay for now combined with the versatility and compatibility of Open Source ... my new prediction is actually a tech market of competition once again, because of this. It will be a programmer's paradise again.

I've been a fan of Linux for a long time. I've used it for many servers and doing specific IT tasks that Linux does better than most other operating systems for years.

When it comes to using Linux on the Desktop I was always disappointed. I would usually try it and then reach some point where I just couldn't function without Windoze. A few days ago I reached my limit with M$. After the umpteenth problem with Vista not working right (this time it decided that I didn't have network. Sometimes it decides I don't have a mouse and sometimes it just won't boot), I decided, screw it, I'm going to Linux.

Well, I was prepared for the usual pain in the ass, but M$ had me so pissed off I didn't care. I installed Ubuntu 9.04. No problem there and there really hasn't been an install problem with Linux for years. Usually the problem comes with usability. This time however, I've been surprised and shocked at how user friendly my new Linux laptop is. WAAAAAYY better than Visduh.

Is anyone else running Linux on the Desktop? Would you?
What is it you guys do to winders that causes all these problems?

I run two versions of XP (home and pro) and vista on My laptop. My middle daughter has a Macbook and the oldest has Unbutu on her laptop (though she hates it)

In all that, I have not had a problem with any of them. The biggest problem was not liking some features and the XP home wouldn't run a game but the XP pro would.

I liked Redhat as a linux platform, but since they started charging for it, I stopped using it.

Linux however, is the number one O/S for web servers and almost can't be broken.

[/QUOTE]Ok, I'm jealous of your coding ability. I haven't written anything since college COBOL 85....lol. My wife does all the dev work. I'm strictly networking, security and auditing these days.[/QUOTE]
And from your signature you haven't learned ANYTHING since Cowidiot Ronnie.

Last edited:
I've been a fan of Linux for a long time. I've used it for many servers and doing specific IT tasks that Linux does better than most other operating systems for years.

When it comes to using Linux on the Desktop I was always disappointed. I would usually try it and then reach some point where I just couldn't function without Windoze. A few days ago I reached my limit with M$. After the umpteenth problem with Vista not working right (this time it decided that I didn't have network. Sometimes it decides I don't have a mouse and sometimes it just won't boot), I decided, screw it, I'm going to Linux.

Well, I was prepared for the usual pain in the ass, but M$ had me so pissed off I didn't care. I installed Ubuntu 9.04. No problem there and there really hasn't been an install problem with Linux for years. Usually the problem comes with usability. This time however, I've been surprised and shocked at how user friendly my new Linux laptop is. WAAAAAYY better than Visduh.

I run two versions of XP (home and pro) and vista on My laptop. My middle daughter has a Macbook and the oldest has Unbutu on her laptop (though she hates it)

In all that, I have not had a problem with any of them. The biggest problem was not liking some features and the XP home wouldn't run a game but the XP pro would.

I liked Redhat as a linux platform, but since they started charging for it, I stopped using it.

Linux however, is the number one O/S for web servers and almost can't be broken.

I wish I could say I had some amazing demands that I'm putting on my laptop. But, I can't. The worst thing I do to it is take it to a number of environments. I'm a consultant, so I attach to several different networks. Outside of a web browser, an e-mail client, Visio and an RDP client, I barely even asked Vista to run programs.

It's biggest issues seemed to come when I would use it at home, usually all weekend, then take it to the office where there was a docking station. The the results were very random. Often it would not complete the boot process.

I support a lot of clients with Windows XP. I haven't had much of a problem with those. My home PC and the other 7 PCs I have at home are Windows XP. I have one Windows 2003 server running as a VM on my newly installed ESXi VMware server. XP seems somewhat inefficient, but other than that I don't have any real complaints.

I'm about to put my daughter on Ubuntu for work. We'll see whether she likes it or not. Obviously, it isn't great for gaming because they don't make a lot of high-end games for Linux.

Ok, I'm jealous of your coding ability. I haven't written anything since college COBOL 85....lol. My wife does all the dev work. I'm strictly networking, security and auditing these days.[/QUOTE]
And from your signature you haven't learned ANYTHING since Cowidiot Ronnie.[/QUOTE]

Look Everybody....Apparently Steve Ballmer's screen name on USMB is DOUGER.

