Linux Distributions

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
Which do you use?

I'm using Pardus, but I'm testing different versions at the moment, and maybe will make a permanent switch. Maybe.
I've tested Debian Wheezy (Testing branch) the last days and I run Debian Lenny (Stable) in non-X environment on Servers.

I've never run Linux Mint, but they've released a version which has Debian Testing branch in its source, they call it "LMDE".
Download - Linux Mint
Has anyone tried this?
It is similar to Debian Cut project (no release so far).

Another Linux Version I'll test is Aptosid, which has Debian Sid (Unstable) as its source.
I have read only good things about it so far, and what they say is, that it is one of fastest KDE implementation.
aptosid.com :: aptosid - Debian hot and spicy!

At home I'm limited to KDE due to KDE's perfect and stable implementation of ssh/sftp (fish://) handling. Gnome, XFCE etc. all suck in this regard.
The only thing I can not figure out is the behavour of remote file-saving. Only Kwrite/Kate will save the files immediately to remote machine.
If I modify files with Geany (best Text-Editor) or Gedit, I first have to close Geany/Gedit and only then the Filebrowser asks if the modified file should be uploaded.
It doesn't save the files immediately on remote machine, but makes a copy on local machine in /tmp/var/kde-cache. Be it with Pardus or Debian.

If I mount the remote machine with sshfs/fuse then I can instantly save the files from all Text-Editors. But sshfs is too slow with Directory-browsing within mount-point, it takes seconds to display contents within folders if there are more than 20 files or folders within a folder.

Remote file saving? You can use all sorts of methods to do that..from ftp, nfs, nis, and scp to name a few.

What are you trying to do?

Main computer is Ubuntu 10.04 (I installed 11.0, but reverted - I hated it)
Laptop 1 - Linux Mint 11...very good OS..solid..requires very little additional tweaking after install.
Laptop 2 - Linux Mint 10.x...just haven't upgraded it yet (daughters and she is in college)

Laptop 3 - Ultimate Edition Ubuntu...what a riot...the install is something like 3 GB. It has the most flashiest- gay looking theme on the planet...it comes with virtually every Linux program pre-installed. It takes about 3-4 minutes to boot up. It is hilarious.

Laptop 1 - Linux Mint 11...very good OS..solid..requires very little additional tweaking after install.
Laptop 2 - Linux Mint 10.x...just haven't upgraded it yet (daughters and she is in college)

Laptop 3 - Ultimate Edition Ubuntu...what a riot...the install is something like 3 GB. It has the most flashiest- gay looking theme on the planet...it comes with virtually every Linux program pre-installed. It takes about 3-4 minutes to boot up. It is hilarious.

You can turn off the services on Laptop 3. You probably aren't using a good many of them.

You can turn off the services on Laptop 3. You probably aren't using a good many of them.

Absolutely....it has to be the most overdone OS on the planet...even more than Windows. I installed it for the helluvit a few months back...wow...whoever designed the themes is either a flaming shemale or designed it while on LSD.
I can't remember now - but the memory it eats while just sitting still is amazing.

Absolutely....it has to be the most overdone OS on the planet...even more than Windows. I installed it for the helluvit a few months back...wow...whoever designed the themes is either a flaming shemale or designed it while on LSD.
I can't remember now - but the memory it eats while just sitting still is amazing.
:lol:

You can open up a terminal session and type in..

ps -ef | more

It will show you exactly what your process table looks like.

ps -ef | more

Ever notice how much memory Firefox hogs?
I like my firefox...but it uses way too much resources.

Remote file saving? You can use all sorts of methods to do that..from ftp, nfs, nis, and scp to name a few.

FTP requires FTP to be installed on Server and running it as a service, so I can connect to it.
NFS doesn't have secure encryption like sftp (3des encryption).

Look, this is the window-header of every Text-Editor except Kwrite/Kate
milgem5.png

It opens and saves the file on local machine instead of remote machine.
Only if I close the Text-Editor and switch to Filebrowser (Dolphin/Konqueror) then the Filebrowser offers to upload the file on remote machine.

If I mount the remote-machine with sshfs, all Text-Editors behave as they should (direct saving on remote machine).
But it is too slow (directory browsing), even if I change encryption of ssh to something which needs less computing like arcfour and disable compression.
I have some folders on Server which have lots of files within them, so directory browsing is very slow with this solution.

I also created a new user on remote-machine, the same as on local machine and established connection over this new account and chowned all files which I edit, but still the same behavior.

ps -ef | more

All internet browsers are memory hogs.

FTP requires FTP to be installed on Server and running it as a service, so I can connect to it.

milgem5.png

Only if I close the Text-Editor and switch to Filebrowser (Dolphin/Konqueror) then the Filebrowser offers to upload the file on remote machine.

