Linux Distributions

Innumerable versions have come and gone.
The key (my opinion) to choosing a distribution is to stay as close to the mothership as possible.
Debian, Gentoo, Fedora( Redhat), Slack, SUSE.
If your flavor vanishes ( they often do) you have the option of going back to the original.

My first love was Stormix ( Debian) then I was playing with Progeny being tweaked by Ian (as in Deb-Ian). He needed a real job and went to SunMicro so I jumped on Xandros, back to Debian proper, on to Ubuntu, on to Mint and now LinMintDE then Saline. You see the theme.
I'm a Debian guy with an interest in Slackware, which is the way to really understand how Linux works ( albeit a pain in the ass compared to Debian).
Slack is good. Real good. The average person had best avoid it and stick with the Debian based stuff--- specifically the offshoots that provide all of the "non-free" goodies that enable internet activity.
The Purists at Debian have a "contract" to use only " FREE" software.... as the great unwashed master, Richard Stallman, has declared as sanctified, making Debian pure still difficult fore those transitioning to a real operating system from perpetually broken Window$

The success of Ubuntu and Mint are simply due to the fact that their creators broke the "rules" making Debian available to anyone, hence their huge success.

I must give the Developers at Debian full credit. Even though I think the "contract" is stupid, without those guys and gals I'd likely be typing this from a Mac.... since only an idiot uses Windows ( unless forced to at-for work)

There's another kid in town. A browser called Midori. The current in Debian stable is shit(2.?).
The one in testing ROCKS.
It's lined up likely as default in Saline2.0 when Debian freezes Squeeze and gets headed to put out 7.0
Personally, I think it's ready but Debian makes DAMN sure nothing is broken in new releases.

Innumerable versions have come and gone.
The key (my opinion) to choosing a distribution is to stay as close to the mothership as possible.
Debian, Gentoo, Fedora( Redhat), Slack, SUSE.
If your flavor vanishes ( they often do) you have the option of going back to the original.

My first love was Stormix ( Debian) then I was playing with Progeny being tweaked by Ian (as in Deb-Ian). He needed a real job and went to SunMicro so I jumped on Xandros, back to Debian proper, on to Ubuntu, on to Mint and now LinMintDE then Saline. You see the theme.
I'm a Debian guy with an interest in Slackware, which is the way to really understand how Linux works ( albeit a pain in the ass compared to Debian).
Slack is good. Real good. The average person had best avoid it and stick with the Debian based stuff--- specifically the offshoots that provide all of the "non-free" goodies that enable internet activity.
The Purists at Debian have a "contract" to use only " FREE" software.... as the great unwashed master, Richard Stallman, has declared as sanctified, making Debian pure still difficult fore those transitioning to a real operating system from perpetually broken Window$

The success of Ubuntu and Mint are simply due to the fact that their creators broke the "rules" making Debian available to anyone, hence their huge success.

I must give the Developers at Debian full credit. Even though I think the "contract" is stupid, without those guys and gals I'd likely be typing this from a Mac.... since only an idiot uses Windows ( unless forced to at-for work)

Most are Windows point and click types, it's where I'm coming from which is why I prefer Mint. I'm learning more about Linux because I want to, most have no such desire, they only want to know that it turns on (boots up) and when they click on something it works and all the magic happens.
Purists are great for open source but they need to understand they are a very small minority and the great unwashed masses will never be them not do they want to be them. It's why I'm thankful for Ubuntu and Mint recognizing this reality and working towards making Linux distros as user friendly as the expensive big boys. If the trend continues eventually there will be Linux distros that people will choose in quantities equal to Windows as well as still having distros designed specifically for the purists.

I agree with your statements. Anyone who cant handle using Ubuntu or Mint ( or SalineOS) really needs to be institutionalized at this point...............of course I've seen Window Washed idiots that came to my hotel and couldn't navigate a Macbook. ( free access laptop in the rooms)
Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. What's a FiyaFaux ? Doze i hafta go on a Safawee to get my Hotmail ? Wahhhhhhhhhhhh.
I only used Exployyyah.
Fuck'em.