I wish I could say I had some amazing demands that I'm putting on my laptop. But, I can't. The worst thing I do to it is take it to a number of environments. I'm a consultant, so I attach to several different networks. Outside of a web browser, an e-mail client, Visio and an RDP client, I barely even asked Vista to run programs.

It's biggest issues seemed to come when I would use it at home, usually all weekend, then take it to the office where there was a docking station. The the results were very random. Often it would not complete the boot process.

I support a lot of clients with Windows XP. I haven't had much of a problem with those. My home PC and the other 7 PCs I have at home are Windows XP. I have one Windows 2003 server running as a VM on my newly installed ESXi VMware server. XP seems somewhat inefficient, but other than that I don't have any real complaints.

I'm about to put my daughter on Ubuntu for work. We'll see whether she likes it or not. Obviously, it isn't great for gaming because they don't make a lot of high-end games for Linux.
That is strange. It works well with the docking station? I had a laptop that would crash continually right after we took it off the docking station. But that was Winders Me and I figured, it was just winders ME. ME was the worst piece of shit ever coded and that is saying something as I've seen some really shitty...er...shit...LOL

As for the Ubuntu, it really doesn't work well as a desktop. The kids now days have all grown up on either winders or Mac. Most of them are lost in the GUI on a linux platform.

I have never had any problems at all, with any OS. I simply refuse to ever get Vista, and it looks like MS is going to force it. So, I went to Ubuntu.
Well, the only problem I've ever had with a WinO/S was Me. Piece of shit that was. 95 was better.

I've not had a single problem with Vista other then the BS about not being able to disable the notice every time you want to run a web application. You'd think that once you flagged it as safe, the O/S would say, Oh, okay. Go ahead. But not Vista.

But that is a minor problem and I haven't had even that with the new Windows 7. I have it on a very old Dell box. In fact, it shouldn't even run on that box, but I have it set up and have been testing it. I can't say I'm all that impressed.

Ubuntu here (since Feisty) but before that I started off on FC 3.0. I just put Ubuntu Studio on this computer - those of you who are high end users for audio, video, graphics might want to take a look at it. I am not a high end user in those areas and I won't use a third of what's available in Studio but you may be able to use the apps to their full extent.

Ubuntu here (since Feisty) but before that I started off on FC 3.0. I just put Ubuntu Studio on this computer - those of you who are high end users for audio, video, graphics might want to take a look at it. I am not a high end user in those areas and I won't use a third of what's available in Studio but you may be able to use the apps to their full extent.

Audio still needs a little work, I still can't figure out how to get Audacity to work on mine and just figured out how to get Rosegarden (for MIDI) to work with the built in sound banks. Have you tried the new 9.0 Ubuntu yet? I haven't gotten around to it and was wondering if they got the automated configuration for XServer working yet. I hate messing with hardware stuff because I always make a fatal mistake when I do.

I had big sound problems with Pulse some time ago but I disabled the onboard card and it worked fine. I'm with you on the Xserver thing, I stuffed it up a few times and had to work things out using a tiny little console window, got it reversed though. That gave me the sweats. I had difficuties with the Nvidia drivers as well, tried to install an update and lost the video completely. I stayed away from Envy for that reason. It would be good to see some improvements there.

I'm using 9.04 now. I may have a look at Karmic Koala and see how it goes.

Last edited:
I had big sound problems with Pulse some time ago but I disabled the onboard card and it worked fine. I'm with you on the Xserver thing, I stuffed it up a few times and had to work things out using a tiny little console window, got it reversed though. That gave me the sweats. I had difficuties with the Nvidia drivers as well, tried to install an update and lost the video completely. I stayed away from Envy for that reason. It would be good to see some improvements there.

I'm using 9.04 now. I may have a look at Karmic Koala and see how it goes.

The last time I tried the upgrade I couldn't get it working again, and I need it for Blender to work, without OpenGL Blender just won't work. As it is I may have to recompile the Blender updates manually again because they added some new features, it would be nice to have that automated. But oh well, I'll have to get the new CD eventually and try it again.

Forum List

Back