If I mount the remote-machine with sshfs, all Text-Editors behave as they should (direct saving on remote machine).
But it is too slow (directory browsing), even if I change encryption of ssh to something which needs less computing like arcfour and disable compression.
I have some folders on Server which have lots of files within them, so directory browsing is very slow with this solution.

I also created a new user on remote-machine, the same as on local machine and established connection over this new account and chowned all files which I edit, but still the same behavior.

Try using scp.

scp - Linux command line tool to copy files over ssh

I used it all the time in shell scripts.

Great tool.

milgem5.png

Try using scp.

Great tool.

Sooo...what the heck do you do?
You in IT?

milgem5.png

Try using scp.

Great tool.

Sooo...what the heck do you do?
You in IT?
Yes, yes he is........

it-movie.jpg

ps -ef | more

Seven is a tad better.Still not as good as Chrome.

Sallow, I can not create tmpfs mounts on my Webserver, "permission denied".
So I try to save some files into /dev/shm. How I understand it, this location is shared memory folder, and my shared memory is 4GB with the company where I host my Websites.
But, when I save some files to this location the df command keeps increasing the used disk-space.

I'd like to save my Website for logged-out users into cached files, and this functions already.
But I'd like to save those files into RAM. I can install memcached or redis which provide exactly this option, but they unnecessarily run services and are just a go-between between my Website and Linux-Ram.
I'd like to save those files into RAM without a go-between as I think, that is faster.

You know about Linux, and you mentioned that you use it for work. Maybe you know a little bit about /dev/shm or Shared Memory and you have time to explain that.
Thank you.

Just (re)loaded Mint 12 the first edition with an all Gnome 3 interface. Why reloaded? Well I loaded it and being the, 'I like the old fashioned, familiar things' I was unfamiliar with the interface and changes so I decided to try other distributions (most were current releases). First off I tried Kubuntu, but the interface was much like the new Gnome 3 besides Gnome has hundreds more applications to chose from.
Next I decided to go back to Ubuntu 11.04 then Mint 11.04 but suddenly they seemed old and unpolished so I decided to try Ubuntu 12 again since I had found work arounds to disable and uninstall Unity but that left the interface looking like the old Gnome 2 but without the full usability of the 11.4 desktops.
I've tried Fedora, RedHat, OpenSUSE, Linux Pup and Xfce versions and I keep coming back to Mint. So now I have Mint 12 loaded and I start doing the same thing when I loaded my first Linux distribution and that is explore, read and use. Other than some things I'm still learning and some simple functions that are no longer there I'm starting to enjoy this new interface. Clean, crisp and modern and while it took a little time to get used to the Gnome Shell, which kept popping up when I accidentally moused over it, I'm starting to find it very useful.
For me the only drawback is I'm a gamer, I like my video games and since Linux is open source the big name game developers won't write games for it....... yet........
One definite positive is the system I'm running it on is an old Dell 5440, Pentium 4 with 1 gig of RAM and a NVidia 1/2 a gig graphics card and it's just as fast (if not faster) then the Windows XP that was originally on it.

Last edited:
My main rig is SalineOS 1.5. It's the most stable and fast thing I've used since the Xandros days.XFCE but based on squeeze so K DE wouldn't be any problem to install .
My GF's rig is Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 dual booted with Vector 7.
Lucid pup is Ubuntu compatible and the newest, Slax Pup, is Slackware compatible but Vector, also pure Slackware, is better.
Keep in mind I'm an XFCE guy.

Every time i've run KDE I keep looking around me expecting a guy in a mouse suit to show up:eek: selling caramel corn.:tongue:

My main rig is SalineOS 1.5. It's the most stable and fast thing I've used since the Xandros days.XFCE but based on squeeze so K DE wouldn't be any problem to install .
My GF's rig is Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 dual booted with Vector 7.
Lucid pup is Ubuntu compatible and the newest, Slax Pup, is Slackware compatible but Vector, also pure Slackware, is better.
Keep in mind I'm an XFCE guy.

Every time i've run KDE I keep looking around me expecting a guy in a mouse suit to show up:eek: selling caramel corn.:tongue:

All good distros, again based on one's knowledge and preferences not for everybody. I found this list from 2002. I wonder how many are still around and how many new ones have been added.

LWN Distributions List

I almost forgot, Mint 12's default search engine is now DuckDuckGo but you still have the option of using the standard, Google, Chrome, etc. The reason is it's a total open source search engine that does not track you, eliminates filter bubbling (designing search results based on your browsing habits) and when you use it to buy online Mint gets revenue from it, lots of revenue from it. :thup:

Forum List

Back