Hey. You didn't think I wasn't going to be me in a thread this large didja :confused::eusa_angel::tongue::lol::lol::lol:

I agree with your statements. Anyone who cant handle using Ubuntu or Mint ( or SalineOS) really needs to be institutionalized at this point...............of course I've seen Window Washed idiots that came to my hotel and couldn't navigate a Macbook. ( free access laptop in the rooms)
Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. What's a FiyaFaux ? Doze i hafta go on a Safawee to get my Hotmail ? Wahhhhhhhhhhhh.
I only used Exployyyah.
Fuck'em.

Hey. You didn't think I wasn't going to be me
in a thread this large didja :confused::eusa_angel::tongue::lol::lol::lol:

No..... :lol:

I just want the field to be leveled (Windows having serious competition)
It is never good when one maker has 90% of the marketplace in anything.
That is a guarantee for dying innovation and sloooow progress in technology...which is exactly what we have with Windows.
Look what Firefox did - it forced M$ to finally upgrade their 90's era browser and enhance security - both of which would probably still not have been done if FF never came along.
I want Linux to become a bigger player for no other reason than it will hopefully spur innovation.
Example - Just look at the changes in phones and the music industry - all spawned by Apple. The huge success in Apple's ideas forced everyone else to get better in a hurry or close their doors.
The same thing needs to happen in the television industry.

Television / You mean teleblinding, right ?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwiFrN-fZTg]All about Ubuntu TV - Interview - YouTube[/ame]

TV ?
Here.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jYj1gio7qE&feature=relmfu]CES 2012 - UbuntuTV First Look - YouTube[/ame]

I also just discovered something while reading about the differences between Unity Shell and Gnome Shell. In Ubuntu 12 one can download Gnome Shell from the Software Manager reboot and select Gnome Shell at the login instead of Unity.

Nice isn't it?
Just like the music industry - television via "all or nothing" plans where you have to pay for 300 channels to get the 20 that you want is antiquated and encourages piracy. I am always surprised to see just how many people are using torrents and sites like "VEEHD" to watch TV episodes and movies for free.
Steve Jobs said it perfect - (not a direct quote) "Most people want to be legal, but when left with choosing between paying $16 to buy 10 songs to get the 2 they want - or go online and get it for free? - YOU encouraged them to commit piracy"
The television industry needs to do the same or they too will face mass piracy in the next few years.

Nice isn't it?
Just like the music industry - television via "all or nothing" plans where you have to pay for 300 channels to get the 20 that you want is antiquated and encourages piracy. I am always surprised to see just how many people are using torrents and sites like "VEEHD" to watch TV episodes and movies for free.
Steve Jobs said it perfect - (not a direct quote) "Most people want to be legal, but when left with choosing between paying $16 to buy 10 songs to get the 2 they want - or go online and get it for free? - YOU encouraged them to commit piracy"
The television industry needs to do the same or they too will face mass piracy in the next few years.

I think NetFlix has already pretty much changed the paradigm. I watch tons of TV series on NF and often wonder why I should bother with cable.

Nice isn't it?

I think NetFlix has already pretty much changed the paradigm. I watch tons of TV series on NF and often wonder why I should bother with cable.

All I pay for is a local package at $9 per month...the rest I get from Amazon Prime and various others.
Screw them - i am not paying $100 a month for 290 worthless channels for the 10 I want.

Have an old computer you want to breath new life into? SalineOS, MacPup and Lubuntu are Linux distributions great for older machines.
MacPup is based on PuppyLinux but with more 'splash', it works off a thumb drive or CD and loads on your RAM so if you have a bad hard drive you can potentially recover all or most of your data, even if it's Windows.
SalineOS and Lubuntu are based on Xfce. Both are light and fast but your software options are limited however if its productivity you're interested in they're perfect. I did notice that SalineOS doesn't always work well with many of the newer machines, lack of hardware drivers is to blame.
Lubuntu is a (soon to be certified) version of Canonicals Ubuntu distribution and has come out with the newest 11.10 version currently offered by Ubuntu and Mint so you won't have a problem with drivers.
As for the Ubuntu 12 and Mint 12, the Linux big dogs (so to speak), I wouldn't recommend putting them on a any system that isn't at least a Pentium 4 with 2 GBs of RAM if you want super fast speeds.

