Linux Mint Fluxbox Edition

Steerpike

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2007
Just installed it. Sleek and fast. And they've made fluxbox look pretty nice in the process. Check it out. To me, Mint has Ubuntu beat.

I did a clean install of Mint 9 a few weeks back and had nothing but problems because of some code source changes used in 9. Fought it for a week and decided to go back to Mint 8. Haven't had any issues since reverting. I'm a bit surprised they released 9 with the compatibility issues with older programs, How Microsoft of them. Maybe I'll give it a try later, if not I'll wait for 10 to come out.

Better than Ubuntu huh? I'm on Lucid Lynx right now and loving it. No problems since the install.

Debian for Server, Pardus Linux for home Computer.
Member Steerpike is right, Gnome is more responsive then KDE.
I left KDE at 3.5 version, which still is faster then the 4 version. KDE is bloated with many things you don't need.

Window managers etc. I do not really care anymore. On Server I've no window manager installed, even not X window. From my work with server the console habbits transfered to home computer. Now, I make most things through console and mc (midnight commander).
P.S: Best native Editor is Geany. Console editors like nano or vi are a pain.

Last edited:
Linux Mint has generally worked better for me than Ubuntu. It usually recognizes more hardware, and I like the way the menus are set up and that sort of thing.

For example, on my current laptop, the most recent version of Ubuntu doesn't recognize my video card properly "out of the box," and I have to install the wireless driver manually. Linux Mint 9 recognized both.

Ubuntu is very good, however. Mint has just worked better for me, and linux "newbies" that I've installed Linux for also seem to prefer it to Ubuntu. It's more user-friendly.

Better than Ubuntu huh? I'm on Lucid Lynx right now and loving it. No problems since the install.

Mint is Ubuntu ramped up meaning it's built from Ubuntu making it even more user friendly. Most drivers you'll need are in the install so you don't have to hunt for them. Video and audio codecs are built in so again.......

Exactly, Ringel.

When I install Ubuntu, I've always go to manually install some drivers for my hardware, and go online and get some other things installed to make it all work right. With Linux Mint I didn't have to do that, even with the Fluxbox installation, which is usually a bit more minimalist than a Gnome or KDE version of a distro.

And as I said, Linux noobs seem to really take to it quickly, so it has been good in getting some people who aren't computer experts to use Linux.

Exactly, Ringel.

When I install Ubuntu, I've always go to manually install some drivers for my hardware, and go online and get some other things installed to make it all work right. With Linux Mint I didn't have to do that, even with the Fluxbox installation, which is usually a bit more minimalist than a Gnome or KDE version of a distro.

And as I said, Linux noobs seem to really take to it quickly, so it has been good in getting some people who aren't computer experts to use Linux.

While I actually like the feel and look of Ubuntu better I much prefer the usability of Mint. Most people want "point and click" plus "plug and play", Mint is the closest I've seen to that in the Linux distro field.

While I actually like the feel and look of Ubuntu better I much prefer the usability of Mint. Most people want "point and click" plus "plug and play", Mint is the closest I've seen to that in the Linux distro field.

One of my favorites is Crunchbang Linux. Nice quick distribution.

I wanted to try Gentoo, since it is supposed to be so customizable during installation, but I'm afraid the installation itself was beyond my meager Linux skills.

One of my favorites is Crunchbang Linux. Nice quick distribution.

I wanted to try Gentoo, since it is supposed to be so customizable during installation, but I'm afraid the installation itself was beyond my meager Linux skills.
I've started keeping an older Dell P-4 to play with different distros. I haven't tried either one of those yet, but then I've been kinda busy with other things.

Forum List

Back