Honestly Ringle, I have Mint 12 on a Dell Mini-9 Netbook, with a single core Atom and 1GB of RAM, and it runs fine.

Didn't say it won't run fine but if you're used to speed, like I am, it's much better with a duo core and 2 gigs of RAM, super fast, much faster then Windows. Hell It's on my "test" system, Dell 4550, (IDE) Pentium 4, 1 gig of RAM and a half a gig NVidia graphics card but it doesn't run nearly as well as the dual boot I have on my primary AMD Phenom II x2 (SATA 2) with 8 gigs of RAM and a one gig NVidia card..... obviously.
The lightweight distros run as fast on the Dell as Mint 12 does on my primary home built.
I also have a switch out hard drive with Win 7 on it that I run on the Dell, both it and the Mint 12 distro run at about the same speed.
Again notice I stipulated "super fast speed".

Which do you use?

I'm using Pardus, but I'm testing different versions at the moment, and maybe will make a permanent switch. Maybe.
I've tested Debian Wheezy (Testing branch) the last days and I run Debian Lenny (Stable) in non-X environment on Servers.

I've never run Linux Mint, but they've released a version which has Debian Testing branch in its source, they call it "LMDE".
Download - Linux Mint
Has anyone tried this?
It is similar to Debian Cut project (no release so far).

Another Linux Version I'll test is Aptosid, which has Debian Sid (Unstable) as its source.
I have read only good things about it so far, and what they say is, that it is one of fastest KDE implementation.
aptosid.com :: aptosid - Debian hot and spicy!

At home I'm limited to KDE due to KDE's perfect and stable implementation of ssh/sftp (fish://) handling. Gnome, XFCE etc. all suck in this regard.
The only thing I can not figure out is the behavour of remote file-saving. Only Kwrite/Kate will save the files immediately to remote machine.
If I modify files with Geany (best Text-Editor) or Gedit, I first have to close Geany/Gedit and only then the Filebrowser asks if the modified file should be uploaded.
It doesn't save the files immediately on remote machine, but makes a copy on local machine in /tmp/var/kde-cache. Be it with Pardus or Debian.

If I mount the remote machine with sshfs/fuse then I can instantly save the files from all Text-Editors. But sshfs is too slow with Directory-browsing within mount-point, it takes seconds to display contents within folders if there are more than 20 files or folders within a folder.

Please post in English, not Turkish.

Which do you use?

I'm using Pardus, but I'm testing different versions at the moment, and maybe will make a permanent switch. Maybe.
I've tested Debian Wheezy (Testing branch) the last days and I run Debian Lenny (Stable) in non-X environment on Servers.

I've never run Linux Mint, but they've released a version which has Debian Testing branch in its source, they call it "LMDE".
Download - Linux Mint
Has anyone tried this?
It is similar to Debian Cut project (no release so far).

Another Linux Version I'll test is Aptosid, which has Debian Sid (Unstable) as its source.
I have read only good things about it so far, and what they say is, that it is one of fastest KDE implementation.
aptosid.com :: aptosid - Debian hot and spicy!

At home I'm limited to KDE due to KDE's perfect and stable implementation of ssh/sftp (fish://) handling. Gnome, XFCE etc. all suck in this regard.
The only thing I can not figure out is the behavour of remote file-saving. Only Kwrite/Kate will save the files immediately to remote machine.
If I modify files with Geany (best Text-Editor) or Gedit, I first have to close Geany/Gedit and only then the Filebrowser asks if the modified file should be uploaded.
It doesn't save the files immediately on remote machine, but makes a copy on local machine in /tmp/var/kde-cache. Be it with Pardus or Debian.

If I mount the remote machine with sshfs/fuse then I can instantly save the files from all Text-Editors. But sshfs is too slow with Directory-browsing within mount-point, it takes seconds to display contents within folders if there are more than 20 files or folders within a folder.

Please post in English, not Turkish.

decoding-leetspeak.jpg

leet.jpg

Forum List

Back